IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Leafs posted that it is the opening track on Flieg', Vogel, Fliege, which makes sense as that album is supposed to be one of his "selfportrait" albums...

Ace, you're right - When I googled 'Hans-Joachim Roedelius; Über berg und tal' it point to this which credits the track:

u sure, i can't play this for some reason, but my copy sounds nothing like the track in the OP

cool u found it - its incredible - theres also a track on the album 'auf leisen sohlen' by the same name, lol patchy bastard.

i have two versions of selbstportrait with the same listing and different tracks as well

1) Aphex likes to say (or bullshit?) there's stuff out there that nobody would ever find out it's done by him.

Did you guys ever do that, sneakily doing tracks or productions behind everyone's back, very hush hush, mum's the word, that nobody will ever find out?

(aphex was bullshitting, right?)

2) You guys seems to listen to a lot of music. Roughly speaking, how many hours of music do you guys listen to daily/weekly?

3) You both seem to share the same taste in music, but is that always the case? Are there any genres/bands/musicians that one really likes, but the other really hates? (kind of like how Beavis loves Metallica, but Butt-head hates them and calls Beavis a dork)

hypothetical example:

sean: *loudly sings with the chorus to Biz Markie's Just A Friend*

rob: sean pls

3 hahha yeah, i think so kinda, for example i'd be tuned into stu allan's souled out for 4 hrs : hiphop 1 hour then soul 2 hours, then house/acid last 1 hour. sean would switch off for 2 hours in the middle, then take the piss the next day about all the wet perms all the singers had

how about next tour, you guys consider just a little light near your consoles, and you can both wear wet perm wigs.

no - i can't - they're collections of tracks to me - inside a long 'track as a whole' piece - id like to try to finger print each album, but its hard.

That's understandable. No worries.

thanks for understanding, each album has something that its tracks share amongst them. and each album is periods in a time line, so theres tangible difference to how we made them , what with , where, and what we were into, but a word like - crystalline for draft7.30 would be too easy to come up with, but to be far too misleading as a whole.

Can you identify this track please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voZU5CwHD9Y

no ID on that, not sure, is it in a gescom mix? - or u asking if its gescom track, cos its not.

According to video info "this was played on there Electronica / Ambient Kiss FM show Manchester in 1995" but the guy isn't sure is it Ae or Gescom and for me it doesn't really matter, was curious if you know something about it, cuz i want it so badly!!

Sean pls, maybe you know something :shuriken:

no idea what this is

one of the other gescom people prob played it but it's almost def not a gescom track

you done a marathon of answers, thanks a lot.

do you think you'll do another music video? the fermium video was lol btw. can you say a little about why the video ended up that way? it felt like it was the most random thing ever

I noticed a lot of Exai's titles ("jatevee C" = JTVC (Jet Controlled Thrust Vector), "T ess xi" = TS11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL_TS-11_Iskra)) seem to have something to do with flight/jets...

Were you often thinking of planes when writing it, or were these findings just fumbling speculation and complete coincidence?

thats coincidence, there are often title abbrevs and caps in cool places, but ur not quite on. and no planes this time.

Guest aht romain

Thanks for your answer about recury.

I finally dare to ask you some words about one track of mine:

Just because it may be my only opportunity in my life :)

What are your opinions on the use of fractal formulas for generating beats or melodies?

Any particular favorite types for particular applications? (i.e. L-Systems for melodies... Mandelbeats...etc)

Leafs posted that it is the opening track on Flieg', Vogel, Fliege, which makes sense as that album is supposed to be one of his "selfportrait" albums...

Ace, you're right - When I googled 'Hans-Joachim Roedelius; Über berg und tal' it point to this which credits the track:

u sure, i can't play this for some reason, but my copy sounds nothing like the track in the OP

cool u found it - its incredible - theres also a track on the album 'auf leisen sohlen' by the same name, lol patchy bastard.

i have two versions of selbstportrait with the same listing and different tracks as well

i thought Germans were noted for being thorough? ah, he's austrian.

Edited by Rob Ae

Guest thisfieldisrequired

did you hear this track, Sophie - Bipp ?

[youtubehd]MVc3Z-bG6Eo[/youtubehd]

no - is it spam?

no no it's just a track i really enjoy. i don't know the artist at all. it's a weird pop tune that you might like, it's quite original sounding.

2) yeah i remember panasonic had this really loud bass in one track and it made one of the speaker cabs fall onto our mixer, fucked up some of the channels before we played, and then they were laughing about it. it was a bit weakening really, i hadn't thought of them as cunts before that, w/e.

cylob and boards were good tho. no recording sorry

hah interesting story. was just listening to some pan sonic, they're ok i guess. but I'd hate it if someone accidentally damaged my gear and not give a shit

yeah I can't help but ask about early boc material. there's only 3 recordings of their shows (warp 10th anniv, warp lighthouse party, atp 2001). know of any other recordings floating out there?

