IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

I've found out in this thread you guys have once performed with Fennesz. I'm guessing there are no recordings of it?

Also found this: http://autechre.net.ua/en/articles/article11.htm

What year was that? How did it that you guys performed together, who contacted who?

You said playing with him "went well". Is there a chance you guys might ever do something like that again? Or a collaborated album? Maybe just 1 track even? Fennesz is quite the collaboration beast.

*pushes it to the limit*

yeah i like his stuff a lot, i'd def do another gig with him i think he gets what we're doing

ok sean said repost so i repost

a few more:

1) how do you like cyclobe? (had this one earlier but it slipped... would be interested though; i think their stuff is genius)

2) did either of you guys ever grow a full beard / moustache / any other kind of serious facial hair (PICS PLS!)

3) would you do a collab with scott walker?

4) do your wifes/gfs ever get jealous of your tight bromance?

5) what do you think of oval's new style?

I would like to thank you both so much for sharing this time with us, reading through this thread has been fascinating.

Just before I go, I'd like to take a moment for the slightly more obsessive stuff. There have been some theories over the years about numbers appearing in your album titles. Word has it, each title has some reference to its place in the discog.

I think I've got most of it here, how much of it (if any) is intentional?

Incunabula - 1st album; will be looked back on as an early example of what Ae would become

Amber - second light in a traffic light (?); The track 'Silverside' - silver = 2nd (?)

Tri Repetae - 3rd album ('Tri')

Chiastic Slide - ?

LP5 - 5th album (used to be self-titled, now called LP5)

Confield - The track 'VI Scose Poise' = poising the 6th album? (as well as the viscosity pun)

Draft 7.30 - 7th album (30th draft?)

Untilted - When you tilt the number 8 sideways, you get an infinity sign. But it's not infinite, it's just the 8th album.

Quaristice - 9th album; Someone (?) once suggested that 'Quaristice' meant 'four spaces' and pointed out that a tile of 9 squares would produce these spaces.

Oversteps/Move of Ten - 10th album, related EP

Exai - roman numerals

Guest ZombieLincoln666

that button! lol

what do want random for anyway?

is elektrons beginner? anyone? help me out watmm - ae are on other planets now

no i haven't

Perhaps random is the wrong word. That makes me think of those TOTALLY RANDO AUTECHRE MAX MSP videos you find on YouTube of a max patch farting out some junk. I'm thinking of controlled mutations rather. Jam that button a few times, get some alien squelching, then go in and tweak that beast to my liking. It feels slot like traveling in a light speed rocket in all different directions... You don't know what you're gonna find but that 0.00001% chance you find something interesting it's gonna be awesome and totally unique

u ever played with synplant?

it's well basic but the way it works is good fun, for about 10 minutes

Is it really worth $99??

a few more:

1) how do you like cyclobe? (had this one earlier but it slipped... would be interested though; i think their stuff is genius)

2) did either of you guys ever grow a full beard / moustache / any other kind of serious facial hair (PICS PLS!)

1 not heard

2 almost, i don't have pics tho, and mine grown with bits missing so i dunno if you'd call it full

3 nah

4 nah

5 not heard it

that button! lol

what do want random for anyway?

is elektrons beginner? anyone? help me out watmm - ae are on other planets now

no i haven't

Perhaps random is the wrong word. That makes me think of those TOTALLY RANDO AUTECHRE MAX MSP videos you find on YouTube of a max patch farting out some junk. I'm thinking of controlled mutations rather. Jam that button a few times, get some alien squelching, then go in and tweak that beast to my liking. It feels slot like traveling in a light speed rocket in all different directions... You don't know what you're gonna find but that 0.00001% chance you find something interesting it's gonna be awesome and totally unique

u ever played with synplant?

it's well basic but the way it works is good fun, for about 10 minutes

Is it really worth $99??

can't u just get a demo

i dunno, prob not, i used it for about a day and didn't record anything

but i liked the idea of it

a few more:

ah only just found out what keiselguhr was last nite.

any albums stood out for either you recently?

I totally loved the rashad becker one.

