IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Guest jasondonervan

hey all yeah i should really bow out with my mAet.

fully fully appreciate all yr kind words and…. nice to be having two way realtime not just lists, or pieces taken out of us.. sorry for any q' not dealt with

(haha i don't want to see the first journo's face as they try to mine all this data u got this week).

jasondonervan, mbe slow don on the googledoc ! no not serious. but besides the point. just a massive thank u the WATMM, joyrex.

nice to meet u all too.

rB)

If anyone should slow down it's the 'chre! Relentless fielding of questions over these past few days... crazy stuff :w00t:

Cheers Rob, it's been a pleasure.

thank you very much for this! i stopped at page 39 (!!!) because of other things, but will read it all someday. i had nothing to ask.

you guys are amazing.

oh, now that i remember, i wanted to share something. in 2009 i went to see live kraftwerk+radiohead. before kraftwerk went on stage they put some tracks and one of them was Altibzz. Hütter & co. keeping up to date with great contemporary music.

all the best.

Guest Captain Kittens

Thanks again guys! I feel like a squeeing giddy school girl over all this. NEVER in a million years would have thought I would have gotten to chat with you two and be in the middle of a great conversation. Massive support!!

ok so
i'm gonna have to split
i just want to say cheers for asking so many mental questions
i hope some of our answers were illuminating or at least amusing
i really enjoyed it cos you asked us a lot of stuff that journos don't usually, i was hoping that would happen, watmm delivers

thanks for joining us in here Sean and Rob, was a lot of fun. And what I've just bolded may seem obvious, but I don't think many musicians have taken the opportunity that you guys have to do a fun Q&A like this, so major props. Often I'm pretty surprised by the boring nature of the interview questions you guys are usually asked by real 'journos', glad this was a good experience for you.

:beer:

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Yeah, i also had nothing to ask that more deserving others wouldn't have covered anyway. But now that it's over just strolled in to say that it's incredible what these chaps did. nies wun ;-]

Kcinsu, mcbpete and a few others I think you were interested in their response to the physical modeling question. apparently they answered it but i never saw it and the answer is brilliant (but still oblique)

lot of loaded questions here tbh but i'll say this
we've been blagging sounds for years, way way before we heard anyone using the term physical modelling
even just using a 202 you can make really mad 'bonk' sounds by tuning the resonance and using the res env a certain way (think of voodoo ray by gerald)

not implying we were the first at all obviously, wendy carlos and tomita were running rings round anything we did before we even knew what music was
but like, there are literally tons of ways you can make fake things out of other things. this idea that physmod is only a few techniques is a bit of a new thing really. but i guess describing those things an non-linear processes is a bit much for some people

you can make a wide array of vowel sounds using a combination of pwm and fm, but it's only considered formant synthesis is you're using a collection of bpf's

the actual list of techniques that you're supposed to learn is weirdly limited and doesn't really cover what's possible. in a lot of ways things were more interesting before it all got formalised
that's why wendy carlos and tomita are so good, cos they didn't have that list of techniques getting in the way, they found most of it thru trial and error

i like that response a lot