IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Guest Gravity

I just realized Sean's earlier comment about the cover of Exai could be construed as saying there's some meaning there that fans have missed.

Does the mystery of Exai's cover art have yet to be cracked in some way?

it's a koala

tumblr_mezhvztWp51qc5r3po1_500.jpg

1382453590_image.jpg

I just realized Sean's earlier comment about the cover of Exai could be construed as saying there's some meaning there that fans have missed.

it's a koala

1382453590_image.jpg

cant unsee

Would either of you like to name my synth?

IMG_0349.JPG

chuckshene

btw none of our gear has ever been named afaik, this isn't something we do to ourselves.

it's a koala

1382453590_image.jpg

Ahaha that's hilarious because I was staring at the cover a few days ago, and thought about the exact same thing.

There is a quite interesting book by Jan St. Werner (of Mouse On Mars) & Klaus Sander from 2006 called "Vorgemischte Welten" (Pre-mixed / Prepared Worlds) where they discuss about music composition / innovation etc in the age of Ableton & Co where you can basically build an entire discography on preset sounds and beats only - like cooking with deep-frozen food. Their argument is that this sort of preset-based production has killed innovation in music and simply interesting music.

Would you agree with that? And have you ever tried to work with presets of plugins / softwares only (and achieved anything satisfying)?

i think its been the same situation since presets were put there.

we have

though there are plenty of arguments to the contrary - like we grew up listening to music with hundreds of tracks illustrating variations on say how a DMX or an 808 through a studio desk can turn out, i think custom is better overall, cos its more you. but only if thats the point.

Can you name my desktop computer? It's old and dusty, if that makes any difference.

Heater

Edited by Rob Ae

Guest 30equals

Ever thought about doing a Autechre goes classical show ? Tracks converted into scores for an orchestra ?

Tracks like vletrmx21, tewe, O=0, etc.. would suit the occasion for sure.

Edited by 30equals

Ever thought about doing a Autechre goes classical show ? Tracks converted into scores for an orchestra ?

Aye I'd love to hear Arch Carrier performed with a string ensemble - Not sure how they'd do the percussion though !

Hello Gents.

Was wondering about the soundtrack work. I know you can't talk about current things in development (or not) but I did want to know if there were any films you wish you could have scored, or how you would have approached the scoring of certain genre films (say Blade Runner, or Alien for example)

Thanks!

Aye I'd love to hear Arch Carrier performed with a string ensemble - Not sure how they'd do the percussion though !

Altibzz on flutes.

i feel like untilted > untilted tour > quaristice > quaristice tour was like 1 big creative chunk of exploration. has working out live stuff from 1 record always contributed to the next album as much as it did with that stuff?

yeah this throughput was useful defo, but hard to answer definitively cos live sets were very often a separate setup cos we ether a) not like to 'do' studio tracks in live context. like whip out bass cadet on request. b) couldn't do it with the gear we wanted to jam onstage with. c) or other.

but after each tour we'd come back to reset, untitled/elektrons et al - like sean said earlier were easy to get out the box after moving house/studio…. so it was a starting point to mess with what was in there.

then moving on from hardware live setup, had the effect like in reverse.

theres been a strong sense of contribution from previous live set to the following album, but not always in literal use of gear terms. sometimes just a reaction to it. not sure if that is clear tho'

Edited by Rob Ae

Is there anything more hilariously distressing than the sound of a broken merry go round:

http://www.sweetthunder.org/tapes/tapefindings/week119/11_76Trombones.mp3

http://www.sweetthunder.org/tapes/tapefindings/week119/12_TheSoundofMusic.mp3

Is there anything more hilariously distressing than the sound of a broken merry go round:

this

shit i need to insure my ribs, this is the sonic equivalent to the bull wallet versions

Edited by Rob Ae

"in a world ruled by immediacy and ease , contemporary artists try to deconstruct reality, and reconstruct it in a much complex way, which offers all kinds of prospective and aspects" : do you relate to this statement?

another two smaller questions:

have you ever used modular synthesizers? what do you think of this kind of instruments?

is there any chance to see you live in Italy?

not really too attached to statements about contemporary artists, i mean not to miss the point of the q much, but if people have more options, i expect more outcomes, dunno.

yeah we have a handful of modulars, real and unreal, bought and made.

yeah we visit Italy almost every time. we've had lots of support from italian people thanks!

thank you for replying.

concerning modulars, how much do you use them in the studio? because it happens to hear some sounds in your record that make me think: "that awesome sound... must be a modular!"

good, that suggests its deep - which is nice because i have a tendency to feel that modulars give deeper results - and the studio right now is all maxmsp.

for other older tracks - that depends on which tracks your thinking of

like tapr in Draft 7.30, the texture in the background sounds a lot like a modular patch. could it be?

"in a world ruled by immediacy and ease , contemporary artists try to deconstruct reality, and reconstruct it in a much complex way, which offers all kinds of prospective and aspects" : do you relate to this statement?

another two smaller questions:

have you ever used modular synthesizers? what do you think of this kind of instruments?

is there any chance to see you live in Italy?

not really too attached to statements about contemporary artists, i mean not to miss the point of the q much, but if people have more options, i expect more outcomes, dunno.

yeah we have a handful of modulars, real and unreal, bought and made.

yeah we visit Italy almost every time. we've had lots of support from italian people thanks!

thank you for replying.

concerning modulars, how much do you use them in the studio? because it happens to hear some sounds in your record that make me think: "that awesome sound... must be a modular!"

good, that suggests its deep - which is nice because i have a tendency to feel that modulars give deeper results - and the studio right now is all maxmsp.

for other older tracks - that depends on which tracks your thinking of

like tapr in Draft 7.30, the texture in the background sounds a lot like a modular patch. could it be?

to me most of the texture here appears in the foreground.

Would either of you like to name my synth?

IMG_0349.JPG

chuckshene

btw none of our gear has ever been named afaik, this isn't something we do to ourselves.

cheers! I don't name my instruments either since I feel like words are a poor substitues for just turning it on and letting it speak for itself.

I've been into your music since I was in highschool, helped me through a lot of rough times, I won't go on because you've already got a massive task of reading all this stuff so thanks!