IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

just a funny story

i saw you at i think se1 for the untitled tour and was very drunk.

there were some posters up around the gig and everyone was taking them, but when i tried the security would stop me.

because of my cheeky drunken state i would keep on trying to take it.

when i did get the poster as the security was not looking he then walked up to me and got on his radio and called for back up.

i was then walked in to the corner of the room so he could then screw up the poster and put it in the bin. i thought i was going to be kicked out of the gig.

he then made me take it out of the bin so he could laugh at me.

the poster is now on my wall and it puts a smile on my face when i look at it.

you also talk of playing in the dark and reading the post i agree with you on why you do it.

Are you aware of all the camera flashes that go on? they totally screw with your eyes when they go off its very funny.

its kind of like a strobe and how they mess with your head.

its a good thing when they go off some people get very confused when one goes of next to them.

i also wonder why people take them as all i have managed to get a good picture at your gigs.

o i do have a question.

what was your last gig you went to and what gigs have you been to that stick out in your mind.

thanks (-;

Oh thats a bummer , wouldve been better to hand over the poster to u.

I actually dont mind the flashes much, in a way, to freeze a scene that no one can really see the rest of the time, it works.

Egyptian lover not that long ago, untold & mensah, KRS1 came by here in the recent past. Havent been out much tho at all in quite a while.

Its hard to pick a real stick out moment.

there is a metaphysical approach in ae's music? something related to speculative realism, or object-oriented ontology that rejects the privileging of human existence over the existence of nonhuman objects, or just hyperrealism? whats the final goal of your music if it lasted for thousand years?

Were the Peel Sessions done in the BBC studios in a short period of time, or were they older tracks dusted off? It amazes me how so much pure emotion is funneled through Drane.

No they were done at our studio, pretty close together. yeah drane's still a breathholder.

Will you guys ever reach a state where you think "This is the final form of Autechre - this is what we were meant to create"

yes, but we love making music so hopefully that day wont come

- Sean or Rob, my UC-33 midi controller is still alive after 10 years of intense use (seriously, i was pretty sure it would be my first piece of gear to die, but it won't). Could you give it a name ? :)

your uc-33 is now called adrian

Thanks ! It will bear this name proudly. And thanks again for doing this "Ask anything" thread, you guys are an inspiration. I really hope to hear you live one day, so please, come to France next year !

there is a metaphysical approach in ae's music? something related to speculative realism, or object-oriented ontology that rejects the privileging of human existence over the existence of nonhuman objects, or just hyperrealism? whats the final goal of your music if it lasted for thousand years?

By nonhuman objects do u mean man made objects? Or other lifeforms?

What is your favorite flavour of icecream (currently in existence or yet to be created)?

It can be either real icecream of icecream consumed only in lucid dreams and/or seen during a psychedelic experience boiling up from between floor tiles.

Also, thank you for creating vletrmx21.

Guest Taciturn

What do you think about the occulus rift? Do you see artists such as yourselves using it to create a more submersible environment for listeners to explore?

Edited by Taciturn

By nonhuman objects do u mean man made objects? Or other lifeforms?

all things made by men, whether physical or fictional: a panpsychic reality where humans and objects have the same dignity.

Edited by canzoniere vaticano

what do you think of releases from raster-noton?

and how do you perceive the word "minimalism" in music? is there such a thing?

Guest DVDDTRTH

Hi there,

Was wondering if you could confirm whether the track in this youtube video really is by you, or whether it was mislabelled - doesn't sound like your other stuff, but i guess you guys aren't known for keeping to one style. It is at the second half of this video, starts at around 4 min. (also its not the track labelled in to comment section)

cheers!

i got no idea, i never owned one

but i take it as a compliment cos it means you're hearing some of our dsp progging as analogue (which was the intention)

interesting, because Exai has a distinctly more 'analog' sound, if it's mostly digital you guys did a great job of making it sound the opposite, at least all the synth work. Are there soft-synths you guys have an affinity for? I've noticed you mention FM7 a few times, how about some of the newer ones like Madrona Labs Aalto?

Also thanks for the confirmation on the Autechre patch, there are an army of cycling74 employees trying to claim it's not a real patch or as some would say a 'hoax'. The patch made me realize just the lengths you guys go to get that perfect timbre. No matter how many times or different ways I've tried drum stuttering/rapid fire sounds, they never have that pleasurable timbre quality you guys mastered so well during the Draft/Confield era.

Do you guys enjoy any of the other artists on Isolate Records besides Vsnares and OST/Dalglish, specifically Nommo Ogo or Tomoroh Hidari?

And what's your favorite album or work by Mick Harris aka Scorn?

a lot of the stuff around draft time was done in dp, just triggering a sampler from the sequencer (akai z8 over midi) - the motu midi interface we were using was really fast so you could mad rolls with it. we'd do tuned rolls and then copy them and multiply the length of the roll by 1.05946 incrementally to make it play melodies.

interesting, so that max/msp patch which appears to be 'stuttering' a real-time synthesized bass drum sound and turning it into a melody was not a technique used in Confield or draft? Was it used in anything specific you can remember? I feel like i hear some aspect of it in the Confield tour recordings.

Your response about recordlabelrecords appears to have been edited out and/or blank, any followup on that? :wink:

i'd be happy to endure the mysterious mind fuck though too if you don't want to answer

was Recks On in Exai an intentional Mick Harris/Scorn homage? Or if it wasn't planned I guess my other question would be, just how much Scorn are the two of you listening to these days? I'd like to think a lot.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

What is your favorite flavour of icecream (currently in existence or yet to be created)?

It can be either real icecream of icecream consumed only in lucid dreams and/or seen during a psychedelic experience boiling up from between floor tiles.

Also, thank you for creating vletrmx21.

Actually, tequila ice cream. Failing that, most of the others.

question for sean or rob:

you guys have been recognized as being primary figures in bringing back or re-popularizing FM synthesis as well as pushing it in entirely new directions, do either of you have interest in physical modeling synthesis? I know you say you're mostly outside the DAW right now, and given that there arent very many pieces of physical gear that do physical modeling (besides the korg wavedrum, yamaha vls and a few others) have you explored much in the past or present new advancements in this technology such as Pianoteq or Applied Acoustics Chromaphone (probably the first really solid phys mod percussion engine since the Machinedrum) ? Just curious if you could speak on how you feel about this type of synthesis or if any specific tracks utilized it.

edit: Sonderemawe sounds like it had some virtual metal plate/membrane action happening in it. A

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Hi there,

Was wondering if you could confirm whether the track in this youtube video really is by you, or whether it was mislabelled - doesn't sound like your other stuff, but i guess you guys aren't known for keeping to one style. It is at the second half of this video, starts at around 4 min. (also its not the track labelled in to comment section)

cheers!

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Artists-Remixes/release/13017