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/763232-rashad-becker-traditional-music-of-notional-species-vol-i

not heard that cheers

i hardly bought any new stuff in 2013 so any reccs are good, keep em comin

Love this but you probably got it [free download]

http://chimerization.documenta.de/

book is interesting too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Florian-Hecker-Chimerizations/dp/0985136421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383776746&sr=8-1&keywords=chimerization

http://boomkat.com/downloads/667266-anthony-child-surgeon-the-space-between-people-and-things

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/789252-concrete-fence-regis-russell-haswell-new-release-1

Edited by 21B

I've found out in this thread you guys have once performed with Fennesz. I'm guessing there are no recordings of it?

What year was that? How did it that you guys performed together, who contacted who?

You said playing with him "went well". Is there a chance you guys might ever do something like that again? Or a collaborated album? Maybe just 1 track even? Fennesz is quite the collaboration beast.

*pushes it to the limit*

yeah i like his stuff a lot, i'd def do another gig with him i think he gets what we're doing

that brings me to another thing:

When doing collaborations/remixes, do you usually approach someone, or do you get approached? Or are there middlemen who do suggestions and lay connections?

is that a real or simulated spring reverb effect at about 4:25 on Ipacial Section?

i like the few tracks you've done that seem to have a lot of spring reverby type effects going on, i've forgotten the tiles now though.

it's real, analogue systems eurorack one

What is the most Autechrean planet?

saturn

ah

jupiter

Jupiter has io, that has to count for something

and europa

altho that's not ours

well let's be frank here. we are all on uranus.

I'm curious too about the Oval question, and it ties into the mysteriously unanswered physical modeling questions as well. Real guitar manipulation or simulated?

no guitars on our stuff, if you're hearing strings it's simulated

unless u mean oval

a few more:

ah only just found out what keiselguhr was last nite.

i can def see rob's girlfriend/wife getting pissed at him for missing their anniversary or something and him just sitting there with a blank look on his face saying "sean pls"

What do you think of Wolfgang Voigt's GAS project?

really like it

tbh i'm a huge fan of his anyway

Awesome, do you have a favorite GAS album?

Also, do you like his recent stuff? (last 3 years or so)

*pushes it to the limit*

When doing collaborations/remixes, do you usually approach someone, or do you get approached? Or are there middlemen who do suggestions and lay connections?

we get approached, it's always cos someone has a release coming up etc

really like it

pop, cos nostalgia

yeah i love SOG, daring, perverse, annoying the minimal techno crowd. full marks

Just how "generative" (not sure this is the right word for this) were some of the tracks on Confield? Tracks like Sim Gishel, Parhelic Triangle and Uviol, for example.

I've read so many rumors and theories about this, that I don't know what to believe at this point. I mean, it sure doesn't sound like you just hit record and then left the computer running for a few minutes, since all the tracks seems to go somewhere. Were you adjusting stuff on the fly or?

hella good album btw

edit: also, last question. I promise. for realz.

Edited by Friendly Foil

Guest Roksen Creek

Hi Sean & Rob,

Paul Morley has an interesting theory that some band names are so great that they shape the music of the act ; that the band live up to their name, their name somehow gives them their sound, their aura. He was, of course, referring to Joy Division - suggesting that after they changed from Warsaw to JD, the name lifted them, they couldn't not live up to it.

Is Autechre one of these names? Certainly it's the most incredible label for your music, but when you found it , did you think it made sense of what you were doing, in some way?

Excuse me if that's bollocks, that's what you get for reading Morley.

nah i like it, he knows the power of words

partly his fault i got into all this shit to begin with

but yeah we had that title for ages (it was a lego feet track) and it just really stood out as a potent word, it was at least a year before we started using it as a name so we kind of knew by then that it was good

Is it true that you chose "au" because there was an au sound in the track, and then you randomly crunched a few keys on the keyboard to get "techre"?

Or is that one of those things on the internets I shouldn't believe?

well yeah, and the atari only held 8 char. so it might've turned out autechredwads or something if not for that.

Lucky break!

It could have been autechrepls

*pushes it to the limit*

not done many,

zoviet france was mutual - we should do this, both agreed i think ben started it, might've been sean tho'

fennesz/roedelius, partly conspired by Pita MEGO

I haven't caught up with today yet...and I asked before, I assume yall didn't answer on purpose but I'll try again.

What's myslb mean/stand for or whatever?

Sent using magic

really like it

favourite gas LP, pop - for PO6 & POP7 quite specifically