IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

I like all of your albums more or less, but Draft 7.30 is something special. Probably because I listened to it in the dark on headphones while on acid and every little click and fart was perfectly placed and felt like I fell into some weird futuristic machine city morphing constantly. A great experience.

My question is did you do something differently when making that album. I remember reading somewhere that it was "sequenced by hand", whatever that means and that it was the result of several "drafts", the 30th being the one that became the album. Is this true? Care to elaborate on the process how you did it?

Acid or shrooms?

Once again, big props for spending the time on answering and hanging out here the past week. Hoping you will pop in occasionally in the future with comments and thoughts. Much appreciated. Big hand to Joyrex too for making it possible.

draft7.30, sequenced by hand, meaning in an interview about overall shifts in that periods' process than the previous LP, it meant that a lot of the work was a result of being really concerned with getting as close to the events as we could in the DAW, getting access to as much of it as we could - and jamming less while still working on a larger sense of flow. each track was different to some extent because all the tracks were done at different times. not as a whole LP project in strict order.

Good day.

What are your thoughts on participating in an "IDM"/experimental-creative electronica documentary/TV-report.

Why would you, and why wouldn't you.

Thank you very much!

Since you said only 1/3 of the tracks are actual collaborations...

1. Who of you two wrote Bladelores ?

2. Who makes the most tracks out of you two ?

3. How would you describe your differences in style ?

4. Can your relatives say "this track is definitely Rob" or "this track is definitely Sean ?"

thanks !

1 we don't say who did what to anyone

2 depends what were doing respectively

3 only us and our mates really know that, we mimic or copy and impersonate each other a lot, and we compete in a way thats like giving someone a track to dig.

4 friends mostly, but we can play games at them though. for field tests.

I find a lot of my fave tracks of yours are somewhat melancholic... say like V-Proc......

Is it just me or or would you say you are creating this feeling in some tracks on purpose?

Vproc is way more upbeat to me actually, its got a slower swagger so as not to be annoyingly percy. but ur meant to bust out to it.

Is there a good way of doing real-time FFT based shenanigans without the obvious latency issues that get introduced from to the block size you're manipulating ?

mbe if u have a time machine? or massively parallel setup?

i don't have any tattoos but lol, i'm thinking about getting one of the exai cover (about 1 cm2 tall or something), where should i put it on my body??

do you have any tattoos?

only scars, nothing intentional

Can you identify this track please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voZU5CwHD9Y

no ID on that, not sure, is it in a gescom mix? - or u asking if its gescom track, cos its not.

According to video info "this was played on there Electronica / Ambient Kiss FM show Manchester in 1995" but the guy isn't sure is it Ae or Gescom and for me it doesn't really matter, was curious if you know something about it, cuz i want it so badly!!

i really enjoyed the stories about mud dives and vomit rockets, do you have any more amusing anecdotes you'd care to share with us?

probably, it may come to us as we continue, but not certain

Hey guys,

how do you feel when I tell you that you're my favorite artists and I don't have a clue how you make your tracks and that I don't even want to know how !

(not that i'm not curious, I just feel it's beyond me and i just like it that way.)

Do you think it's important to know how something is made to enjoy it ?

Guest bitroast

one last question ( before i sleep ) !!

you've mentioned that around chiastic slide, mushrooms played a big part in shaping your approach to music.

i'm wondering if that link between psychedelic drugs and your music is still relevant today? exai for example, is definitely your most visually evocative album for me. i can't listen to it without seeing massive spaces and movements.

have more recent psychedelic experiences acted as inspiration for your music or provided new ideas. or was it more just something that clicked early on and has shaped your style since?

( & thank you again for spending the time here and answering questions. ae/you are one of my favourite artists, this is all massively appreciated^~^ )

I find a lot of my fave tracks of yours are somewhat melancholic... say like V-Proc......

Is it just me or or would you say you are creating this feeling in some tracks on purpose?

Vproc is way more upbeat to me actually, its got a slower swagger so as not to be annoyingly percy. but ur meant to bust out to it.

Well i defo nod my head to it when driving and its up full blast....................i guess the vocally synths seem sort of sad to me... in a good way. Like a future AI machine lamenting the destruction of its makers but to a beat!

I like all of your albums more or less, but Draft 7.30 is something special. Probably because I listened to it in the dark on headphones while on acid and every little click and fart was perfectly placed and felt like I fell into some weird futuristic machine city morphing constantly. A great experience.

My question is did you do something differently when making that album. I remember reading somewhere that it was "sequenced by hand", whatever that means and that it was the result of several "drafts", the 30th being the one that became the album. Is this true? Care to elaborate on the process how you did it?

Acid or shrooms?

