IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

Is it possible to see a musical collaboration involving you & Oneohtrix Point Never in the future?

is there any audio available from the last gig at DOUR festival belgium, it was amazing and i was stoned like helll while people in front of me were puking out their drugs, it was with VxSx and otto von schirach i would like to hear that again

I have that one! Dour 2007, right? I was there too. You forgot to mention Luke Vibert.

Man, I log off from WATMM for a few days and this happens.

I should do it again see if richard does something.

Q: Do you guys like Jungle?

Q2: Do you like owls?

Q3:

Is it possible to see a musical collaboration involving you & Oneohtrix Point Never in the future?

Thank you for this! love the music! :music:

I believe in this Q&A you said you didn't keep any quaristice tour soundboards. But I believe during that tour you also had some guy expressly shooing away any fans that tried to plug in to get a soundboard (or so I heard). We speculated that maybe you didn't want people ripping the soundboard because you planned to have some sort of live release later, or planned to keep the bits for later use on an album. It sounds like that wasn't the case, after all. Do you think you'd make a different decision now, re: keeping soundboards or letting fans record them, or do you like keeping the live stuff strictly live?

k I wanna be in on that gear naming thing,

I would be honored if you guys would give a name to

--- my E.Machinedrum

---- my (modded) E. Analog Four

(I can baptise them myself then)

your machinedrum is now called keith

your analog 4 is now called pierre

Any chance on collaborating with a Japanese singer again? The track with Mari Hamada is beautiful.

Have you used Renoise beyond the experiments with Venetian Snares?

maybe, it was a laugh, altho they remixed the hell out of it. the original mix we did was better imo (unreleased)

yeah we used renoise a fair bit, haven't personally for a few years tho

How such artist as Mari Hamada comes to an idea to have her tracks remixed by you? I mean, I would expect Tortoise to be really into experimental music or Radiohead, given to Thom Yorke's admiration of your work, but Hamada? It is quite surprising for me.

labels

some thing that confused me loads...do EPs that you do contain tracks that did not fit for lack of space on the CD, or couldn't you finish them in time?

neither

Guest hertsdonut

Appreciate you taking the time to do this guys.

Rob & Sean: You listen to much Actress stuff? Guy is pushing boundaries, feel that he has a similar aesthetic to AE in that his music operates somewhere in the outskirts of the (avant garde)techno-continuum. A lot of stuff he's done sounds really electro too. Same thing in regards to his live sets and yours, in that they're usually pretty dancefloor.

Please name my casio CZ-1000 (i found it in a skip if that helps)

Edited by hertsdonut

Thanks again for doing this, guys! Hope you feel comfortable enough with it to stick around regularly, or at least consider doing a session like this again one day.

How the hell did y'all get the main synth in Glitch (the one that starts the track) to sound so random, pulling in and out? I can guess as to how I'd replicate that sound now with current software, but I can't imagine how the hell you two figured it out back in 94 or whatever.

Do you remember where the sample/s at about 24 minutes into the infamous Radio Mix (...the police are gonna raid you!) come from? I'm guessing some old radio show or another....

Were there any outtakes from the Peel Sessions you guys did?

I've got a live rip of a New York show from 2000 supposedly at a venue called 10 degrees. What drum machine/routing of drum sounds are you using in the first bit of that set? The sounds it morphs into are fucking amazing and I've always loved them. I cannot wrap my head around what the hell y'all were doing there.

Did most tracks on Untilted start out as different bits of tracks that you then patched together?

Why didnt you come to the Elevate Festival in 2005 ? (if you dont remember just ignore)

I recognize you have been often to Austria , you have some relations with Austria ?

just curios !

How many people are or have been involved with Gescom over the years? Has there been a release were neither of you have been involved?

I missed your gig in my town in Finland for the Untilted tour, which would have bummed me out since I had just moved to Ireland at that time but it all worked out as I caught you in Dublin during the same tour, which was great. Hope you enjoyed your Finnish visit, even if the gig was during the day and hopefully you will be back in the future.

prob quite a lot, i'd guess about 15-20, it's hard to say cos so many are fleeting or were just around for one gig or something

thanks

if some fan asked you to remix one of his own tracks...would you do it?

iirc that happened already

omg this wasn't a draem! sup autechre!!!!

what do you think about flying lotus his music? imo i think he's great and has a lot of talent he uses well

why didn't he ask you for a track for gtaV that would have been awesome

i really like the track he did with earl

hoping he does more straight up hip hop stuff tbh, he's good at it

is it this earl?

Do you ever get together with friends and jam (kind of like the folky gatherings with a pot of shrooms you mentioned here) or has it been mostly the two of you?

yeah that's how a lot of gescom stuff happens

are you sending CV/ Gate out of your computers to external synths with these new computer cv boxes like expert sleepers? or is it Midi or native computer synthesis on the computer in your last couple releases?

