IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

What did you guys think of the new boards of canada promotion/record?

i enjoyed the ride, it was nice to see them getting so much attention

i reckon the album is pretty good but i prefer it when mike gets more busy on the keyboards, just cos he's so unbelievably good at it

also not sure i understand the politics really but w/e

Man, you guys still kicking it on here eh. Truly good show.

Got some random questions for your discretion...

- Disco Volante or California?

- Breaking Bad: Last 10min of "Crawl Space" or "Ozymandias" for series best?

- Coke or Pepsi?

- Kool Moe Dee or Busy Bee?

- Spoonie Gee Love Rap best drum sample in Hip Hop history? I said it amen break.

- Boxers, briefs, thong or commando?

- Decker - Replicant or human?

- Are we being trolled like a motherfucker with this thread?

- Money, can you guys bum me some? I had to ask. ;)

Thanks again guys.

yeah i know i'm meant to say disco volante but nah, california

Was not a loaded question. California's production was better, but did Volante have the better tracks. Statement not question.

i only started watching it 3 nights ago, i avoided it cos loads of idiots kept telling me how great it was and when i watched a bit of it years ago it seemed totally shit compared to the wire (which those same idiots didn't seem to get)

2 different shows. Breaking Bad is a grower. You probably won't be disappointed.

nah, mountain long red

Haha. Good pull. You like the Boom Bap I suppose. Edan's Fast Rap compilation might be up your alley.

cheers

a lot of the art in my office has a typography theme. would you say this wall fits right in?

20t1p41.jpg

oh that's nice

ha thanks. i have thought about getting another set so i could do the backsides of all them but the idea of lining 8 up exactly on the wall sets my ocd off.

i was thinking exai art was a typography exercise. amirite?

yeah

cool thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Flutter from Anti EP was made in protest against the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, right? A few questions about it : how did you have this idea to "inverse the codes" by making this non-repetitive beat? Also, you said that Flutter is playable at 45 or 33 rpm. How did you manage to create the track? It sound amazing at both speeds and I was wondering if you used a special technic to program it.

it was an obvious loophole, what can i say they had shit lawyers working on it

it was all programmed on an r8 using pads (incl the melodies)

When did your parents stop asking when you were going to get real jobs?

they never did, my folks were amazing, even when i dropped out of college to get a job (to buy gear) they were really supportive and just let me get on with it

what's going on in this photograph?

autechre-1.jpg

i'm really photosensitive

in fact tbh i should be wearing shades all the time, i just really don't wanna look like bono

edit: inb4 all the shoops of me looking like bono roll in

here you go

33pcxat.jpg

Edited by jules

You guys played at an open-air music festival in nagano, japan during the oversteps tour. How does this environment suit your live stuff seeing as you're very interested in the acoustics of the venue.

i really like it cos it's not often we get to wet everything so much

we did one in a massive courtyard in rome once with these little nexo speakers everywhere and it sounded so fucking good, totally plasticky

Sean, regarding your answer to the question about the resonant structure in question... I remember reading somewhere a long time ago (interview maybe) that the sounds were infact from your rectum - the piece made as a joke or "statement" referencing the sort of rabid fan who would purchase their favorite artist's new album even if it was straight farting for 45 minutes. I won't ask to confirm or deny ...but I think it is hilarious if true.

nah that's not it

Aye I think having heard it (well, an extract) you can tell it's not -

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/ae_-_resonant.mp3

I remember you telling FM it was something like microphones at different positions recording water falling into tubing or something similar (then reversed presumably)

Guest MastaN8

So are you guys enjoying your interaction with your fans so far?

