IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

do you guys implore a lot/any numerology in your tracks/programming. i.e.: golden ratio or anything like that?

not nitpicking - but golden ratio isn't really numerology

true, how about number theories, ratios, etc.

funny that came out at 11:11 which i love.

yeah i mean, maths tricks are cool. ratios really seem to come more into play with 2d things tho

i always notice things like proportions of windows as feeling right or wrong but i haven't done any proper research into it

if i was a designer i'd probably be all over it

i heard that sean has polish roots, is this true? // (+come to poland lol)

mostly scottish, with a few irish, a few less welsh, and a tiny number of poles

who told u that? p sure i only told like 3 people ever

i found it accidentally on a polish site by googling autechre

http://www.muno.pl/dj-art/autechre/

[...] Rochdale. To właśnie tutaj w połowie lat 80. ubiegłego wieku poznali się Rob Brown i potomek polskich emigrantów Sean Booth [...]

(if you are too lazy to use google translate:)

~[...] Rochdale. Here in the mid 80s of the last century Rob Brown and descendant of Polish immigrants Sean Booth met each other [...]

strange

Yeah I heard it in that Polish radio show. Exactly that sentence.

you ever see this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwidT13MNBA

really turned me on to the nord lead.

really still holds up as a va.

I mean, isn't this possible with a lot of other different VAs? I don't hear anything special there.

tbh the best thing about the lead/rack 1 was the drum maps, having 8 diff sounds per channel is enough to do whole tracks

like, the first half of vose in is all one of those things running realtime. having the limited poly means you get the notes stealing a bit so things overlap weirdly

Say, Sean and Rob, do you guys have any questions for WATMM?

Although this goes against the premise of the thread, flipping the script could be humorous. But, I think they already perused the

"List 2 strange facts about yourself" thread & found that satisfying enough.

do you guys implore a lot/any numerology in your tracks/programming. i.e.: golden ratio or anything like that?

yeah i mean, maths tricks are cool. ratios really seem to come more into play with 2d things tho

i always notice things like proportions of windows as feeling right or wrong but i haven't done any proper research into it

heh, i am!

i was just asking because tool has a song where they applied the fibonacci to the timing of the song, syllables of the lyrics flow 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, etc and it had fascinating results. was curious if you guys ever experimented with stuff like that too. thanks!

i heard that sean has polish roots, is this true? // (+come to poland lol)

mostly scottish, with a few irish, a few less welsh, and a tiny number of poles

who told u that? p sure i only told like 3 people ever

i found it accidentally on a polish site by googling autechre

http://www.muno.pl/dj-art/autechre/

[...] Rochdale. To właśnie tutaj w połowie lat 80. ubiegłego wieku poznali się Rob Brown i potomek polskich emigrantów Sean Booth [...]

(if you are too lazy to use google translate:)

~[...] Rochdale. Here in the mid 80s of the last century Rob Brown and descendant of Polish immigrants Sean Booth met each other [...]

strange

Yeah I heard it in that Polish radio show. Exactly that sentence.

wow chinese whispers there i reckon

i might have got drunk somewhere and said something, who knows

it's like 2% true if that

ever use numerology under osx?

nah, i've seen it tho, someone i know uses it

you ever see this video?

I mean, isn't this possible with a lot of other different VAs? I don't hear anything special there.

tbh the best thing about the lead/rack 1 was the drum maps, having 8 diff sounds per channel is enough to do whole tracks

like, the first half of vose in is all one of those things running realtime. having the limited poly means you get the notes stealing a bit so things overlap weirdly

Interesting.

So, have you tried Blofeld? I mean, it's a really cheap VA (and bugged sometimes) but I think the routing (and programming) possibilities are very good.

do you enjoy Nutella spread?

do you enjoy listening to your tracks over anyone elses'?

yeah too much, that stuff's deadly

nah i wouldn't say that, but they sometimes fill a void that seems to present itself

Don't suppose you know why the AM doesn't work properly on VGM Music Maker? (I noticed you love Megadrive sounds) Is there any kind of fix anywhere?

never used that, is it a sega tracker thing?

i only ever played the console i never tried to make tracks with one

Have you tried Speculoos (aka Biscoff) spread? Perhaps even deadlier...

no but i will

where do i get that from?

Don't blame me if you gain a massive amount of weight!

This is the mass-market stuff. You can probably find it in most grocery stores:

http://www.amazon.com/Biscoff-Spread-14-oz/dp/B005IZHXGG

And this is the best speculoos spread I've ever had:

http://arcadianyc.com/Products/View/19935

Try it on a liege wafel (made with pearl sugar so it's a little crunchy).

heh, i am!

i was just asking because tool has a song where they applied the fibonacci to the timing of the song, syllables of the lyrics flow 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, etc and it had fascinating results. was curious if you guys ever experimented with stuff like that too. thanks!

fibonacci is kind of hard to work with cos the vals scale up so fast

but it def looks pretty

i did some fm with it once, tuning each freq that way, came out pretty natural sounding actually

given your maxmsp setup is capable of such a wealth of variation, do you ever feel the urge to release a lot more than you do? it seems like you would have tons of wicked alternate takes a la quaristice ready to go.

then again, exai + l-event is 10 sides of vinyl...

heh, i am!

Not only syllables but isn't even the composition in that timing?

What is more fascinating is that the results are not only interesting but very musical and it's like one of their best tracks.

you ever see this video?

Interesting.

So, have you tried Blofeld? I mean, it's a really cheap VA (and bugged sometimes) but I think the routing (and programming) possibilities are very good.

never used one but i did like the look of them when they came out, i heard they were buggy tho

Have you guys checked out the Logic Pro X Scripter MIDI plugin? You can use JavaScript to build MIDI processors... You can do some wild stuff with it. I assume you guys are all set with Max though.

heh, i am!

What is more fascinating is that the results are not only interesting but very musical and it's like one of their best tracks.

the tool track in question, for reference:

given your maxmsp setup is capable of such a wealth of variation, do you ever feel the urge to release a lot more than you do? it seems like you would have tons of wicked alternate takes a la quaristice ready to go.

yeah we can't release everything, even 2.5 hours is too much for busy people

Have you guys checked out the Logic Pro X Scripter MIDI plugin? You can use JavaScript to build MIDI processors... You can do some wild stuff with it. I assume you guys are all set with Max though.

i never heard of that actually, i'll look into it cheers

heh, i am!

the tool track in question, for reference:

yea, the time signature changes from 9/8 to 8/8 to 7/8 (987 is the 16th fibonacci number)

Guest cult fiction

yeah we can't release everything, even 2.5 hours is too much for busy people

Does Warp preclude you from chucking the alternates on the web in a low-key manner?

Do you have track titles for the live tracks you do?

not usually

but like, when we get handed a PRS form to fill in we make up a ton on the spot

so there are a lot of PRS listings for weird tracks that are only parts of live sets and that we subsequently forgot the names of

Do you still have such list? Can you show it to us? Sounds it would be good for a laugh.

i have oversteps list here, but not sure if you'll like them lol plus its not fair on sean cos he doesn't use words.

Even if I don't like it, my curiosity will at least be satisfied, so don't worry about that. And screw Sean, he named my guitar Squarepusher. That's not fair. And it's not even a bass. :'(

aw crying with laughter at you….. if Sean PM's me i'll do it.

Edit : kerching…. my 303 rd post on watmm. ?

Edited by Rob Ae