IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

any of you ever get tinnitus? (esp.after too much fm)

how do you get around it, when it stays for a while?(days, weeks)

No i think im lucky, have been stung by onstage sound guy accidents a few times, managed to avoid permanent damage.

Havent tested thoroughly since exai ;)

Do you guys like Turkish delight? If so what flavor?

I like all but the taste.

Rob another taste-checking question. What about Laughing Stock by Talk Talk or Mark Hollis' solo album? I find it really fascinating how they developed from a new wave/synth-pop band to an experimental post-rock legend.

Also, on the gear naming bandwagon.

Can you (sean pls) (or rob, pls) name my sh101 and Yamaha tx81z. The 101 is modded with extra inputs and output so you can get it to modulate itself and create FM acid, if that helps:)

The namegear OP is getting cross with u all grabbing names!!

Shlol and Zibtax respectively.

Amazing. Lol @ shlol

lol at zibtax too. z18 = zib and tx = tax I assume.

Rob another taste-checking question. What about Laughing Stock by Talk Talk or Mark Hollis' solo album? I find it really fascinating how they developed from a new wave/synth-pop band to an experimental post-rock legend.

Sorry i dont have that, but i do rate talk talk and mark hollis. I think sean might have more of his stuff tho'.

Sorry i dont have that, but i do rate talk talk and mark hollis. I think sean might have more of his stuff tho'.

I highly recommend the album to you then. Sean will surely happily lend :-))

any of you ever get tinnitus? (esp.after too much fm)

how do you get around it, when it stays for a while?(days, weeks)

No i think im lucky, have been stung by onstage sound guy accidents a few times, managed to avoid permanent damage.

Havent tested thoroughly since exai ;)

Do you guys like Turkish delight? If so what flavor?

I like all but the taste.

thanks Rob!

hehe you really ARE lucky your ears survived those accidents

also, would you name my es-1 sampler? its mono outputs are bust, but is a mean mo-fo

Do either of you keep up with the Manchester or your local graffiti scenes? Seeing as it's how you fellas met. Do you have favourite writers and do you still paint yourselves?

Yeah locally there are some really talented writers. 3dom does alright round here.

Ask & Soker have done some good colour schemes not unlike syd meads' lusher acrylic pallettes, but i dont get out much, grafs a saturated scene in a way.

Probably old hat by now, but i remember seeing daim for the first time in switzerland on tour years ago, that changed a few things.

I'm sure Daim's moniker is a tribute to the delicious candy pellets distributed by IKEA. Great 3D work though, reminds me of the writer Peeta who I'm a big fan of.

Cyborg.png

Here's something I drew earlier this year while listening to nothing but EP7 on repeat over four - five weeks. Would you consider yourself an obsessive person? I've found if you have an obsession with your work, you're never satisfied with it. Do you feel the same with Autechre releases?

Edited by Lewps

following up on Sean's comment about the ISAM visual show here

oh not to mention the cheesiness of using projection mapping, it's like a corporate presentation or something

is it strange to either of you guys to see the corporate world appropriating the style of imagery presented in Gantz Graf?
I'd imagine it would be somewhat off-putting to create something as amazing as the Gantz Graf audio/visual presentation and have hundreds of knockoffs being used in anything from a car commercial to a scene in a bad hollywood film. this takes me to another question though, what does it feel like to have a ton of people imitating your styles? Was there a conscious decision to just go so ahead of the curve that no one could possibly predict or emulate the future of AE? Or did this just happen on its own (because that's where you are now).

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest Pennywise

im not sure 3 more days of this will be enough. I mean, i have a hundred questions about what foods you guys like that still need to be answered.

marmite?

Edited by Pennywise

What do you guys think of Barack Obama? What do you think of how his presidency tricked a lot of Europeans into thinking America wasn't evil anymore?

Did you guys pick up that new box- set of all the un-earthed David Tudor recordings? If not I highly recommend that you do.

here : http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-David-Tudor-1963-1992/dp/B00BXKAOKW

Are you guys nervous about answering drug-related questions such as

which hallucinogens do you currently enjoy or dabble in?

LSD or mushrooms?

Salvia or DMT?

Ketamine or DXM?

have you ever ingested a drugt like Datura or a high dose of motion sickness pills?

Why does your post Untilted music sound so perfect on dissociative drugs like DXM or ketamine but your music previous to that sounds better on tryptamines?

Have you smoked spice just to see what all the hype was about? Did you think it was dumb?

If mankind encountered some weird extra-terrestrial life form that could only communicate through music, and you were chosen as musical ambassadors for our planet, which track/album would you play for them and why?

I'd go with YJY UX. Most aliens are probably lush

Edited by Candiru

Is there any underlying or intended psycho-sexuality in your music? Have either of you had sex while listening to music you've made? How does it make you feel to know people are having really good sex to your music?

Aphex Twin put a lot of overt sexual references in his music including some pretty disturbing ones. Has it ever crossed your minds to dabble in this territory? I know one of you said the new OPn album was brilliant, did you see that really fucking weird video with all the anime girls urinating? Thoughts?

Edited by John Ehrlichman

What are the weird high-pitched noises at the end of The Trees made from? I've heard something similar in a few electronic tracks (not just ae tracks, even though I seem to remember it being at the end of reniform puls too). It reminds me of FM radio noise when a station is slightly not tuned correctly.