Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Autechre Sean pls Rob pls Bull Wallet Stoya Bike The Mates The chre lel toplel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4023 replies to this topic

#1651 xxx

xxx

gibe Korg pls

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,156 posts
  • 441 topics
  • Joined 12-July 07

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

How do you guys feel about this new era of lossless-discographies-in-one-click, what.cd-style availability for music? It seems to have rustled the jimmies of Richard James to a degree that he'll never do commercial releases again yet your outputs for purchase have been stronger than ever (thank fuck!). Do you shake your fists in the air at each poached download or is your reaction more nuanced. P.S. [bumlicky]With the exception of finding my gateway drug of Incunabula in a used bin back in 1995, all Ae productions have been purchased as "new, original editions"[/bumlicky]  :emotawesomepm9:

#1652 Polymershapes

Polymershapes

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • 15 topics
  • Joined 17-September 06

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

not to spam but i forgot my friend dean had wanted me to ask you to share any thoughts you had on "death and sexuality and empathy"

#1653 Friendly Foil

Friendly Foil

2K, On My Way

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

How come you often save the longest tracks for last? A lot of other artists seems to be doing it too, so I guess there must be some meaning behind it, unless it's just pure coincidence. Saving some of the best for last maybe?

#1654 Guest_rd1994_*

Guest_rd1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

hi there
2 questions
1.have you heard of atmogen? It is for PC (I don't know if also for mac) its a bit like metasynth? ever heard/ worked with it?
2.(okay maybe its sort of two questions meshed into one) there is autechre tracktiles wiki that tries to figure out what lies behind the naming of autechre tracks? Are that father from the truth than they think and why don't you give us some insight into that

#1655 Guest_pixelives_*

Guest_pixelives_*
  • Guests
  • 101 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:42 AM

I've done an OK job of scanning this whole thread, so forgive me if this is a repeat question:

What made you guys decide to do this? It seems like this as been very enlightening, easy going and seems to dispel some common myths associated with you guys and the interaction with the public or press. Something I think we are all very pleased with. 

Obviously journalists tend to have an agenda and caginess or obtuseness would seem like a good stance or defense to maintain some control over the output.

This has been quite the opposite of that, which is great.

#1656 Guest_Seginustemple_*

Guest_Seginustemple_*
  • Guests
  • 0 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:08 AM

If you were given the option to select one of your tracks to go on a golden record* to be beamed into space, which would you choose?

Record_Space.jpg

*Incomplete without surface noise 

This is a good question I hope it doesn't get lost. I O (Mons) could terrify the fuck out of anything sentient, or they could paint humanity as peaceful and send out os veix3 to shed some intergalactic tears. How would Autechre choose to represent our species?

Additionally, did you guys at least enjoy a playthrough of Metroid Prime or was it never up your alley? Greatest collaboration that never happened of all time, imo

#1657 Guest_Grim on Mbient_*

Guest_Grim on Mbient_*
  • Guests
  • 95 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:12 AM

Hey guys, a bit late to the party but I always wanted to know if the Criminal Justice Bill eventually changed your style in a way?
It seems like you can divide your catalog from before that era and after that era or is it just a coincidence?

#1658 gabrielconroy

gabrielconroy

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 09-March 13

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:11 AM

Do you both mainly listen to sequenced electronic/synthesised music, or are you also into hand-arranged sample layers stuff? What do you think of Burial, for example?

where would u put burial in the above categories?

Those categories were a bit rubbish, sorry. I'd put Burial in the second one.

I guess I'm interested in what you two think of stuff like his that's made completely from samples, using a computer, but still arranged by hand (and not necessarily sequenced according to some complex metre and tempo structure).

Are you drawn towards listening to stuff that has machine precision as a major part of its identity, or do you also appreciate stuff like his that has a more heavily human character?

disclaimer: I realise this question is a bit stupid and you can draw the line on human intervention/decision making in different places, but I suppose that's what I'd love to hear your thoughts on. 

#1659 Zephyr_Nova

Zephyr_Nova

QC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 25-January 06
  • Interests:huntin', fishin', shootin' a gun, watchin' the game, taxidermy.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:09 AM

On 1 1 is, are those plucked guitar strings (or other stringed acoustic instrument) that enter the mix at around 5:11?

