IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

1) if you were touring through the u.s. and were asked to appear on a show like conan o’brien or jimmy fallon, would you do it?

2) do you have a recording of this show and/or any memories of what this show was like?

3) warp’s 25th anniversary is next year. know if you’ll participate in any special events, like contribute to a warp25 box set or perform at an event? know if they have big plans?

4) on Osla for n at 3:57 onwards, I keep thinking of 61E.CR, like how it (osla for n) has a similar beat but slowed down somewhat and also similar sounds. would you agree there are some similarities there? loving l-event btw

5) an oversteps soundboard would be amazing to hear (and download for pay) one day

thanks for everything

Edited by korona15

Leafs posted that it is the opening track on Flieg', Vogel, Fliege, which makes sense as that album is supposed to be one of his "selfportrait" albums...

Ace, you're right - When I googled 'Hans-Joachim Roedelius; Über berg und tal' it point to this which credits the track:

u sure, i can't play this for some reason, but my copy sounds nothing like the track in the OP

Hey guys,

how do you feel when I tell you that you're my favorite artists and I don't have a clue how you make your tracks and that I don't even want to know how !

(not that i'm not curious, I just feel it's beyond me and i just like it that way.)

Do you think it's important to know how something is made to enjoy it ?

its not important, i'm glad u asked.

Thank you !

any favourite Dockstader's pieces ?

water music, telemetry tapes, luna park

If you curated another festival (like ATP), who would you want to play next time round?

oh a long list

i can't rush it into a post unfortunately it would take like a week to compile

1) if you were touring through the u.s. and were asked to appear on a show like conan o’brien or jimmy fallon, would you do it?

2) do you have a recording of this show and/or any memories of what this show was like?

3) warp’s 25th anniversary is next year. know if you’ll participate in any special events, like contribute to a warp25 box set or perform at an event? know if they have big plans?

4) on Osla for n at 3:57 onwards, I keep thinking of 61E.CR, like how it (osla for n) has a similar beat but slowed down somewhat and also similar sounds. would you agree there are some similarities there? loving l-event btw

5) an oversteps soundboard would be amazing to hear (and download for pay) one day

thanks for everything

1 no it would be hideous

2 i remember panasonics' bass caused our monitor to fall off the cabs and do some damage. pretty good night, rare BOC show esp.

3 didn't know it was 25yrs blimey

4 hadn't noticed that - could it just be the swing?

5 ok noted

: )

Repost

Hi guys

What were the last presents you bought each other for Christmas/bday?

usually books, really tasty books. i'll be getting him chocolates this season though, don't say anything

Mailman-kicks-glass-door.gif

what sample rate do you use, when synthesizing and mixing?
you were mentioning renoise native reverb in 2008, in article ('easy to be hard' @ remixmag) about gear used in Quaristice, saying that it sounds very 'grey'. do you remember which one of two (Reverb or mpReverb) and in which track off Quaristice? can you give some hints on this?
what do you think about mr. oizo's post-'moustache' output? did you saw his recent films?
thank you!

One or both of you asked for music recommendations...I'll mention a few you may not have heard that that might be interesting to you.

C-Clamp, anything off the album Longer Waves, such as Meridian.

Miocene, check out their A Perfect Life with a View of the Swamp album.

Genghis Tron, their album Board Up the House is ace, I really think yall would enjoy it.

Have y'all listened to any Death Grips? Lil Wayne? DJ Screw?

There's a bandcamp artist called WWC that I've been coming back to A lot lately, and a fella called QBLA on bandcamp as well, our own watmmer Friendly Foil stop that label if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers, hope y'all find something to your tastes.

Sent using magic

ok thanks for this, obv i'll need to backtrack here later….. ta

Guest skyking

From Discogs comment section:

f5a2ac7ade62846fc5d78785748a121e.png

Is it true or all involved conspirators worked together on each track?

Oh, and speaking of Bola and Discogs, have you ever heard this one: http://www.discogs.com/Friends-Of-Kane-Rejuvenator/release/1825714 ? If yes, what does it sound like? Tears for fears-tier cheese?

Also, does it piss you off when out of print vinyl/cd are sold for insane mounts of money online? Like tenfold of their original cost.

