IGNORED

The Tragic Tale of a Legendary Concert Bootlegger

Joyrex

Appeared on Kernel Mag: http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/6498/the-tragic-tale-of-a-legendary-concert-taper/

Mike Millard earned his “Mike the Mike” nickname by taping now-legendary shows by some of the biggest names in 1970s rock music. For Millard, taping concerts was his life. A perpetual recluse, Mike obsessed over his tapes and their destinies. But in 1990, it all came to a tragic end. The tale of Mike Millard is one that has been whispered in underground circles for decades, perhaps now it’s time for him to receive the recognition he never received in his lifetime.

Little is known about Millard’s early life in California. The story begins in the early 1970s, when the biggest rock acts of the time would play the LA Forum as part of their West Coast stadium tours. For a music fan such as Mike, a concert was a glorious, fleeting moment – but one that should be captured and cherished. Taking his inspiration from bootleggers – people who sneak audio recorders into concerts – Mike developed an ingenious method to make the best recordings of all time.

Really fascinating look into the bootlegging scene of the 1970's and beyond.

I always love diving into such history, cassette culture and bootlegging are both phenomenons that can't be replicated now with the ease of digital recording and sharing. I rarely read about the bootleggers themselves, and this is a fascinating glimpse. Usually my awe has been reserved at the obsessiveness of the collectors, especially ones who try to complete their collections for groups like Pink Floyd or Grateful Dead. It's too bad he succumbed to depression, his ingenuity and enthusiasm in the practice seems to encapsulate 70s bootlegging culture perfectly.

Great article. Such a terrible ending for this man who never got the attention he deserved. Recordings made just for the love of music. Today it seems so antique. But I love his attitude, just without knowing him.

It's cool that some of his recordings got out but burning the rest and throwing pennies at loud fans make him sound like a bit of a cunt.

He made the recordings so at least he can decide what he want to do with it. Am I a cunt because I keep things from my hobby hidden from the public? Nobody has thanked him the job he did when he was alive, people just cared about his estate rather than the person itself. I would have it done myself that way.

And what is more annoying than whistles, screams or lately talking people when you want to record a concert? I can see what he wanted to archive and seen from the notes, the musicians who later said he recorded the best boots out are the result of his clear attitude towards his recordings.

Archived