IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

please no guest vocals unless you warp and degrade them mercilessly

when making Oversteps, was there even a small element of it being a reaction against those folks who had been saying "they forgot how to make nice melodies"? Or were you just following your muse as per usual?

Edit: btw that tale about Bucephalus Bouncing Ball vs. Drane 2 is fantastic!

(Drane 2 is one of my absolute faves)

Edited by lumpenprol

A couple more while you're thinking up some to questions for us...

Amber is your only sleeve with seemingly untreated photography, is this something you would consider going back to, or do you think abstract/generated art is the bet visual interpretation of your music?

Any thoughts on the midlands? North and south England seem to have strong identities, but us midlanders seem to get forgotten about.

Also, been stuck in a creative rut lately, but all yr talk of enjoying jamming tracks has really inspired me into doing stuff like that and I'm pretty happy with all, definitely needed to stop thinking about the result and just get lost in the moment. So thanks for that!

nah brumes get the love from above and below, whereas top and bottom hate each other no?

when making Oversteps, was there even a small element of it being a reaction against those folks who had been saying "they forgot how to make nice melodies"? Or were you just following your muse as per usual?

Good question. Interested too.

The Stereolab remix is awesome, how did it come about? Are you fans of theirs or did they approach you or what?

Curious about this.

they asked us, i think they liked our tracks and wanted a version, was good fun to make, and we managed to bang a few offcuts from their real drummer and her singing which i still really rate.

I feel embarrassed but can you (or anyone) please re-write this sentence to standard english so I can understand it better? I am not a native and idioms and slang are problem. Thank you. "and we managed to bang a few offcuts from their real drummer and her singing which i still really rate"

ahem, yeah we're not butchers or anything.

I've found out in this thread you guys have once performed with Fennesz. I'm guessing there are no recordings of it?

Also found this: http://autechre.net.ua/en/articles/article11.htm

What year was that? How did it that you guys performed together, who contacted who?

You said playing with him "went well". Is there a chance you guys might ever do something like that again? Or a collaborated album? Maybe just 1 track even? Fennesz is quite the collaboration beast.

sean, you mentioned the physical toll of touring... d'you mean like all the partying and std's ;) or the travelling and stress of having to be in a certain place, certain time, etc? i guess i'm interested in whether as you get older, you find the late night nature of touring, performing, etc becoming more of a chore?

what's your perfect 'buzz' for performing? (if anything)

what's your favourite continent and why?

how often (when you're not touring) do you get recognized in the street?

what iyo is the last good orb record? and last good black dog record?

what do think of the roses comeback?

what would you like for christmas?

ok cant find my old question on here but was wondering if u guys ever upgraded to a pacarana or still messing with kyma language ??> :)

answered this earlier but no, our Capybara is with Daz Fitton, Bola

Amber is your only sleeve with seemingly untreated photography, is this something you would consider going back to, or do you think abstract/generated art is the bet visual interpretation of your music?

Any thoughts on the midlands? North and south England seem to have strong identities, but us midlanders seem to get forgotten about.

Also, been stuck in a creative rut lately, but all yr talk of enjoying jamming tracks has really inspired me into doing stuff like that and I'm pretty happy with all, definitely needed to stop thinking about the result and just get lost in the moment. So thanks for that!

nah brumes get the love from above and below, whereas top and bottom hate each other no?

Kinda, though lots hate it for the accent. East Mids gets the most forgotten, Nottingham, Leicester, Derby.

shameless push

This page on whosampled.com:

http://www.whosampled.com/search/?q=autechre

Is it accurate? If not, where?

Any other things that should be added?

hah, you can't blame me for trying

*slight shame*

yeah this all looks in order. theres much debate as to the original Gangstarr part tho'

oversteps - basically we were making algorithms with a view to using them repeatedly, and seeing how flexible we could make them in terms of being able to reuse them in lots of different contexts (making diff styles of music) and it kind of grew out of that

i dunno if we were really successful in achieving our aims (not really, we got very sidetracked and went with it into a different zone) but we liked the result and ended up shaping it further into that kind of oversteps territory

i think we were concentrating on melody, harmony counterpoint and all that cos the rhythm stuff has been second nature for a while, in terms of programming and algos and such, and we thought we might learn more if we came at it from the opposite angle

shameless push

This page on whosampled.com:

http://www.whosampled.com/search/?q=autechre

Is it accurate? If not, where?