Btw I agree that a good majority of 'mericans do not dance at the shows and just wave cellphones in your face, but come on give us another chance! Haven't seen you guys since quaristice tour!!!

do either of you read fiction, aside from aforementioned pkd? anything strong enough to rearrange the way you thought about the world from that point on?

after pkd, i was pointed to kurt vonnegut, and tried to catch up on some called classic sf writers like alfred bester and james blish.

some of the synth modulations i've heard on recordings of the oversteps tour are insane. i'm pretty surprised to hear that it's all nord because i've heard textures that i thought were only achievable with something like an fs1r, really complex envelopes & rapid timbre changes. i'm wondering - do you ever have problems choking the midi bandwidth sending out so many parameters in realtime? does stuff ever drop-out live and you just sort of roll with it, or do you do extensive stress testing first to make sure all the params are making it to the synth?

sorry for the super technical question. have had problems with my g2 not catching everything when i'm sending it a lot of midi.

yeah all Nord sounds, G2 and rack.

the only downside was the delay as it switches voices after PChanges.

most of the movements on the G2 were either built in curves ctrls in modules or manual cuts as opposed to sending cc's there were quite a few cc's but not enough to jam anything. it would die onstage from time to time.

hi there

multiple questions, again (I think some of them have been overlooked

1.have you heard of atmogen? It is for PC (I don't know if also for mac) its a bit like metasynth? ever heard/ worked with it?

2.(okay maybe its sort of two questions meshed into one) there is autechre tracktiles wiki that tries to figure out what lies behind the naming of autechre tracks? Are that father from the truth than they think and why don't you give us some insight into that

4.what way do you prefer your music to be heard (vinyl, CD or mp3?)

5.what made you decide to split Dial/CapIV into two tracks?

also is CapIV comparable to a version titling similar to draft 7.30?

1. no

2. some of them are accurate, some are way off. no clues, sorry

3. oh there is no 3

4. wav, cd or vinyl

5. they were always two tracks, we didn't split anything

no, it means something specific (refers to a vocal sample in the track)

to 5 ..well I just thought that because 2 and three seem to go together its like 1 track split in two parts? or were they created seperately and they just seemed to fit?

btw I can really recommend atmogen ...again it works from the spectrogram side of the music...you can draw the sounds so to speak...if done right it sounds wicked and you get some VERY nice sounds (I use it quite often just for that)

yeah they just seemed to fit

ok i'll check it sometime. cheers

after pkd, i was pointed to kurt vonnegut, and tried to catch up on some called classic sf writers like alfred bester and james blish.

nice!

and people do dance to ae in the US, sometimes. I remember one guy dancing like a maniac at the Oakland show during the Confield tour.

You guys played at an open-air music festival in nagano, japan during the oversteps tour. How does this environment suit your live stuff seeing as you're very interested in the acoustics of the venue.

i really like it cos it's not often we get to wet everything so much

we did one in a massive courtyard in rome once with these little nexo speakers everywhere and it sounded so fucking good, totally plasticky

the free phaser module that an outdoor show brings with it is one of the highlights of outdoor (large) events, usually its a pain because there might seem like less control as opposed to a static structure, but it def adds some shifts that are really deep.

This next one is for Sean's eyes only. So please Rob, avert your eyes. Respect our privacy:

Phew, ok. Now that Rob's out of the way, I can't hurt his feelings. He named my acoustic guitar Rifdent Stroakes. It's not bad, but it's too obvious a reference to Diff'rent Strokes. Not dissociative enough. I was thinking what name you would give my dusty old acoustic guitar that I haven't touched in years? Maybe I'll mash those names together. Don't tell Rob, he might think I'm a jerk :'(

Also Rob gave a great review for this. Would you mind?

Sorry to be a pain guys, but I made a tune back in 2006 which another user on here recently made a video for (Triachus) and I was wondering if you guys would mind providing a critique, maybe a short review that I can use on the EP cover when it inevitably gets a vinyl release?

Hi Rob. I'm kidding about the whole Sean Eyes Only thing of course. Please don't hurt me.

Guest MastaN8

nice!

and people do dance to ae in the US, sometimes. I remember one guy dancing like a maniac at the Oakland show during the Confield tour.

I know I poured sweat out of my boots last 2 times I saw them. Untilted tour the floor was on fire, there was one of the fattest guys I've ever seen doing an epic interpretive dance. So good in fact, Its blistered on my brain.