Once again, big props for spending the time on answering and hanging out here the past week. Hoping you will pop in occasionally in the future with comments and thoughts. Much appreciated. Big hand to Joyrex too for making it possible.

draft7.30, sequenced by hand, meaning in an interview about overall shifts in that periods' process than the previous LP, it meant that a lot of the work was a result of being really concerned with getting as close to the events as we could in the DAW, getting access to as much of it as we could - and jamming less while still working on a larger sense of flow. each track was different to some extent because all the tracks were done at different times. not as a whole LP project in strict order.

That makes sense, since it felt like every little particle of sound was meticulously thought out and placed and had a sense of purpose. Or maybe it was just the acid. Either way top job, because of that, Draft has a special place for me in the Autechre discography. I also remember listening to Amber during that session and Piezo blew me away. Visualized something like a desolate neon landscape with some geometric objects popping in and out of existence. One of those moments where you feel yourself teetering on the fine edge of consciousness experiencing everything at once without any value judgements, classification or compartmentalization, pure being.

/hippy

Favorite dub album?

tough one.

i really rate Augustus Pablo - 555dub st., east of the river nile, and more.

Scientist - rids the world…vampires, - wins the world cup

sly and robbie - none shall escape...

lots of basic channel chain reaction or mauritzio

Is there a good way of doing real-time FFT based shenanigans without the obvious latency issues that get introduced from to the block size you're manipulating ?

So I'm guessing the only way to do it is render down what you want and then bump it back in sync with the DAW. (or hopefully Doc Emmett Brown can invent a negative plugin delay compensation)

Can you guys talk about the japanese bonus track for Untilted, "Zurich 2001"? It seems many people don't like that one. Why did you decide to add this very short, improvised(?) live track as a Japanese bonus track?

Persist-until-something-happens.jpg

fever_logo.gif

I mean, a lot of people didn't like the track. Now's a good time to defend yourself!

So I'm guessing the only way to do it is render down what you want and then bump it back in sync with the DAW. (or hopefully Doc Emmett Brown can invent a negative plugin delay compensation)

ot: renoise has some sort of negative pdc

Ok I'm really torn here about what to ask you guys and obviously a bit awestruck that youre being so gracious in patiently answering some of these questions,also even though a part of me wants to shamelessly whore out my S.O's music I've decided Im not going to.

However his birthday is on the 25th of December...can you imagine losing out to Jesus every year?

So...at the risk of reading like a postcard to Tiswas,please could you wish Happy Birthday to Max ?I know its early but what the hell.

Thank you both,in anticipation of your reply.

kisses etc

Lynne x

Do you feel that your emotions are directly related to the type of track you compose, or are they possibly inversely related? For instance, if you are happy do you make a happy track. Is there a certain pattern you have recognized relating to your emotional state and the overall mood of your composition that I may not have considered in my question?

Do you find that you have a sort of default nature when it comes to recording in that you naturally create a certain style of music? Do you have to make a conscious effort to vary your tracks and keep things fresh?

Would you say writing your music is like casting a spell or summoning a demon?

What is your worst bad habit when it comes to being an artist?

Do you have any self-imposed rules when it comes to creating music that you might share? For example, do you refuse to use stock drum samples, because it doesn't "feel right"?

Training vs Discovery?

Has this experience changed your opinion of WATMM.com in any way? + or - ?

Thanks again guys.

Re the 2007 live sets.............I.. LOVE the "au-te-chre" rising vocal near the start. ... so perfect................. How did it come about? an Improv moment by one of you that just caught on or a conscious banging way to start a gig? It's subtle but for some reason mega-rinsin.

Whatcha think?

How do you think quantum computers could change the music making possibilities? I have no idea, other than perhaps solve what mcbpete is talking about. Will we ever even see consumer-level quantum computers within our lifetimes.

Anyone of you care to say what was you trying to achieve in 1995 with that Plaid/Autechre set?

[youtubehd]9_yoHHdBE1Q[/youtubehd]

it was a bit more separate how we each worked on this, plaid and us.

we brought sequences and sounds and kit from our current autechre set at that time, adapting it and writing new stuff as the work we observed of the teams and participants rehearsed during the day. on the night we performed continuously building while the performers and the movements/chapters/parts played out - using larger shifts at key points of the directors timeline.

it was nice to get a new original track/set out of it though looking back, cos it was unique as it had to be a specific length and structure, but linked due to the voices that the gear had from other sets.

Edited by Rob Ae

Can you guys talk about the japanese bonus track for Untilted, "Zurich 2001"? It seems many people don't like that one. Why did you decide to add this very short, improvised(?) live track as a Japanese bonus track?

Persist-until-something-happens.jpg

fever_logo.gif

I mean, a lot of people didn't like the track. Now's a good time to defend yourself!

it was a good display of how well it can kick off in Europe at a electronic gig. the situation was full on intense, cos they were really pushing us, and we fully pushed back.

Guest aht romain

Hi guys

After many years listening your tracks, I still can't control my shivers and can't understand properly what happening in me with the track "Recury"

Can you just give me some words about the moments you made it, about this tracks who seems to give me sense about everything about the illusion of this world

Cheers :)