Do you ever deconstruct parts from old tracks and incorporate them into new tracks?  I remember when I first heard Quaristice there were moments where I thought I recognized bits from older tracks, but in an entirely new context (a cool idea idea I thought).  A good example would be the parallels between Fol3 and Rettic AC --I'm very curious if any of the same source material was used. 

In the second half of vekoS, is the breathy atmosphere in the background a paulstretched reverb (or paulstretched anything)?

#1660 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 68 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

First off big thanks for taking the time to open up for us. I have been a huge fan since Incunabula. I actually had dinner with you guys in Melbourne Australia back in 95/96? You played an amazing set in front of maybe 20 people! Also saw you in 2010 in Melb :-) full house that time.

Anyway I find you guys to be one of the most unique electronic artists and the most advanced when it comes to composition. There have only been 3 times in your career where i thought, oh this track sounds heavily influenced by...and wanted to know if these artists did inspire the tracks.

Slip on Amber reminds me of Severed Heads

VLetrm21 from Garbage sounds like Arvo Part

Pce Freeze2.81 from Oversteps reminds me of Breathing in Fumes

If you do like Mego please check out VICMOD Records http://www.vicmod.net lots of great leftfield electonic artists there.

Thanks again for your time.

shit yeah pce freeze does, wasn't intentional, Breathing in Fumes is one of DMs most amazing. 

the other references, i've not really heard any songs by.

Edited by Rob Ae, 05 November 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#1661 amni

amni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

Do you find any ipad music apps interesting?

#1662 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

I think I can recall awhile back one of you guys said something about how hard it is to leave home because you always feel the need to produce stuff, but I was just wondering if there are any tracks of yours that come to mind that at least stemmed from somewhere besides the studio? I know I often find myself braindead in my studio space with so many options surrounding me - I need a change of scenery to influence the creative headspace now and then. Is this something either of you can attest to?

yeah it was a while ago we said that, partly due to preferring our studio to anywhere else to work. a friend in miami once gave us a Roland PMA5 - maphive6.1 was all this.

Then the travelling to shows after oversteps tour i used Sunvox a lot on iPhone. so anywhere i could get headphones on was good. 

the thing is with being out of the studio, if u hear something amazing u want to use, its usually too elusive cos mics aren't getting it down like our ears/brain, so it won't transfer imo. so reduce it to something u can capture 'as is' that works.

#1663 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

Slip on Amber reminds me of Severed Heads

Woah, really? Any track in particular?

Severd heads era 83-86 check 3 mins and Dead Eyes open.

yeah thats totally fly. reminds me of a lighter keith leblanc, and Propaganda in production terms, quite Trevor Horn.

#1664 k h o v

k h o v

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 17-November 05

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:01 AM

Whenever i plays Perlence Sun it reminds me of that 1985 Vangelis track, from the Invisible connections LP, is it kinda related ? Inspiration or something ?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2RrzRVO9S8I

A shame he didnt go further in that minimal abstract style instead of his poly philarmonic orchestral/choir hollywood madness. 

(Nothing to do with Autechre, but for the mego/sunno))) heads, there is a very limited cassette sold since this morning @emego....)

#1665 Sean Ae

Sean Ae

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • 58 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

name the children's book that had a particularly large effect on u as a child 

did u know that we eat an average of 1 kilo of bugs each year, ground in prepared foods, hiding in salad or whatever?

have u ever held yr hand up, wiggled yr fingers and asked yrselves, wtf is going on? who am i really?

i love the future sound of london from the archives series - can u name several tracs u consider highlights? 

have u listened to the jack dangers peristaltic wave trac?

do u have a secret place were u like to go, that no one else knows about?

would u name something u consider to be of interest within yr immediate vicinity, where u r right now?

if u could eat anything at this particular moment, what would it be?

in the motor vehicles, who is the speedracer between the two of u?

when flying on the airplanes, have u gotten into any noteworthy conversations with the passengers?

name one thing u would change about the educational system in the uk

did the both of u choose to remix the falling trac or did mick choose it for u? 

do u believe in electro magnetic fields? if so, do u believe they have a negative effect on the human body?

what's for breakfast tomorrow? 

will u name one thing u have found near yr home which u consider interesting?

would u plees name one ambient music recording which u fancy?

