IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

ol dirty, gza or rza?

anyone better then rakim, if so, who?

I'd love some insight into your role in the design process of the last few album identities that tdr had the pleasure of making basic shapes for.

gza obviously

they're not basic shapes, you're seeing it wrong

I think he hears the music wrong too. He likes really mellow stuff.

do you think about what people will think of your tracks while you make them or is it just about pleasing yourselves

also I saw that my questions sometimess come across weird...english is not my first language so that might be a factor

ol dirty, gza or rza?

anyone better then rakim, if so, who?

I'd love some insight into your role in the design process of the last few album identities that tdr had the pleasure of making basic shapes for.

gza obviously

they're not basic shapes, you're seeing it wrong

ha ok. I've been in the design world for a long time, I'd really love some insight as to how you work with creating the album art recently. do you guys give a set if parameters or just look at some options they come up with and shape it from there?

so we picked up on the vague album numbering system. Someone here said you should name your next release "twelb", is this up there with some of the hot favourites?

Also curious about the whole Kiosk thing, did someone orig just pluck it out of thin air or did it actually exist as a project?

twelb is hilariously bad

i doubt anyone will ever top that, but peely almost managed

we don't know how kiosk originated

Do you think Hip-Hop is still relevant as a Culture?

I mean a lot of people confuse Rap with Hip-Hop nowadays and don't know about the cultural thing behind Rap Music anymore.

Also, Sean would you please name my MPC2000XL?

your mpc2000xl is now called shaquanda

Edited by Sean Ae

Any chance on collaborating with a Japanese singer again? The track with Mari Hamada is beautiful.

Have you used Renoise beyond the experiments with Venetian Snares?

maybe, it was a laugh, altho they remixed the hell out of it. the original mix we did was better imo (unreleased)

yeah we used renoise a fair bit, haven't personally for a few years tho

k I wanna be in on that gear naming thing,

I would be honored if you guys would give a name to

--- my E.Machinedrum

---- my (modded) E. Analog Four

(I can baptise them myself then)

Have you ever seen a ghost?

don't know

Can you guys name some of your favourite VST plugins you use and find inspirational?

not used it for ages but i really like zebra (nice sound)

Any chance on collaborating with a Japanese singer again? The track with Mari Hamada is beautiful.

Have you used Renoise beyond the experiments with Venetian Snares?

maybe, it was a laugh, altho they remixed the hell out of it. the original mix we did was better imo (unreleased)

yeah we used renoise a fair bit, haven't personally for a few years tho

How such artist as Mari Hamada comes to an idea to have her tracks remixed by you? I mean, I would expect Tortoise to be really into experimental music or Radiohead, given to Thom Yorke's admiration of your work, but Hamada? It is quite surprising for me.

Edited by Jev

I heard a friend say that 10ish years ago you played at a venue called the Wexner Center in Columbus, Ohio. Will any shows in or near Columbus happen again? Every cool electronic act seems to be going towards Europe these days, and I can never get a chance to see them.

Related but not entirely: do you ever do house shows, and have you considered doing more?

Columbus wexner centre was a life saver show, great acoustic treated black cube, and their tech guy repaired our 1210s

We would probably return :)

yeah that room was insanely correct for our sound on that tour

some thing that confused me loads...do EPs that you do contain tracks that did not fit for lack of space on the CD, or couldn't you finish them in time?

Hello Autechre!

Just wanna to ask, is there any meaning or purpose behind track title, like, Osla for n? And how should I say L Event, like event "L", or something different?

Thanks for the answer!

i can't get into specifics really regarding titles

you can say things however you like

why does Exai sound like it made using an Analog Four?

Do you think Ben of zoviet france lost the dats and/or messed up the recording and just doesn't want to tell you?

Why was your Dalglish remix never officially released?

i got no idea, i never owned one

but i take it as a compliment cos it means you're hearing some of our dsp progging as analogue (which was the intention)

yeah maybe, or he just doesn't want us to have it, or he doesn't like it or whatever

no idea, ask chris

Autechre doing a Q&A is reason enough to finally join watmm. Hello everyone.