Mucho arigatou to you Sean, Rob!

you were mentioning renoise native reverb in 2008, in article ('easy to be hard' @ remixmag) about gear used in Quaristice, saying that it sounds very 'grey'. do you remember which one of two (Reverb or mpReverb) and in which track off Quaristice? can you give some hints on this?
what do you think about mr. oizo's post-'moustache' output? did you saw his recent films?
thank you!

mixing sample rate@ 44.1, i did some old tapes to dig@ 88.2, but i doubt there was much point.

not seen his films but i rate the guys tunes

thanks for everything

1) i dunno it depends on whether they could satisfy our backline requirements

2) yeah i remember panasonic had this really loud bass in one track and it made one of the speaker cabs fall onto our mixer, fucked up some of the channels before we played, and then they were laughing about it. it was a bit weakening really, i hadn't thought of them as cunts before that, w/e.

cylob and boards were good tho. no recording sorry

3) no clue yet

4) hmm never thought about it but i guess there's a similar greyness to some of the sounds

5) right yeah, we should go thru that folder really. as u can imagine it's a bit long

Oh, and speaking of Bola and Discogs, have you ever heard this one: http://www.discogs.com/Friends-Of-Kane-Rejuvenator/release/1825714 ? If yes, what does it sound like? Tears for fears-tier cheese?

Also, does it piss you off when out of print vinyl/cd are sold for insane mounts of money online? Like tenfold of their original cost.

each track was a contribution from different ppl, none of the trax were solely me with sean.

edit oh forgot the other q's

friends of kane played me demo's didn't really hear any full finished. its UK soul.

no it doesn't, but would be nice to have more records to spread around

Edited by Rob Ae

hey tears for fears were alright man

shout is well heavy

does the free market piss me off? i mean, no, i paid top dollar for some of my records, and i can get top dollar back for them later (usually more)

them two track names in that discogs post were both collabs with diff people (lol one of them is even named on the record and the title, come on it's not that hard)

the other one u can prob figure out by elimination

edit: autocarrot

Edited by Sean Ae

asked before:

what's the best lulz you've had when playing out live that was a result from your own actions?

in the studio (besides scrolling thru bull wallet versions)?

Guest skyking

shout is well heavy

No-no, wasn't dissing them. Love em'.

Soz if that sounded kinda cuntish. :blush:

Ok I've got one.

Been listening to l-event loads recently. 'Osla for n' for example went through a familiar autechre-style evolution for me - the first couple of listens were really jarring, but after a while it opened up and the sounds and rhythms started to connect. By now listening to it seems to actually put shapes and textures in my brain (best way i can describe it). I don't know any other music that has quite this effect on me. Anyway, it's a massive track.

Thing is, almost everyone I know finds this sort of listening experience is not for them. Some people seem to have an almost visceral distaste for it, and i've had people get almost angry, or genuinely worry about my mental health, when i play them an autechre track. A lot of the stuff that makes it awesome also makes it very difficult for a lot of people.

As the guys who actually make this music, do you get this reaction a lot? Having a discography like yours must be enough to give you a fair bit of self-belief, but does it ever get to you when people react like this?

The track "T ess xi" is probably the most melodically complex on Exai. I'm curious whether it was composed in a similar algorithmic way to Oversteps material as an extension of your live set around that time. Was it jammed out on keyboard or sequenced straight to the grid?

The chord progression in the first section almost has a jazz feel. Any particular influences on that track that you can remember?

question for Rob - a mate I met at recording school gave you a demotape of his before one of your shows in 1998, somewhere in New England, I think. I'm curious whether you've got any memory of him, or the tape? He was making tracks as both ESP and Spool at that time.

we've still got all the tapes, but there a lot. as for my memory 15 years was a bit back. really sorry.

but tell him i'll take a look for it - just to see

Edited by Rob Ae

Ok, Rob and Sean. Thank you for your answers. Found a lot of insights from you itt. And was really glad to see you here bearhug.gif

thank you!

mixing sample rate@ 44.1, i did some old tapes to dig@ 88.2, but i doubt there was much point.

not seen his films but i rate the guys tunes

Edited by telefunken

Hey guys,

how do you feel when I tell you that you're my favorite artists and I don't have a clue how you make your tracks and that I don't even want to know how !

(not that i'm not curious, I just feel it's beyond me and i just like it that way.)

Do you think it's important to know how something is made to enjoy it ?

nah it's not important at all unless you're making stuff yourself and then you might wonder about things

but like, i was into music really heavily for years before i know how any gear worked and i still like the same tracks from back then, even knowing loads of things about how they were made, if anything it makes me like them more cos now i know how delicate the balance is and how much taste went into them

shout is well heavy

No-no, wasn't dissing them. Love em'.

Soz if that sounded kinda cuntish. :blush:

i love them as well, i think fennesz sampled them for endless summer at some point