Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Autechre Sean pls Rob pls Bull Wallet Stoya Bike The Mates The chre lel toplel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4023 replies to this topic

#3176 xf

xf

the maniton

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 09-April 03

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses, or one horse-sized duck?

#3177 webby

webby

[atmospheric hum continues]

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 14-February 12

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:44 AM

You mentioned earlier that Oversteps incorporated the use of Markov chains to generate algorithmic melodies and that the themes of the album also related to the concept of memory. I think you also said that the artwork for this was more fully a tDR initiated idea than on other albums, so maybe cover image doesn't relate heavily to these themes.. but, in the case that it does:

The ink drawing for the cover appears like a variation upon the style of Zen circle painting known as Ensō. The brushed ink of the circle is usually done in one movement and symbolises a moment when the mind is free to simply let the body/spirit create. I was wondering if your use of the "memoryless" properties of Markov chains was to covey this sense of "the expression of the moment".

Edited by wabby, 07 November 2013 - 04:47 AM.

#3178 hanz tisch

hanz tisch

https://soundcloud.com/hanz-tisch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 24-May 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

Hi, what do you think abou DIY stuff such as this: http://www.bastl-ins...ts.com/trinity/    ?

Did you ever craft anything alike? Is it possible to you to use such lo-fi instruments for some sounds?

#3179 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

I think you mentioned a soldering iron earlier. ever experimented with circuit bending? I understand most of your recent stuff is done via computers and generative processes. any happy/interesting accidents involving this? and I don't just mean through tinkering in max, but like, you spilt your coffee, smoke-spewing out of your machine, glitch-inducing accidents that you decided to keep

yeah once we accidentally spilled Vimto on one of our SK's, which caused it to bend itself really. it stayed like that.

we're not that into trying out the best gear 'to' bend, but when we started before there were road maps for this, we would find new things (latent potential if u like) in the small setup we had, notably the other SKs, RSD10s was another

#3180 Guest_bitroast_*

Guest_bitroast_*
  • Guests
  • 58 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

Say, Sean and Rob, do you guys have any questions for WATMM?

at last, 106 pages BEFORE ANYONE ASKED

oh hey not true !!

i totally asked on page 26 (( altho it was sort of tucked between my main question and a thank you*u* message )).

http://forum.watmm.c...23#entry2084242

autechre pls, feel free to ask watmm a question. 

#3181 Adamovich

Adamovich

No chill whatsoever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 05-February 08

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

Can you identify this track please?

#3182 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 36 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hi, what do you think abou DIY stuff such as this: http://www.bastl-ins...ts.com/trinity/    ?

Did you ever craft anything alike? Is it possible to you to use such lo-fi instruments for some sounds?

its ok, its a bit limiting, but i get that its personal , i reckon its good to have yr own sound/thing if it makes u happy and keeps you active and open. 

apart from our own little setup when we started, i was keen to get hold of anything, not troubled by it being custom or not, i think ideas are my custom thing, i can use any mainstream gear and always have. i don't make distinctions anymore as to what is lo-fi or not.

Say, Sean and Rob, do you guys have any questions for WATMM?

at last, 106 pages BEFORE ANYONE ASKED

oh hey not true !!

i totally asked on page 26 (( altho it was sort of tucked between my main question and a thank you*u* message )).

http://forum.watmm.c...23#entry2084242

autechre pls, feel free to ask watmm a question. 

ah yes pigster - u were quick to offer. i remember seeing that now. duly noted

#3183 mokz

mokz

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • 5 topics
  • Joined 08-August 11
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/omzk
  • 3DS Friend Code:3351-4161-1506

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

Favorite dub album?

#3184 eclipsis

eclipsis

_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 27-January 12

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

Newbound should have been titled meowbound. Any way you can correct that huge mistake?

#3185 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 24 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:09 AM

no ID on that, not sure, is it in a gescom mix? - or u asking if its gescom track, cos its not.

#3186 Lianne

Lianne

Li

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 28-May 08
  • Interests:photography, design, music.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

To me your albums have just got better and better. Of the latest output, 'Prac-f' in particular totally blows me away. Were you guys feeling the "Woah!" moment as much as I do at the switch 1:55 in? And I know this kind of question can be annoying - but could you share anything about this track? It's got such an amazing, 'thick' vibe. 

Thank you !

Edited by Lianne, 07 November 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#3187 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:11 AM

Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses, or one horse-sized duck?

ducks are way harder than horses in my experience.

#3188 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 136 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

To me your albums have just got better and better. Of the latest output, 'Prac-f' in particular totally blows me away. Were you guys feeling the "Woah!" moment as much as I do at the switch 1:55 in? And I know this kind of question can be annoying - but could you share anything about this track? It's got such an amazing, 'thick' vibe. 

Thank you !

thanks, switches yeah, good. i tend to follow the pressure changes through this one…. 

#3189 MDM Chaos

MDM Chaos

No preticulation, feel my circulation

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-April 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

i really enjoyed the stories about mud dives and vomit rockets, do you have any more amusing anecdotes you'd care to share with us?

