IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Not necessarily a question per say... people told me to post this here.

Basically, I saw you guys back in 1999 at Coachella. You guys played Lyrics of Fury by Eric B. & Rakim mixed with Blifil... That moment basically changed my insight on Electronic Music and Hip Hop forever. Looking at the 2 in different light. Since then I would DJ mixing the 2 styles together... So basically what I'm saying to you guys is thank you!

Not sure if you guys are fans of biggie or not, But I did this for fun about a month ago.

On a related note. about 10 years ago I was djing at an art gallery and I was playing your track ccec. Someone walks up to me and says "You got any hip hop?" I responded. "This is Hip Hop!" then we almost got in a fight. :)

i guess my question got buried or something so i'll try again:

do you think that your music has some sort of minimal requirements for proper appreciation and understanding or one can approach it tabula rasa simply as a world that's openly explorable ?

That track on Across Uneven Terrain is uncharacteristically straight up techno (and some fine fine techno imho), how did that come about? Do you guys listen to an current techno producers?

yeah bits, i like rrose, kyle hall, cygnus, AnD, bits of perc, and other things who's names escape

that mix of VA was like a tribute to basic channel and mills really. what he sent to us reminded us of that, we kind of did an ae version of the idiom we thought it was in rather than of the track, while sampling his track, and making it all digital for sport

Guest November

How important is isolation in the creative process? Do you guys mostly follow routine and habits or do you have to deliberarely get comfortable to start really focusing?

Per definition this is the last question: Did you guys ever read http://5z8.info/banned-in-the-US_q3p8hy_-----TAKE.TWITTER.LOGIN-----

repost that link - i think something went wrong there - it feeds back

Yeah, correct. I wanted to catch you in an endless loop and then sell you to best bidding fanboys but it obviously did not work. *runningawayquickly*

well while ur running if u can keep reposting that link

lel

Rob its a self referential url redirect (to the same posting), a stupid joke pls lets forget it.

i was trying to be funny sorry.

*coughs* so about that baby name :emotawesomepm9:

sure it's an odd request, but most names don't mean anything any more anyway...and in an era where we can date online before even meeting someone, I think naming a kid over the internet is not so beyond the pale...

one girl and one boy name?

(and no, if you pick something like Fanny or Dilbert, I'm not so far gone that I'd use them, heh....consider it helping me to brainstorm?)

could you please id this track (from old dissengage show around 95..)

i'd been trying to found out for 10 years.. Gescom ??

sorry its so short but i cannot add more..

beaumont hannant , mines still on vinyl copy so i'll id the actual track asap

Edit - sym-phon5

if theres one unsung hero in all this talk of UK electronica scene cMid 90s its Beamont Hannant, i want all to go get some.

holy crap, just checked out anokhi...

and sym-phon5

damn

Edited by jules

Hi guys!

Thank you for answering so many of these questions. In particular, I've really liked the advice for people making music which basically seems to be, "Do what feels right." It's something that I've thought numerous times before, but after a time tend to forget until I get reminded or think of it again. It's been especially difficult to remember this recently, since I've been trying to insert myself into the electronic scene here in Portland, OR where it seems that venues only want a certain type of music and I feel like I need to sound a certain way to get "in" with the people that make booking decisions. So thanks for reminding me, yet again. :)

My question is: Do you have any advice on how to get into playing shows in an environment that seems mostly closed off (even almost allergic to it, it seems) from anything that's the least bit experimental? Like, I've given my material to bookers/promoters, and they dig it, but don't want it played at their venues. It's quite a bit frustrating. I think you mentioned something about this weird-sameness going on in Europe right now, too.

I actually have another question, but maybe a little selfish. Will you listen to a few of my tracks and tell me what you think? I can PM some links.

Thanks again for inspiration, and awesome music!

Some of you might have come across the "original track titles" going around when Draft 7.30 was released:

Benk Chin

nwnw8

606.ie

Reppat

Theft

Prince Moth Mothy Moth Moth

Vlimpton Alpha 5

Foam Conduit

Uprock

Kidney Bean

So, are these real? Can you tell us a little more about how you come up with your track titles?

Hello Sean, Rob just wanted to say hello, been a while, hope you guys are well. :happy:

hey Rich

just thinking about first time we met….

hope alls well at u 2

How important is isolation in the creative process? Do you guys mostly follow routine and habits or do you have to deliberarely get comfortable to start really focusing?

nah the zone hides everywhere, in all different activities and settings

there are people who think they need certain conditions to be satisfied before they can enter but they just locked themselves out of going there in certain contexts, usually cos going there caused some external problem for them once in that context

could you please id this track (from old dissengage show around 95..)

i'd been trying to found out for 10 years.. Gescom ??

sorry its so short but i cannot add more..

beaumont hannant , mines still on vinyl copy so i'll id the actual track asap

Edit - sym-phon5

if theres one unsung hero in all this talk of UK electronica scene cMid 90s its Beamont Hannant, i want all to go get some.

holy crap, just checked out anokhi...

and sym-phon5

damn

Thanks Rob !!!! yeah that was that Sym Phon5 track (not Anokhi), i'd been listening to that old disengage mix for years, its on my blackberry : the end of a 10 years quest. Fabulous tune.

I don't remember seeing an answer to the piano question(s?), but I'm sure you have heard this:

?

Quite fitting IMO.

You should do a piano-only track one day. Worked out great for Clark and afx and whonot.

Some of you might have come across the "original track titles" going around when Draft 7.30 was released:

Benk Chin

nwnw8

606.ie

Reppat

Theft

Prince Moth Mothy Moth Moth

Vlimpton Alpha 5

Foam Conduit

Uprock

Kidney Bean

So, are these real? Can you tell us a little more about how you come up with your track titles?

yeah real, the actual file titles

i threw them on cddb before the release for a laugh to see if anyone would notice

Hello WATMM!

Hello Sean and Rob!

....yes, this is a serious question: ....what is you opnion (if any) of classic country music? (any and all between 1928-1984)

gotta get in on this....relics are vital for me as a memory substitution

please name my Octatrack....and name ME (serious)

so long and thanks for all the _______

ps- bc of Valis, I think Radio Free Albemuth gets swept under the rug unfairly...chack it out if you haven't already

I don't remember seeing an answer to the piano question(s?), but I'm sure you have heard this:

?

Quite fitting IMO.

You should do a piano-only track one day. Worked out great for Clark and afx and whonot.

yeah i really like this

I keep asking questions when you guys go to sleep so no sure if you answered or not?

DO you like doing the Sound On Sound and Future Music interviews where you talk more about your gear? Its always a great insight to see the studio and read about the gear, kind of like what you are doing now.