alice in wonderland

yeah, nutritious bugs, yum

yeah

march of the money men, linear block 5, mouth muse, skinny ribbed fu__er, rotation, yashica, outer heaven

no

how would i know for sure?  but yeah, i think so

only weird anon buildings i can't figure out, there are loads round here

these prawns i had once in this japanese/italian fusion place in tokyo.  i got no idea how he did it but he was using soy, tomato and garlic with some other weird as fuck flavours i couldn't identify. the chef was super secretive, just kept laughing at me for asking.

rob, but i don't drive. if i did it would prob be me

yeah once i say next to ken russell but he never told me who he was, i only realised later. he just said he made films. we watched speed together, he kept pointing out shit bits, he was pretty funny.

if there was some way to allow kids to study things they were actually interested in that would be cool

can't rem. i think mick chose it

well they def exist, they have negative effects if you stick your finger in a plug socket

i got some wild mushrooms i need to eat so I'm gonna have them in a bit, dunno what with yet, maybe an egg

u asked me that already

god that word ambient is such a loaded term (thanks brian)  - i'm gonna say phaedra

#1666 Sean Ae

Sean Ae

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • 178 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

another question, do you guys read magazines or website related to science or math the like to see the new or current technology maybe applicable to your music?

Since I liked your music, I have been reading a lot about math, programming and interesting science stuff, haha :w00t: , no other musician get me to do that, and I think that is a wonderful experience, your music really make me learn a lot, and I start to experiment my own generative stuff now and that is fun!  thank you autechre!

yeah a fair bit but not loads

there's so much happening out there tho, esp in the computer/tech domain

and the politics/pseudoskepticism in the science press gets a bit much sometimes

#1667 Sean Ae

Sean Ae

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:12 AM

I'm cooking dinner for a lady on Saturday night and struggling to know what to do for a starter. What are your thoughts ae?

i once had grilled green chilli peppers with a fried egg, and sea salt crystals. at a smart joint, and was like, hey this is posh truckers food. is she into truckers?

ah brill i've got green chillies

that's brekky sorted then

#1668 Guest_WNS000_*

Guest_WNS000_*
  • Guests
  • 95 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

Rob, I asked this already but I understand not every question from that huge pile can be answered:

How big role plays a mastering engineer when it comes to the vibe of the records. Is he only supposed to make sure the mix of the album is consistent by light touches here and there or were there any situation when he really pushed a track sound to another level?

yeah sorry i saw it and wanted to answer but sometimes the best response isn't the immediate one, cos i know what i mean, but it may not articulate to be worthwhile.

noel summerville,he's the only guy that could actually cut draft 7.30 to vinyl (yeah think thats the right lp). we weren't happy with the first few test presses we got from another plant, so we got warp to throw the premasters to all the cutting rooms they trusted.

noels' TP was spot on given that Draft was heavy on the really quick transients, wooden mids, tight and and rubbery bass - hard to commit to vinyl and get it loud without limited to mush - and keep all the air in the tracks. since that we went in there every time, sit with him talk about our thing. he gets it, suggests often simple transparent approaches he'd like to try, explaining why, and the outcomes etc. we get into it and its done. 

Interesting. Thank you very much. So if you disregard vinyl mastering for this question would his impact on the final sound be also as significant? I mean, there is really a thin line between what needs actual mastering (not just check of an engineer if the record sounds good) and what not. So I always wondered if there were times when he, for example, gave you an advice on how to mix something problematic in you tracks properly to simply make it sound better (to underline the emotions in the track, make it bigger or whatever) or if he really fixed some track that you two were not capable of pushing the right way. Sometimes a master sounds almost identically to a final mix but sometimes there is a big difference that makes a real impact on the track. So were there any situations like this?

#1669 Sean Ae

Sean Ae

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

do you turn up the volume when they play in the air tonight on the radio in the car

is the matrix the third member of autechre?

how many kickdrum rushes are there in Phylopn?

in the air tonight is a brilliant track why does it get so much shit, everything about it's ace, even the weird as fuck lyrics

and shit man it was made in 1980 that's pretty amazing to me from a production/style point of view

yeah

#1670 Ivan Ooze

Ivan Ooze

i kill and eat everybody

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,856 posts
  • 178 topics
  • Joined 22-January 12
  • Interests:musick

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

sean aren't you worried it might be some funny shrooms you are having for breakfast? or are you a professional wild shroom hunter

#1671 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,043 posts
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

How was this possible in the 1960s, is Delia Derbyshire a time traveller ?