How many of these are true about Draft7.30, or has some internetter gone nuts -

Xylin Room: Originally titled "Benk Chin"

IV VV IV VV VIII: Originally titled "nwnw8"

6IE.CR: Originally named "606.ie"

TAPR: Originally named "reppat"

Theme of Sudden Roundabout: Originally titled "Prince Moth Mothy Moth Moth"

VL AL 5: Originally titled "Vlimpton Alpha 5"

P.:NTIL: Originally titled "Foam Conduit".

v-proc: Originally titled "uprock"

reniform puls: Originally titled "kidney bean"

'Prince Moth Mothy Moth Moth' is a flipping incredible name for a track !

Btw I agree that a good majority of 'mericans do not dance at the shows and just wave cellphones in your face, but come on give us another chance! Haven't seen you guys since quaristice tour!!!

its good

i wish journos had questions this good tbh, it would make that side of the biz a lot less tiresome

yeah we will be back of course

why don't people dance there? like, as far as i can tell, in order to dance there people have to get totally shitfaced first and it becomes this whole other thing

Saw you mentioned some drummer tastes a few pages back.

Tony Royster Jr. is one of the bright up & comers imo right now. This kid can kill it.

For your consumption. He has better cuts, but this one is brief & 2 the point.

edit: Thoughts on JoJo Mayer?

[youtubehd]5nC6-__vlUM[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]gKve3TyC0Sk[/youtubehd]

Edited by olo

what do you guys think of bochum welt's music? have you checked out his latest release (good programs)?

also - are you guys making plans to play live soon? perhaps gigs in 2014? would you consider playing in the East of England on your next tour? For example, the Norwich Arts Centre (where Plaid have done several gigs - nice intimate space with decent sound system) would be an excellent place for you guys. Don't forget about your fans in the East!

Edited by Bread

why don't people dance there? like, as far as i can tell, in order to dance there people have to get totally shitfaced first and it becomes this whole other thing

deep abiding shame

Edited by Polymershapes

Hi there!

I am part of a musical collective that have met monthly for five+ years. Each time dinner is shared and each participants musical (well, more or less) contribution is presented and scrutinised according to a 'dogm'.

The dogm could be like... Make music for this one minute mov clip or use 1 sec sampled voices only or FM synthesis. Often constraints.

My question: since we have passed dogma no 55 we now sometimes have problems finding a new and inspiring dogm.

What would you find to be an interesting dogm to force you out of your comfort zone?

Guest MastaN8

its good

i wish journos had questions this good tbh, it would make that side of the biz a lot less tiresome

yeah we will be back of course

People are insecure. Don't like to be judged... Or they don't feel like tarnishing their hipster cred. It just takes a few people like myself to lead and others follow. I'll always be the first one dancing and people seem to think "oh look at this white buffoon with 2 left feet, if he can do it I can".... You could hire me to go on tour with you, for instance, pump me full of chemicals and plant me dead center on the dance floor. I'd also knock cellphones out of peoples hands "accidentally"... That'd definitely fix our problem...

This next one is for Sean's eyes only. So please Rob, avert your eyes. Respect our privacy:

Phew, ok. Now that Rob's out of the way, I can't hurt his feelings. He named my acoustic guitar Rifdent Stroakes. It's not bad, but it's too obvious a reference to Diff'rent Strokes. Not dissociative enough. I was thinking what name you would give my dusty old acoustic guitar that I haven't touched in years? Maybe I'll mash those names together. Don't tell Rob, he might think I'm a jerk :'(

Also Rob gave a great review for this. Would you mind?

Sorry to be a pain guys, but I made a tune back in 2006 which another user on here recently made a video for (Triachus) and I was wondering if you guys would mind providing a critique, maybe a short review that I can use on the EP cover when it inevitably gets a vinyl release?

Hi Rob. I'm kidding about the whole Sean Eyes Only thing of course. Please don't hurt me.

this work is a tour-de-force of modern filmmaking. haunting abstract symbolism. puts me in mind of "winter of my despondency" by olof svensson

your guitar is now called 'squarepusher'