IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Was the "wob" bit near the end of jatavee C intended as an intentional play on what people call dubstep these days? Tongue in cheek, if you will?

Probably not, but many people dropped that word a lot when talking about jatavee C

Did you guys ever incorporated tongue in cheek bits on albums? Did that happen on every album?

I recall an interviewer once asking about the "humour" in some tracks or something. He took Sublimit as an example for some reason. Can't remember what your response was.

its jatevee C, sorry. :P

its just a nice sound thats all the way thru - left on its own near the end. the whole track is clubby so yeah i bet they would.

sublimit is better considered as serious. just buoyant mbe

I've been trying real hard to think of something worth asking about, I'm unsure if these questions are that and/or have been phrased in some way before, but here goes.

1. I want to ask about all that complexity in your music. Is it something purely to keep the mind interested, or do you both find it the best way to communicate that deeper artistic intention behind Autechre as a whole? Being a synesthete myself, looking at the context of the artwork and album track flows, a lot of it suggests a kind of synergistic communication - you mentioned Autechre being bigger than the both of you consciously and I found this a fascinating statement. I know how hard it is to put stuff like an artistic vision into words, but many of your tunes literally go all over the place and I'm curious how that connects with the intention that seems to be going on behind all that work.

2. Your music has the strangest intricate combination of hard and soft, dry and wet, fat steady beats and arrythmic cacophonia. It's clear from most of your posts and your music that you are ultra-committed to getting your production process just the way you want it. Do you ever feel like you lose track of your musical output?

3. In some of your work, you seem to make a thing out of hiding or disrupting melodical content, in the midst of percussion or disharmony/microtonality (An example would be the post 4 minute mark of Lcc on Untilted, it's like you're intentionally bordering on breaking the track). What's up with that?

Thanks for doing this to the ridiculous extent that you have.

What percentage of your time awake per week would you estimate is spent doing some activity (research, daydreaming, experimentation, or active production) related to your music?

Have you found yourself in situations where you have to reject certain obligations (such as earning money, or going on dates, or spending time with family) because they would get in the way of your projects?

prob 12hrs on weekdays. weekends is not so.

Last 2 questions I promise :-)

Your live sets, say Oversteps,each year sound quite similar from town to town so how do you approach it? You have a foundation and then tweak over the top?

I kind feel bad for you guys at the moment although I am sure we are all enjoying chatting to you, but I cant help feeling like you are doing tech support.

So my final question is ,my Windows 8 computer isnt working. What should I do?

not really they vary tons, unless u mean in terms of tracks, the patterns were changing constantly it doesn't even really repeat bars never mind whole tracks

unless, is this a ruse?

are you two going to make two separate albums in the future?

i'm a huge fan of this idea

it might have happened already

how would you know

melvins yeah, random bits i picked up - (houdini, joe preston ep, bootlicker)

Ok, just in case you've not heard them, listen to Honky, Stag, The Maggot

(The Bootlicker rules, but not into the other two you mentioned)

Last 2 questions I promise :-)

Your live sets, say Oversteps,each year sound quite similar from town to town so how do you approach it? You have a foundation and then tweak over the top?

I kind feel bad for you guys at the moment although I am sure we are all enjoying chatting to you, but I cant help feeling like you are doing tech support.

So my final question is ,my Windows 8 computer isnt working. What should I do?

=) chuck it.

I've been trying real hard to think of something worth asking about, I'm unsure if these questions are that and/or have been phrased in some way before, but here goes.

1. I want to ask about all that complexity in your music. Is it something purely to keep the mind interested, or do you both find it the best way to communicate that deeper artistic intention behind Autechre as a whole? Being a synesthete myself, looking at the context of the artwork and album track flows, a lot of it suggests a kind of synergistic communication - you mentioned Autechre being bigger than the both of you consciously and I found this a fascinating statement. I know how hard it is to put stuff like an artistic vision into words, but many of your tunes literally go all over the place and I'm curious how that connects with the intention that seems to be going on behind all that work.

2. Your music has the strangest intricate combination of hard and soft, dry and wet, fat steady beats and arrythmic cacophonia. It's clear from most of your posts and your music that you are ultra-committed to getting your production process just the way you want it. Do you ever feel like you lose track of your musical output?

3. In some of your work, you seem to make a thing out of hiding or disrupting melodical content, in the midst of percussion or disharmony/microtonality (An example would be the post 4 minute mark of Lcc on Untilted, it's like you're intentionally bordering on breaking the track). What's up with that?

Thanks for doing this to the ridiculous extent that you have.

1. it's not about intention. well it kind of is in a way, but our intention is to interact with the world in a way that makes stuff that we like appear. there is no deeper intention or thing that we're trying to accomplish beyond that

2. production is music, all the same thing

3.i don't think of it as hiding. and pretty much every sound we use is tuned, technically the whole thing is melodic

• Like 1

YJY UX is my fav Ae track at the moment. It has such a huge impact on me; especially on my 'spiritual' state of mind ...like i'm at the center of sahara at sunset and transcendental things are starting to unfold. Such a joy! I'm literary experiencing it.

Can u please say anything more about it? ... i'm happy with anything u drop at me.

Thnx!