#1672 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

MYSLB

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

Do you both mainly listen to sequenced electronic/synthesised music, or are you also into hand-arranged sample layers stuff? What do you think of Burial, for example?

where would u put burial in the above categories?

Those categories were a bit rubbish, sorry. I'd put Burial in the second one.

I guess I'm interested in what you two think of stuff like his that's made completely from samples, using a computer, but still arranged by hand (and not necessarily sequenced according to some complex metre and tempo structure).

Are you drawn towards listening to stuff that has machine precision as a major part of its identity, or do you also appreciate stuff like his that has a more heavily human character?

disclaimer: I realise this question is a bit stupid and you can draw the line on human intervention/decision making in different places, but I suppose that's what I'd love to hear your thoughts on. 

yeah i've got a fair bit of Burial. i used to catch stu allan's hip hop radio shows and house shows, in-between these slots he'd play2 hrs of soul (was the original slot b4 the others came about), i was one of the few kids i knew that could get into it. the britsh stuff was even better than the US, so to me what Burial does is a continuation of that, very UK take on that dripping wet emotional R&B.

i would argue perhaps its not so much by hand, i like the roughness and sometimes unpredictable mixing, but i def hear a strong if somewhat elliptical swing. i get tired of the zippo snares sometimes heheh

#1673 amni

amni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

What do you think of Ricardo Villalobos? To me he is up there with Autechre in being one of the most out there "dance" artists. You guys def push the boundary of what we consider composition more than him due to his 4/4 beats anchoring his tracks but I do like the fact is is quite abstract.

I always thought 808 State were the Weather Report of the dance scene. Comments?

#1674 Sean Ae

Sean Ae

• Featured Artist
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:22 AM

Rob, I asked this already but I understand not every question from that huge pile can be answered:

How big role plays a mastering engineer when it comes to the vibe of the records. Is he only supposed to make sure the mix of the album is consistent by light touches here and there or were there any situation when he really pushed a track sound to another level?

yeah sorry i saw it and wanted to answer but sometimes the best response isn't the immediate one, cos i know what i mean, but it may not articulate to be worthwhile.

noel summerville,he's the only guy that could actually cut draft 7.30 to vinyl (yeah think thats the right lp). we weren't happy with the first few test presses we got from another plant, so we got warp to throw the premasters to all the cutting rooms they trusted.

noels' TP was spot on given that Draft was heavy on the really quick transients, wooden mids, tight and and rubbery bass - hard to commit to vinyl and get it loud without limited to mush - and keep all the air in the tracks. since that we went in there every time, sit with him talk about our thing. he gets it, suggests often simple transparent approaches he'd like to try, explaining why, and the outcomes etc. we get into it and its done. 

Interesting. Thank you very much. So if you disregard vinyl mastering for this question would his impact on the final sound be also as significant? I mean, there is really a thin line between what needs actual mastering (not just check of an engineer if the record sounds good) and what not. So I always wondered if there were times when he, for example, gave you an advice on how to mix something problematic in you tracks properly to simply make it sound better (to underline the emotions in the track, make it bigger or whatever) or if he really fixed some track that you two were not capable of pushing the right way. Sometimes a master sounds almost identically to a final mix but sometimes there is a big difference that makes a real impact on the track. So were there any situations like this?

his goal really is to try to get it so the vinyl sounds the same as what we gave him

but we worked with other engineers who like to get busy messing with stuff (pretty much all of them tbh, noel was the first one we met who had that opposite approach of trying to keep things intact)

sean aren't you worried it might be some funny shrooms you are having for breakfast? or are you a professional wild shroom hunter

nah i'm just a professional wild shroom buyer

i can sue if it goes wrong

What do you think of Ricardo Villalobos? To me he is up there with Autechre in being one of the most out there "dance" artists. You guys def push the boundary of what we consider composition more than him due to his 4/4 beats anchoring his tracks but I do like the fact is is quite abstract.

I always thought 808 State were the Weather Report of the dance scene. Comments?

not heard much villalobos

i'm sure graham would be chuffed to read that haha

i reckon 808 state are tons better but what do i know

#1675 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,043 posts
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:22 AM

What's your opinions of the Commodore 64's SID sound chip when pushed to limits like this -

Attached File  parallax.mp3   2.87MB   28 downloads

Attached File  radient.mp3   7.04MB   17 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Autechre, Sean pls, Rob pls, Bull Wallet, Stoya, Bike, The Mates, The chre, lel, toplel