IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Sea'nRob:

We gave this cat, which came last year to us and now permanently lives in our garden/gardens house, the name "Knut", it's a german males name. Now I found out a week ago, Knut is a girl.

Do you have a girls name for Knut meeeoooow please?

knutmcq3i.jpg

frida

Sea'nRob:

We gave this cat, which came last year to us and now permanently lives in our garden/gardens house, the name "Knut", it's a german males name. Now I found out a week ago, Knut is a girl.

knutmcq3i.jpg

What about Sophie?

Not being bothered to sift through 103 pages of random questions and name requests to see if this has already been asked: Could you name a track for me?

your track is now called bottoms

today for example i'm listening to a smart playlist which is sorted by bpm

haha! speeding up or slowing down?

also, actual bpm or computationally guesstimated?

Guest RandySicko

I haven't read all the questions, so don't know if this has been asked (or answered) but

In your opinion why and how do you think music (making and appreciation) evolved in humans?

communication

Gestalt Communication?

Do you like the sound of a particular old computer or game console? Is so, Have a favorite?

i know it's boring but the fm in sega megadrive was really beautiful

esp on games like Taz

This is sort of in response to the Banksy thing;

1) What are a couple qualities that make a work (be it music or visual) good or valuable?

2) or if it's easier, what pisses you off when it comes to shit music or art or whatever?

today for example i'm listening to a smart playlist which is sorted by bpm

haha! speeding up or slowing down?

also, actual bpm or computationally guesstimated?

speeding up, but its happening really slowly, takes like 2 hours to get thru each whole bpm

computationally. but i like that cos some come out half speed or it sometimes plays one with the kicks doing a hemiola thing or whatever, it breaks things up nicely

One of my early favorites of yours is Dropp. I've always kinda seen it as that synth part, the drums, and then swirling stuff.

- The swirling stuff kinda seems triggered or generated by the drums, is that the case?

- Do you remember what synth you used for that first synth line, and how did you sequence it?

This is sort of in response to the Banksy thing;

1) What are a couple qualities that make a work (be it music or visual) good or valuable?

2) or if it's easier, what pisses you off when it comes to shit music or art or whatever?

1 no idea

2 nothing pisses me off about it

Thanks Sean/Phoenix for cat name suggestions. Its a real problem, everybody calls his cat Lacora nowadays. Phoenix, don't take it personally, the mighty fanboyism forced me to accept only a seany name.

Sea'nRob:

knutmcq3i.jpg

What about Sophie?

Or Eva...

One of my early favorites of yours is Dropp. I've always kinda seen it as that synth part, the drums, and then swirling stuff.

- The swirling stuff kinda seems triggered or generated by the drums, is that the case?

- Do you remember what synth you used for that first synth line, and how did you sequence it?

its a nord, sequenced in logic iirc

the swirling stuff is autechre® trade secret

re piezo - funny i was saying similar early on in this thread. definitely a travelling past regular waypoints situation, with large scale moire patterns, then as the strings emerge 2mins in as a horizon rising up. it could work.

Yeah, that's it - kind of vast/epic but contained at the same time. Taking in stuff as it comes along rather than all at once.

The Amber artwork/photos works truly well with the music. Have you been to Cappadocia actually ?

Seems like the promised land for Autechre's fans.

Could you named my semi audiophile 1992 Sony Playstation SPCH 1001 (main cd player) ?

Oh I have one more track specific question. I forgot to ask about Outh9x. It's my favourite autechre track, and I could ask leading questions based on my interpretation of it as a polytonal masterpiece. But maybe I should ask about it in a more general way.

What was it like writing Outh9x? How did you come up with matching that bass melody with those pads? What gear is playing what part?

a lot of that is NMG2, and simmonsSDE. trying to get the tunes to peel off upwards all the time, most of it quick instinctive off the cuff reactions, but we were just quite careful not to rush it i think cos we had to get thebleakerthemorebeautiful bits to really work in the second half.

its a nord, sequenced in logic iirc

the swirling stuff is autechre® trade secret

Damn, are the marble and frying pan used to make Scose Poise trade secrets as well?

Do you like the sound of a particular old computer or game console? Is so, Have a favorite?

i know it's boring but the fm in sega megadrive was really beautiful

esp on games like Taz

I like the same sound.

Can you still hear the hf noise (a sine at maybe 18 khz) in Piezo clocking in at 00:13? For me, it got lost rather suddenly. I remember it well, but now I'm 40+ and once I got back to Amber, it was gone.

Do you often set out with a specific brief before making music? (Such as 'make a beat which inverts the position of the up and down beat over time' or something like that)

fold4wrap5 was a bit of an exercise. these things to toy around for a time, yeah it happens. not always

I love the "EPs, 1991-2002" box, but the collector in me is a bit disappointed that the Basscad EP isn't complete (it's missing the beaumont hannant and seefeel mixes). And I'm also a bit miffed by the fact that EP7 was spread over two discs, instead of keeping it on one disc as I assume it was intended.Why were some Basscadet mixes left out? Why was EP7 split like that? Were those your decisions, or was is Warp's decision and you had no say in the matter?Also, the OCD filetagger in me is confused about the Garbage EP. Originally the tracks were named with numbers (Garbagemx36, PIOBmx19, etc...) But on the EP compilation box those numbers are left out of the tracknames. Was this a mistake, or a conscious decision?

The remixes by other ppl weren't to be inluded on this collection, and the split ep7 i think was a good way to reflect the way it was split onto two vinyl.

The garbage titles weren't left incomplete as such, more like they weren't relevent that way anymore in this collection.

Ah, something I forgot to respond to.

What do you mean, not relevant in that way anymore? What did the numbers refer to?

Also, did you edit your post to make that typo on purpose? ;p

don't make us spoil anything

no its spelled just fine

I'll assume by not answering, I was on to something.

Rob & Sean,

I know nothing of your personal lives, but, like, you guys sitting in your respective homes, answering a bunch of questions from fanboys & girls for most of the day, the past several days.

Aren't your wives/girlfriends like "awwright, can you like fix the damn running toilet, get the kids to school, go pick up some milk & cream, take out the trash, for christ sake, do something besides tappity, tap, tapping on your laptops!!!"???

or

"Oh, you're on watmm dear, let me top off your tea & fluff that pillow...carry on love."?

Don't get me wrong, you guys are f'ing champs for doing what your doing, but aren't you like bored yet?

lol

"...carry on love"

i fluff my own pillows thnx

Seriously though, in deeper context, you guys have spent several days on watmm. You realise now, watmm has slowly crept into some synapses & implanted itself in you. There is no going back I fear. After this experiment is over, you'll go back to your kickass lives, but days will pass. Maybe weeks or months. But, you'll be compelled to come back, you won't know why, but you will post here again. Slowly but surely swallowed into the bowels of watmm.

You will post threads about goatse. You will ponder the true meanings of heat or night. Threads about RDJ's next release will consume you. You will one day be like "who the fuck really was CUP?"

I pray for you.

on a side note, when you guys blow through Detroit again, you should find a way to do a guerilla set at the old packard plant. The Autechre sounds will draw in bald white dudes, (some German, some Polish), and the scrappers already in the plant will have some working music. Would be damn mental.

Holla when you guys come through. Again, cheers for helping me waste my days at work in this thread.

lol