IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Æ,

This whole thing is really about getting a piece of you, isn't it? So, I'm going to go for the plunder straight away. My question: would you be at all willing to employ me as a roadie for your next tour? I'm skilled at lugging things around and plugging things in. I'm also of the age where I won't be nattering away the entire tour. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Just how "generative" (not sure this is the right word for this) were some of the tracks on Confield? Tracks like Sim Gishel, Parhelic Triangle and Uviol, for example.

I've read so many rumors and theories about this, that I don't know what to believe at this point. I mean, it sure doesn't sound like you just hit record and then left the computer running for a few minutes, since all the tracks seems to go somewhere. Were you adjusting stuff on the fly or?

hella good album btw

edit: also, last question. I promise. for realz.

parhelic triangle wasn't algo at all

sim gishel was slightly

uviol was a lot

but none of it's in the way you prob think of 'algorithmic' with loads of randomness. it was all planned out, with bits of it being executed after intervals etc

like a track but codified

that's the thing when u say algorithmic people think you mean unplanned and sprawling. doesn't mean that at all in our case, just means procedural

What do you think of Wolfgang Voigt's GAS project?

really like it

tbh i'm a huge fan of his anyway

Awesome, do you have a favorite GAS album?

Also, do you like his recent stuff? (last 3 years or so)

favourite gas LP, pop - for PO6 & POP7 quite specifically

Mine too. I figured this would be your answer, I think the level of sample manipulating ability he reached on POP is the only thing I've heard that compares to ae's finest moments.

I think I've been to all your Glasgow gigs. My absolute favourite was in ... Tin Pan Alley I think, the tour around the time of Tri Repetae. Man that was good -- proper pummelling. Anyways, I don't expect you guys to remember that particular gig, but it leads on to my question ... do you have a favourite venue or city to play in, and do you have a stand out gig that's been your most enjoyable to date?

Just how "generative" (not sure this is the right word for this) were some of the tracks on Confield? Tracks like Sim Gishel, Parhelic Triangle and Uviol, for example.

I've read so many rumors and theories about this, that I don't know what to believe at this point. I mean, it sure doesn't sound like you just hit record and then left the computer running for a few minutes, since all the tracks seems to go somewhere. Were you adjusting stuff on the fly or?

hella good album btw

10% give or take

u mean a button that moves all parameters a bit more. 1-100. yeah ok that is diff a bit, but what if your really close to something quite good, and u press that, u may never find what u were after - and be further from it than b4. we call that 'pot' luck

Yeah exactly. It's risky. Like u said, I could be on to something. Usually if I can feel something sounds decent I'll begin the manual tweaking and cleaning.

Synplant looks like a quirky thing. I could mimic that using a more complex patch with hundreds more values and randomize everything in 1% increments.

I use this method mostly when I have a blank slate and am feeling lazy. It can be tough jumping into things cold when there's no idea of what sounds I want to get into. That being said, I am gearless thus subject to the electronic abyss. Shit can be scary. The elektron looks like fun id like to get my hands on one

do you recall Iera being used on an adult swim commercial for the Tim and Eric show, or a Steve Brule spinoff? It felt like an odd match because the tune is pretty wicked, and the commercial is for some *sick* comedy.. they use a lot of Flying Lotus on the channel. Does Warp consult with you guys to use a track, as in that case?

hella good album btw

parhelic triangle wasn't algo at all

sim gishel was slightly

uviol was a lot

but none of it's in the way you prob think of 'algorithmic' with loads of randomness. it was all planned out, with bits of it being executed after intervals etc

like a track but codified

that's the thing when u say algorithmic people think you mean unplanned and sprawling. doesn't mean that at all in our case, just means procedural

cool. Thanks for clearing that up. (edit: both of you) Edited by Friendly Foil

I haven't caught up with today yet...and I asked before, I assume yall didn't answer on purpose but I'll try again.

What's myslb mean/stand for or whatever?

Sent using magic

there's actually a clue out there and i'm waiting to see if anyone notices

cant think of a smarter question, but pretty curious about that one : there is a 30min recording of Gescom, live in manchester in 2002.

are you involved in that ?

u got a link?

just to be clear, theres a few geswackers

Did you really smash buttons into your keyboard randomly and come up with the name "Autechre"

mbe not random, but i had no idea after AU' of the outcome.

do you recall Iera being used on an adult swim commercial for the Tim and Eric show, or a Steve Brule spinoff? It felt like an odd match because the tune is pretty wicked, and the commercial is for some *sick* comedy.. they use a lot of Flying Lotus on the channel. Does Warp consult with you guys to use a track, as in that case?

they probably paid for a blanket license, which means they can use stuff when they want within some stipulated limits and everyone gets a cut depending on something like market share

I've found out in this thread you guys have once performed with Fennesz. I'm guessing there are no recordings of it?

Also found this: http://autechre.net.ua/en/articles/article11.htm

What year was that? How did it that you guys performed together, who contacted who?

You said playing with him "went well". Is there a chance you guys might ever do something like that again? Or a collaborated album? Maybe just 1 track even? Fennesz is quite the collaboration beast.

*pushes it to the limit*

yeah i like his stuff a lot, i'd def do another gig with him i think he gets what we're doing

that brings me to another thing:

When doing collaborations/remixes, do you usually approach someone, or do you get approached? Or are there middlemen who do suggestions and lay connections?

we get approached, it's always cos someone has a release coming up etc

And still no Depeche Mode, right? Do you think they know about you? I mean, they do electronic music and are dirtier with production than before.

u mean a button that moves all parameters a bit more. 1-100. yeah ok that is diff a bit, but what if your really close to something quite good, and u press that, u may never find what u were after - and be further from it than b4. we call that 'pot' luck

Yeah exactly. It's risky. Like u said, I could be on to something. Usually if I can feel something sounds decent I'll begin the manual tweaking and cleaning.

Synplant looks like a quirky thing. I could mimic that using a more complex patch with hundreds more values and randomize everything in 1% increments.

I use this method mostly when I have a blank slate and am feeling lazy. It can be tough jumping into things cold when there's no idea of what sounds I want to get into. That being said, I am gearless thus subject to the electronic abyss. Shit can be scary. The elektron looks like fun id like to get my hands on one

more like u should have 2x reaktors , then make the one u like less, become more like the one u like, i guess thats what synplants more about.

Edited by Rob Ae

Either of you have any interest in Supercollider anymore, or does Smalltalk code do you head it too much?

I love Max to death, but often feel deflated when some algorithmic process takes an extraordinary amount of patching in Max, but is only several lines of code in Supercollider.

Guest lumakey

I repost my question about vocal samples from deco Loc (soz) and opinions about bocs harvest

i like TH and i'm waiting to see who figures out the samples

are the samples from something fairly well-known?

Linda Thompson is a good starting point

I repost my question about vocal samples from deco Loc (soz) and opinions about bocs harvest

i like TH and i'm waiting to see who figures out the samples

Well, psn already suggested Personal Jesus and made some "proof" mix for it.

If y'all had some actor play you in a movie, who would you pick?

Also who would direct it?

Hell, who would write it?

argh i have no idea

sounds like the kind of thing watmm should decide

i mean that's always how it works irl isn't it, some actor gets picked and the actual person groans when they read the news story telling them

ken loach did a decent job of raining stones tho, that was set in my home town

actually you could just throw that into premiere and do some head swaps