When you guys are on tour do you ever get to an unfamiliar venue, look around the place and have any concerns about how good it's gonna be? or do you put all your faith in the organisers to get the right venue? or get pissed off at a venue change at towns you've played in previous years? I saw you in glasgow 2005 and 2008 which were at the Art school (organised by Numbers i think), great venue, and the sound was massive. Then in 2010 at Sub Club, still a great gig, but a much smaller venue, more intimate and more subdued atmosphere (lots of chin strokers there that night / monday night, in comparison to Art School where the crowd can get a bit mental down the front {chanting ''one more tune'' i recall, lol}). I guess if i was on tour and had played a couple of gigs in a great venue, and was ready to go back there a coupla years later only to be told ''we're moving you somewhere less epic, you'll have to turn the volume down a bit, it's a monday night'' i'd be a bit pissed off. Any grumbles about that kind of thing?

i way preferred the art school gigs but that stuff's beyond our control really

it's as much in the interests of a promoter to put on a decent night as it is ours

the monday night thing was just cos of us being on tour, we have to play somewhere on monday, glasgow got the short straw that time soz

Guest Frankie5fingers

just gonna bump this shit yo.

would love to hear your guys' thoughts on another one of my favorite artists, Solar Fields. ever heard/listen to him? Aside from you two he's one of my biggest influences to making music.

what do you guys think of shit like this:

its doable, familiar elements every single one, but none an aesthetic I've ever not wanted around, i mean growing up with Art of Noise doing adverts, MAGI showreels, catching Vasulka films on BBC2 TV accidentally, all that was enriching for me, thats not gonna happen to kids now, so this suffices cos its supplying most of the same in a steady stream, so all good.

Wow you're still at it. Time for another that-bit-@ question:

Is there an extremely distorted voice-sample in tuinorizn at 0:20 / 0:21?

First time I heard this track was in an Amsterdam Hotel and I thought 0:20 was the landlord knocking at the door complaining cause we were being too loud.

@Sean:

chris was introduced to me by caroline, who is mates with chantal, in a club in london in 94. alex lived with chris at the time.

yeah pm me

I did. :flower:

No need to hurry, just wanted to point that out so it doesn't get lost within the zOMG Hi!! -PMs you're probably getting.

Have you ever released a track on album that you made in a super short amount of time and just liked?

Also, from a long ways back but if you ignored on purpose then do so again by all means, I was wondering if there were any really cool unknown artists that you enjoy that you could share. Possibly even just soundcloud or bandcamp pages that you've stumbled across that you think deserve more listeners than they have.

pottery and textiles have transmitted design and art thru millenia,

paper and musical notation has transmitted the great classical composers with acurracy for over 1000 years,

1) where/how will *binary* data be stored and retrieved in 100 years?

2) where do you think music such as yours is best stored if it were to be sustained for thousands of years?

Edited by skibby

Have you ever released a track on album that you made in a super short amount of time and just liked?

Also, from a long ways back but if you ignored on purpose then do so again by all means, I was wondering if there were any really cool unknown artists that you enjoy that you could share. Possibly even just soundcloud or bandcamp pages that you've stumbled across that you think deserve more listeners than they have.

yeah quite a few, esp on the early albums

i can't think of any but i'm not on sc much, and i think all the bc people i like are already known here tbh

Wow you're still at it. Time for another that-bit-@ question:

Is there an extremely distorted voice-sample in tuinorizn at 0:20 / 0:21?

First time I heard this track was in an Amsterdam Hotel and I thought 0:20 was the landlord knocking at the door complaining cause we were being too loud.

@Sean:

chris was introduced to me by caroline, who is mates with chantal, in a club in london in 94. alex lived with chris at the time.

yeah pm me

I did. :flower:

No need to hurry, just wanted to point that out so it doesn't get lost within the zOMG Hi!! -PMs you're probably getting.

hahah perfect, but no, voices. in the synthesis, theres glottal shit on the baseline

are you two going to make two separate albums in the future?

i'm a huge fan of this idea

it might have happened already

how would you know

ah ah, perhaps exai is your speakerboxxx/love below album..

you seemed to be into scifi readings, personnally what brought me into those novels were the Fighting Fantasy books.

were you into that as kid ? & if yes, do you remember which ones ?

++ Hey xox, totally seconded on YJY UX there. By far my favourite closer.

Also, just wondered if you had any thoughts on an early minimalist/process piece for solo organ called Melody III (Discogs):

It uses a 36-note pattern which is layered at nine different speeds... are you interested in this type of process/generation?

pottery and textiles have transmitted design and art thru millenia,

paper and musical notation has transmitted the great classical composers with acurracy for over 1000 years,

1) where/how will *binary* data be stored and retrieved in 100 years?

2) where do you think music such as yours is best stored if it were to be sustained for thousands of years?

1) http://www.technologyreview.com/view/520541/million-year-data-storage-disk-unveiled/

2) http://www.technologyreview.com/view/520541/million-year-data-storage-disk-unveiled/

I'd ask you hundred questions about this and that, but since I'm temporary retarded, I'll let the other members take care of that.

I just wanna say I really enjoy your music, and repeat a question I asked a while back, that may or may not have been answered;

Have you listened much to jazz, and if so, who are your favorite jazz musicians, favorite jazz albums, etc?