IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

when you guys are getting your live sets together, do you usually start with a base of the record you are touring on or have a whole new thing going on? with stuff like flex 96, it seems all fresh but the untilted tour had obvious stuff from the album which then morphed into stuff for quari. i havent heard any of the oversteps tour (hint hint)

im excited over what exai material could morph into live with all those huge grooves.

it really depends, with quaristice etc it kind of happened 'organically' cos we didn't have a full studio for a few months and we were jamming with sequences from the live set

and sometimes we take sequences from album tracks and throw them into whatever live set we're doing

but yeah for the most part we start from scratch

awesome. i guess that 45 minutes recks on will have to live in my brain then.

when you guys are getting your live sets together, do you usually start with a base of the record you are touring on or have a whole new thing going on? with stuff like flex 96, it seems all fresh but the untilted tour had obvious stuff from the album which then morphed into stuff for quari. i havent heard any of the oversteps tour (hint hint)

im excited over what exai material could morph into live with all those huge grooves.

it really depends, with quaristice etc it kind of happened 'organically' cos we didn't have a full studio for a few months and we were jamming with sequences from the live set

and sometimes we take sequences from album tracks and throw them into whatever live set we're doing

Always been curious about this myself.....

This particular live segment - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmxqSfMVWn8- is probably my all-time favourite Autechre moment. Is this an evolution of a previous live section or album track? If not, did it ever morph in to something which appeared on a later release?

It's mind blowing. Beatwise are we hearing a good bit of the EFM bass drum in there?

when i listen to your music i often feel intense inspiration, like this burst of freedom and desire to make music and like anything is possible, but at the same time i also will often feel completely humbled, like i could never be that good, and like ae is just on some other fantastic level.

are there any records that make you guys feel this way? like, something that completely inspires you and connects you with your love of music but at the same time makes you feel like it's way ahead of you?

Hey guys, I'm still here following this, which leads me to ask did y'all realize probably hundreds if not thousands of man-hours are being lost right now due to the obsessive compulsion to click refresh?

Worth it tho :)

Also I'm about to record a remix of my friend's track onto cassette tape, first feeding a few live tracks into a fostex x-18h 4-trk, then straight recording it using a technics rs-t911 double cassette deck....have y'all any words of wisdom that would be some things to consider?

Edit:

What it feels like in Memphis today

Edited by soma

Always been curious about this myself.....

This particular live segment - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmxqSfMVWn8- is probably my all-time favourite Autechre moment. Is this an evolution of a previous live section or album track? If not, did it ever morph in to something which appeared on a later release?

It's mind blowing. Beatwise are we hearing a good bit of the EFM bass drum in there?

this part was new - made just for the live set.

are you guys enjoying this? it looks tiring. You are very cool to do this.

yeah its good

keeping track of it all is a bit kind of totally impossible due to navigation slowness so if i'm skipping anything just repost it

some stuff i'm skipping cos i already answered ITT somewhere

and obv I'm trying to do other things like eat as well

sisyphus-sign.jpg

You are influenced by a lot of hip-hop, mainly 80's. Do hip-hop artist that listen to your music hear that influence? How do most hip-hop artist or fans react to your music?

Outkast praising Squarepusher, Kanye West sampling Aphex Twin... Were there ever any big rap/hip-hop names that approached you for collaborations/productions, or wanted to sample you (or have?)?

Any well-known rapper that you want to be approached by?

*push*

Hey guys, I'm still here following this, which leads me to ask did y'all realize probably hundreds if not thousands of man-hours are being lost right now due to the obsessive compulsion to click refresh?

Worth it tho :)

Also I'm about to record a remix of my friend's track onto cassette tape, first feeding a few live tracks into a fostex x-18h 4-trk, then straight recording it using a technics rs-t911 double cassette deck....have y'all any words of wisdom that would be some things to consider?

Edit:

What it feels like in Memphis today

yeah do a few runs at diff levels

make sure the azimuth's sensible, if not then def run off copies to digi like as soon as you do it

other than that nah, i mean there's no rules

Sean can you please give the ok to Rob to post his track titles for the Oversteps tour? :)

Preferably going by the Domino recording too as that's the one I live off!

Oh also, the live stuff you're working on now. Is this going to be essentially for the Exai tour, or are you thinking of being great and doing a tour for your next album due Summer 2014? (pls say yes <3)

Last question ever: can you name a future track 'obel is the best'? I think that's a reasonable request considering I'm a top notch boy

sisyphus-sign.jpg

You are influenced by a lot of hip-hop, mainly 80's. Do hip-hop artist that listen to your music hear that influence? How do most hip-hop artist or fans react to your music?

Outkast praising Squarepusher, Kanye West sampling Aphex Twin... Were there ever any big rap/hip-hop names that approached you for collaborations/productions, or wanted to sample you (or have?)?

Any well-known rapper that you want to be approached by?

*push*

lel kanye sampled afx, which track? didn't know about that

no clue i dunno how many hip hop ppl check our stuff

i know el-p likes some of it, he approached for collab once, might still happen i was busy as fuck at the time

i dunno there are so many i like, like asking me what's my favourite cheese or something

how are your backs holding up? (eh sorry if this sounds weird)

i mean i do notice a lot of strain from standing, head down looking at gear, or just sitting at a desk a lot....

Guest MastaN8

It's fair to say you enjoy 70's/80's German electronic with kraftwek laying some foundations for 80's hip hop... Do you like anything coming out of Germany now? Ie modeselektor/apparat/siriusmo?