Where did that "Voice of the Chinese People" sample you used in your last webcast come from?

That was the first thing I heard when I tuned in (I had late shift back then and wasn't able to tune in earlier), and it was such a great moment.

Thank you for that, the webcast was one of my favorite music-related things in 2013.

Oh, and since you're naming devices and everything, would you like to name my future child?

One male/female name pls.

that sample is from B.E.D. 34 by Forevereaction

female - Cleopatra

male - Photon

have you ever been in contact with the brilliant katsuhiro otomo, the man behind akira, autechre is the perfect soundtrack for some of his work will you do something together ever?? shall i send him a mail

Where did that "Voice of the Chinese People" sample you used in your last webcast come from?

That was the first thing I heard when I tuned in (I had late shift back then and wasn't able to tune in earlier), and it was such a great moment.

Thank you for that, the webcast was one of my favorite music-related things in 2013.

Oh, and since you're naming devices and everything, would you like to name my future child?

female - Cleopatra

male - Photon

Poor kids...

How many people are or have been involved with Gescom over the years? Has there been a release were neither of you have been involved?

I missed your gig in my town in Finland for the Untilted tour, which would have bummed me out since I had just moved to Ireland at that time but it all worked out as I caught you in Dublin during the same tour, which was great. Hope you enjoyed your Finnish visit, even if the gig was during the day and hopefully you will be back in the future.

Dunno if this is a stupid question. I am about the same age as you guys and my job relates to an interest which is kind of a deep core of my personality. When I burn out or feel overstressed, I think "fuck it all" but I can't help getting interested again after a little while. Is music like that for you? Like something you can't escape?

I can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

Or if that's too indulgent - over the years Ae has had a very consistent "taste" and I don't know (nor am I interested) in who does what. But do you both "know" Ae when you hear it? Ever had to talk the other into including something on a release?

And - fan moment - I expected to be a little let down by the live set I saw in 2010, but the sound and the dark room pretty much blew my mind, got to the point where I kind of hallucinated sounds as rising textures in the space in front of me. No hallucinogens involved although I was pretty tired. That was outstanding, thanks.

yeah i mean

it's kind of in my system, i've been messing with sound for so long now i don't think i could do much else, i get itchy if i haven't made anything for a couple of days. hate going on holiday it just stresses me out not being able to make things.

yeah we know it when we hear it. really hard to explain but u seem to know already.

yeah sometimes we have to talk each other into using each other's tracks. like, it's always me trying to talk rob into including one of his tracks, or vice versa.

almost never happens the other way round

is autechre proof that there is a god/creation and

are you sometimes that high that you have to turn down the volume of you own records

Edited by Ivan Ooze

do you remember that gig with fennesz & roedelius ? i've seen pictures & always wondered about it, like some all star game or something.

that was actually a bit of a weird gig

i think roedelius had expected us to do beats like amber, and we were at that point where we had dived headlong into doing algo stuff, and we were giving him really weird rhythms. he kind of gave up halfway thru and starting playing solo piano stuff, so we all had to kind of back off and let him get on with it, cos he couldn't deal with the weirdness in the rhythm.

so it sort of happened in 2 stages, with us jamming with christian for a bit (going really well i thought), with bits of roedelius, and then a big solo section of roedelius playing sentimental piano stuff.

he shouted at us afterwards, i felt really bad. huge fan getting told off by elder statesman. he actually thought we had deceived or tricked him somehow. it's a real shame, we felt like we had fucked it up by being too adventurous.

Edited by Sean Ae

female - Cleopatra

male - Photon

HELL NO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfyWQ2AEBic&feature=player_detailpage

wow, this topic exploded! no idea if any of this is covered but like heck i'm going back thru 26 pages...

Sean and Rob, just wanted to thank you for your Australian tour a few years back - i'm sure there was little commercial gain but it made a lot of us fans very happy. Hope to see you back out here sometime :)

You guys are huge on generative music; ever considered releasing an album of puredata patches or something along those lines, rather than prerecorded audio? I recognize the issues with doing so, but it'd probably blow some peoples minds to have that happen.

yeah this comes up every few years

maybe in the future