#3190 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 207 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

I like all of your albums more or less, but Draft 7.30 is something special. Probably because I listened to it in the dark on headphones while on acid and every little click and fart was perfectly placed and felt like I fell into some weird futuristic machine city morphing constantly. A great experience.

My question is did you do something differently when making that album. I remember reading somewhere that it was "sequenced by hand", whatever that means and that it was the result of several "drafts", the 30th being the one that became the album. Is this true? Care to elaborate on the process how you did it?

Acid or shrooms?

Once again, big props for spending the time on answering and hanging out here the past week. Hoping you will pop in occasionally in the future with comments and thoughts. Much appreciated. Big hand to Joyrex too for making it possible.

draft7.30, sequenced by hand, meaning in an interview about overall shifts in that periods' process than the previous LP, it meant that a lot of the work was a result of being really concerned with getting as close to the events as we could in the DAW, getting access to as much of it as we could - and jamming less while still working on a larger sense of flow. each track was different to some extent because all the tracks were done at different times. not as a whole LP project in strict order.

#3191 Guest_Skip_*

Guest_Skip_*
  • Guests
  • 0 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

Good day.

What are your thoughts on participating in an "IDM"/experimental-creative electronica documentary/TV-report.

Why would you, and why wouldn't you.

Thank you very much!

#3192 phudoshin

phudoshin

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • 178 topics
  • Joined 09-January 06

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

I find a lot of my fave tracks of yours are somewhat melancholic... say like V-Proc......

Is it just me or or would you say you are creating this feeling in some tracks on purpose? 

#3193 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 58 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:28 AM

Since you said only 1/3 of the tracks are actual collaborations...

1. Who of you two wrote Bladelores ?

2. Who makes the most tracks out of you two ?

3. How would you describe your differences in style ?

4. Can your relatives say "this track is definitely Rob" or "this track is definitely Sean ?"

thanks !

1 we don't say who did what to anyone

2 depends what were doing respectively

3 only us and our mates really know that, we mimic or copy and impersonate each other a lot, and we compete in a way thats like giving someone a track to dig.

4 friends mostly, but we can play games at them though. for field tests.

#3194 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:28 AM

Is there a good way of doing real-time FFT based shenanigans without the obvious latency issues that get introduced from to the block size you're manipulating ?

#3195 Ivan Ooze

Ivan Ooze

i kill and eat everybody

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,850 posts
  • 58 topics
  • Joined 22-January 12
  • Interests:musick

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

i don't have any tattoos but lol, i'm thinking about getting one of the exai cover (about 1 cm2 tall or something), where should i put it on my body??

do you have any tattoos?

#3196 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

I find a lot of my fave tracks of yours are somewhat melancholic... say like V-Proc......

Is it just me or or would you say you are creating this feeling in some tracks on purpose? 

Vproc is way more upbeat to me actually, its got a slower swagger so as not to be annoyingly percy. but ur meant to bust out to it.

Is there a good way of doing real-time FFT based shenanigans without the obvious latency issues that get introduced from to the block size you're manipulating ?

mbe if u have a time machine? or massively parallel setup?

i don't have any tattoos but lol, i'm thinking about getting one of the exai cover (about 1 cm2 tall or something), where should i put it on my body??

do you have any tattoos?

only scars, nothing intentional

#3197 Adamovich

Adamovich

No chill whatsoever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 05-February 08

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

no ID on that, not sure, is it in a gescom mix? - or u asking if its gescom track, cos its not.

According to video info "this was played on there Electronica / Ambient Kiss FM show Manchester in 1995" but the guy isn't sure is it Ae or Gescom and for me it doesn't really matter, was curious if you know something about it, cuz i want it so badly!!

#3198 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

i really enjoyed the stories about mud dives and vomit rockets, do you have any more amusing anecdotes you'd care to share with us?

probably, it may come to us as we continue, but not certain

#3199 thegirlnextdoor

thegirlnextdoor

ae on my calf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hey guys,

how do you feel when I tell you that you're my favorite artists and I don't have a clue how you make your tracks and that I don't even want to know how !

(not that i'm not curious, I just feel it's beyond me and i just like it that way.)

Do you think it's important to know how something is made to enjoy it ?

#3200 Guest_bitroast_*

Guest_bitroast_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

one last question ( before i sleep ) !! 

you've mentioned that around chiastic slide, mushrooms played a big part in shaping your approach to music. 

i'm wondering if that link between psychedelic drugs and your music is still relevant today? exai for example, is definitely your most visually evocative album for me. i can't listen to it without seeing massive spaces and movements. 

have more recent psychedelic experiences acted as inspiration for your music or provided new ideas. or was it more just something that clicked early on and has shaped your style since?

( & thank you again for spending the time here and answering questions. ae/you are one of my favourite artists, this is all massively appreciated^~^ )

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Autechre, Sean pls, Rob pls, Bull Wallet, Stoya, Bike, The Mates, The chre, lel, toplel