Any other things that should be added?

hah, you can't blame me for trying

*slight shame*

yeah this all looks in order. theres much debate as to the original Gangstarr part tho'

did u even check that recury one?

ok cant find my old question on here but was wondering if u guys ever upgraded to a pacarana or still messing with kyma language ??> :)

ahh cool couldn't find earlier. was wondering about your guys kyma usage, i thought i saw u using during a show in detroit festival a few years back , some black boxes sitting beside laptops. could have been harddrives though. im just 2 years into kyma language thanks to the butthole surfers :)

Edited by kero

I always find it difficult to fathom constantly working with another person. Are there any "solo" tracks that either of you have put out?

What are some tips for collaborating with other musicians and not being completely selfish/dominant?

I can't keep up with the questions anymore so I might be asking a repeat

How did you guys get set up spinning for IBC?

Also who did the scratching on Goz Quarter

The Stereolab remix is awesome, how did it come about? Are you fans of theirs or did they approach you or what?

Curious about this.

they asked us, i think they liked our tracks and wanted a version, was good fun to make, and we managed to bang a few offcuts from their real drummer and her singing which i still really rate.

I feel embarrassed but can you (or anyone) please re-write this sentence to standard english so I can understand it better? I am not a native and idioms and slang are problem. Thank you. "and we managed to bang a few offcuts from their real drummer and her singing which i still really rate"

ahem, yeah we're not butchers or anything.

Haha, no that wasn't what I was thinking. What I got wrong was that I thought you meant "I am really glad (and proud) we managed to convince their drummer and singer to give us few out-takes" which wasn't very meaningful translation for me in the given context :D I mean it does give sense but...why would you be so proud of that? :D

...torturing a drummer and a singer in a basement to finally get those fucking stems out of them.

Edited by Jev

oh sorry

your weird formatting threw me

2 there are but no plans to release any yet

3 can you rephrase that?

ahh cool couldn't find earlier. was wondering about your guys kyma usage, i thought i saw u using during a show in detroit festival a few years back , some black boxes sitting beside laptops. could have been harddrives though. im just 2 years into kyma language thanks to the butthole surfers :)

nah we didn't take kyma outside.

No answers ;( ......... my juno 6 & korg delta are sittin by a bath contemplating life or not wrkin..

lol sorry mate, i keep half expecting SB to have named this already as I'm still 3 pages from the edge…..

your juno6 is called Robert Mcall

your korg is called Freddie Laker

Ha ha genius thx rob! some serious names there.... sry to ask again my 1st question way back was to see if you guys would potentially be interested to do something at this space which is a multi story car park, sometime nxt summer. Russell Haswell & many others did projects there last summer, what would b the best way to get some info to u about it? should i pm u some links so u can check it out?

I can't keep up with the questions anymore so I might be asking a repeat

How did you guys get set up spinning for IBC?

Also who did the scratching on Goz Quarter

originally, in 87 or 88, our mate ged met someone on a bus i think, and somehow rob b got asked to go and spin some tunes, but they got raided

so then in like 89 i think or 90 we got another call off them just asking if we were still djing and we said we were doing tracks and they invited us onto andy's show to do an interview as a band (i guess to fill some time)

then after the interview we got chatting and they came back a few weeks later and offered us a show and we thought it would be a good way to get our tracks out there so we said yeah

that story about Roedelius shouting on you after collaboration with him and Fennesz reminds me of story behind performing and recording of MIMEO - 'The Hands Of Caravaggio' but in opposite way — John Tilbury was patient and behaved with dignity and respect (but was really shocked, according to memoirs)

btw, do you know Marcus Schmickler?

have you guys noticed how little music seems to come out of these synth forum enthusiasts? like a guy with 30 grand in serge modules doesn't seem to make any music. do you find there is a danger in making the gear center stage? do you think it gets in the way of making tracks?