Do you feel that your emotions are directly related to the type of track you compose, or are they possibly inversely related? For instance, if you are happy do you make a happy track. Is there a certain pattern you have recognized relating to your emotional state and the overall mood of your composition that I may not have considered in my question?

Do you find that you have a sort of default nature when it comes to recording in that you naturally create a certain style of music? Do you have to make a conscious effort to vary your tracks and keep things fresh?

Would you say writing your music is like casting a spell or summoning a demon?

What is your worst bad habit when it comes to being an artist?

Do you have any self-imposed rules when it comes to creating music that you might share? For example, do you refuse to use stock drum samples, because it doesn't "feel right"?

Training vs Discovery?

Has this experience changed your opinion of WATMM.com in any way? + or - ?

Thanks again guys.

yeah possibly inversely, it's hard to tell really cos i just do whatever feels good on the day, but in my experience the correlation is more direct than inverse. it's rare that if i'm feeling tired and emotional that i'd make a jaunty happy tune. but sometimes i do, so

not really, we're attracted to novelty the same way most people are, but maybe personal perception and weird attention to detail means that we can find it in unlikely places sometimes

what's a demon?

assuming things about other people

nah i use whatever feels right, sometimes that's a stock drum sound

discovery - it's a bit like, if i see someone else make a discovery, then i'm usually interested in whatever they discovered, but if i see someone who's well trained, i'm not so interested. i mean, cool, you can pole vault or whatever

still neutral

did you hear this track, Sophie - Bipp ?

[youtubehd]MVc3Z-bG6Eo[/youtubehd]

no - is it spam?

no no it's just a track i really enjoy. i don't know the artist at all. it's a weird pop tune that you might like, it's quite original sounding.

yeah i bought this

it's fuckin great

Guest vanillarama

Hi guys,

I haven’t been listening to Autechre for decades, or even very long, really. I do look forward to experiencing more of your music in the future and learning more of your back catalogue, but I do feel in the short time that I’ve gotten to know Autechre, I’ve received so much from listening to both your music and your webcasts. That said, all I’ve wanted to do since getting to know your music is to give something back- and that thing would be sandwiches.

I’ve discussed this with many of my friends, and there have been many theories put into place. If I were to make you guys sandwiches, what kind would you like? Are there dietary restrictions and/or allergies for me to consider? I’d be willing to make each of you an entirely different sandwich, but I’ve often thought that avocado would be something both of you might be into.

I’ve wanted to ask about this for some time. Thank you for giving me this outlet, and more importantly, thanks for the music.

sorry I am the king of multiple question posts LOL: (sorry I am in incredibly good mood today)
1.many tracks sound hiphop to me (examples: recks on, eutow, cipater etc. etc.) intentional? ever thought a bout (obv in a autechre way) a straightfoward hiphop album?
2.I think Second Peng is quite dubby...agree?
3.do you ever do meet and greets?
4. I some time ago already mentioned the Autechre Track Titles Wiki can you just give us a link which page has the most and which one has the least correct facts?
5.will this track (

) will ever be released as a studio album on an EP or so? also..why no eps for Untilted?

I really like your remix of Medium - Celsius for 7 Hills Clash Rebuilt (Forgemasters track is great too)

Anything you can tell us about that mix, or the artist?

regarding karaoke, what's your weapon of choice ?

if wigs are available it would have to be fools gold really

i watched made of stone last night. have you seen it and what are your thoughts if so?

brown is autotuned to fuck in the rehearsal bits and the H Park is overdubbed beyond recognition! still a good watch for an old fan but cringey!

maybe obvious but did you (like me) find 808 state through the manchester thing? joy division, mondays, martin hammet, etc.

edit also, you dig andy stott?

Edited by keltoi

Hi guys,

I haven’t been listening to Autechre for decades, or even very long, really. I do look forward to experiencing more of your music in the future and learning more of your back catalogue, but I do feel in the short time that I’ve gotten to know Autechre, I’ve received so much from listening to both your music and your webcasts. That said, all I’ve wanted to do since getting to know your music is to give something back- and that thing would be sandwiches.

I’ve discussed this with many of my friends, and there have been many theories put into place. If I were to make you guys sandwiches, what kind would you like? Are there dietary restrictions and/or allergies for me to consider? I’d be willing to make each of you an entirely different sandwich, but I’ve often thought that avocado would be something both of you might be into.

I’ve wanted to ask about this for some time. Thank you for giving me this outlet, and more importantly, thanks for the music.

yeah i like avocado, esp with a bit of soy sauce, sesame seeds, and some foil cooked salmon

so, something like that? i'll let you figure out if it needs anything else. you seem experienced at sandwiches