You stuck (finely placed lol) in a death metal track into your brilliant FACTmix.

I've always been a bit fascinated if you, (Aphex, BOC and Squarepusher as well!) like metal and if you did what were you're favorites. You're love for hip-hop is pretty obvious but metal/alternative guitar music less so. Do you get up on a Sunday morning and play Reign in Blood at 11?

So maybe you could give us your thoughts?

Regards,

Beerwolf

my dad was well into sabbath, and in secondary school one of my mates was really into metal (this was in like 86) so he'd sort me out with tapes of megadeth, helloween, metallica, iron maiden. i only ever really liked metallica and slayer back then tho. i liked the way it sounded, seemed really advanced compared to the other stuff, or maybe it was just closer to hip hop somehow, having more bass and heavier rhythm aspect to it.

yeah what is it about sunday mornings and metal. my dad used to do it too.

k I wanna be in on that gear naming thing,

I would be honored if you guys would give a name to

--- my E.Machinedrum

---- my (modded) E. Analog Four

(I can baptise them myself then)

your machinedrum is now called keith

your analog 4 is now called pierre

Any chance on collaborating with a Japanese singer again? The track with Mari Hamada is beautiful.

Have you used Renoise beyond the experiments with Venetian Snares?

maybe, it was a laugh, altho they remixed the hell out of it. the original mix we did was better imo (unreleased)

yeah we used renoise a fair bit, haven't personally for a few years tho

How such artist as Mari Hamada comes to an idea to have her tracks remixed by you? I mean, I would expect Tortoise to be really into experimental music or Radiohead, given to Thom Yorke's admiration of your work, but Hamada? It is quite surprising for me.

labels

Oh I see.

By the way, what was the reason for not going on tour with Radiohead? I mean, was it a collision of two different music approaches (in case they wanted you to colab with them on stage) or was it because you were offered being just an opening act for their show (in that case I would fully understand - to play for people that are not really interested...).

Don't you regret the decision a little? I mean, money offered surely must had been good! :-)))

And what do you think about Radiohead's takes on making electronic tracks like Everything In Its Right Place and Kid A? I personally think they are very well produced, the vibe is strong.

Feel free not to answer of course if the questions are too much. I appreciate your time :-)

1. do you still make tracks like amber and the video of you guys live in sheffield? you look at each other and say "time for a dance off" and bang out a wicked club track.

2. i plan on getting a english mastiff one day, it will be as majestic and mournful as the one in the attached image, will you name my future english mastiff?

3. luv u guys :wub:

edit:

4. Do you guys like the smiths? favorite track?

1. yeah we think we're doing dance tracks all the time. i guess we grew up at a time when dance music was seen as being more flexible, before the 4/4 kicks took over

2. your mastiff is now called dmitri

4. nah i never got into them. i do like how soon is now tho

Sorry for all my questions, I'm writing them as I come up with them...

What's with myslb? Would you divulge what it stands for at least?

Do you keep detailed files of tracks, or is it more of a 'well that's track's done, who cares how we got there' sort of a thing?

What are your desert island discs? (let's say 5)

coil - love's secret domain

808 state - newbuild

beefheart & magic band - mirror man sessions

mantronix - music madness

kraftwerk - computerworld

Would you do something like this topic inside the EKT Subforum? Giving tips to producers about their tracks or lecturing them based on a track you did?

What is the best record label besides warp?

Edited by o00o

Do you guys use kyma at all anymore? Also what are/were some of your favorite things to use it for? I saw you mention earlier about the reverbs and totally agree. For me the samplecloud + reverbs are worth the price of admission alone.

1. do you still make tracks like amber and the video of you guys live in sheffield? you look at each other and say "time for a dance off" and bang out a wicked club track.

2. i plan on getting a english mastiff one day, it will be as majestic and mournful as the one in the attached image, will you name my future english mastiff?

3. luv u guys :wub:

edit:

4. Do you guys like the smiths? favorite track?

1. yeah we think we're doing dance tracks all the time. i guess we grew up at a time when dance music was seen as being more flexible, before the 4/4 kicks took over

2. your mastiff is now called dmitri

4. nah i never got into them. i do like how soon is now tho

1. ah yes, i forgot you said that earlier!

2. excellent name

4. apparently johnny marr doesn't remember how he got the guitars to sound exactly like that, he can get it close but not quite the same

You mentioned synaesthesia on page 22. What kind of synesthesia do you have? Is it sound-to-color synesthesia?

(Hello WATMM, I'm a new user and signed up to make use of the chance of asking questions here).