IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

regarding karaoke, what's your weapon of choice ?

if wigs are available it would have to be fools gold really

i watched made of stone last night. have you seen it and what are your thoughts if so?

brown is autotuned to fuck in the rehearsal bits and the H Park is overdubbed beyond recognition! still a good watch for an old fan but cringey as fuck!

maybe obvious but did you (like me) find 808 state through the manchester thing? joy division, mondays, martin hammet, etc.

not seen it

i'm not a stone roses fan really but i do like fools gold cos of how they flipped that break

edit: sorry i missed the last bit

nah first time i heard 808 state was when stu allan played flow coma, we were into dance music for years before that

that madchester thing fucked a lot of things up tbh cos according to rock historians dance music started in manchester with the haccy, but it's not true at all, there was a huge black music scene round here in the early 80s, my secondary school got so sick of us breakdancing in the toilets they decided to open up the assembly hall for it every lunchtime

Edited by Sean Ae

Leafs posted that it is the opening track on Flieg', Vogel, Fliege, which makes sense as that album is supposed to be one of his "selfportrait" albums...

Ace, you're right - When I googled 'Hans-Joachim Roedelius; Über berg und tal' it point to this which credits the track:

u sure, i can't play this for some reason, but my copy sounds nothing like the track in the OP

cool u found it - its incredible - theres also a track on the album 'auf leisen sohlen' by the same name, lol patchy bastard.

i have two versions of selbstportrait with the same listing and different tracks as well

i thought Germans were noted for being thorough? ah, he's austrian.

I was just gonna say, this seems like something Wolfgang Voigt would do...reminds me of the CD and LP differences of Konigsforst.

I have been meaning to pick up all the Selbstportrait records for a while now...actually, funnily enough, I think it was that mystery track that sparked my interest in Roedelius. When I sent Leafs that track years ago, he speculated that it could have been Roedelius, but the guy has done so much stuff it seemed like we'd never find it. Then he told me a bit later about the Selbstportrait stuff and how I'd love it, and here I am again now.

Going to buy all this stuff at once when I get some cash again, if I can afford it.

Anyway, speaking of Voigt, are you guys into him? He's one of the few other musicians out there who, in my opinion, are just so consumed in their own musical universe to really be compared to anyone else, much like AE. I recently scored a copy of his super-rare Ruckverzauberung 4 album, directly from him too, and it's been blowing my mind lately...

Guest Roksen Creek

no - i can't - they're collections of tracks to me - inside a long 'track as a whole' piece - id like to try to finger print each album, but its hard.

That's understandable. No worries.

thanks for understanding, each album has something that its tracks share amongst them. and each album is periods in a time line, so theres tangible difference to how we made them , what with , where, and what we were into, but a word like - crystalline for draft7.30 would be too easy to come up with, but to be far too misleading as a whole.

Totally, and I completely agree with what you say about the timeline and the tangible differences. I guess I was just curious as to what words you would come up with :)

That's actually something I love about your works is that each album has some sort of distinct personality, atmosphere. But within that album each track has it's own thing going on and they all add up together to make the larger theme.

Kind of like different environments on a planet, or different districts in a city.

Anyway, it's brilliant stuff, and highly appreciated.

Leafs posted that it is the opening track on Flieg', Vogel, Fliege, which makes sense as that album is supposed to be one of his "selfportrait" albums...

Ace, you're right - When I googled 'Hans-Joachim Roedelius; Über berg und tal' it point to this which credits the track:

u sure, i can't play this for some reason, but my copy sounds nothing like the track in the OP

cool u found it - its incredible - theres also a track on the album 'auf leisen sohlen' by the same name, lol patchy bastard.

i have two versions of selbstportrait with the same listing and different tracks as well

I was just gonna say, this seems like something Wolfgang Voigt would do...reminds me of the CD and LP differences of Konigsforst.

I have been meaning to pick up all the Selbstportrait records for a while now...actually, funnily enough, I think it was that mystery track that sparked my interest in Roedelius. When I sent Leafs that track years ago, he speculated that it could have been Roedelius, but the guy has done so much stuff it seemed like we'd never find it. Then he told me a bit later about the Selbstportrait stuff and how I'd love it, and here I am again now.

Going to buy all this stuff at once when I get some cash again, if I can afford it.

Anyway, speaking of Voigt, are you guys into him? He's one of the few other musicians out there who, in my opinion, are just so consumed in their own musical universe to really be compared to anyone else, much like AE. I recently scored a copy of his super-rare Ruckverzauberung 4 album, directly from him too, and it's been blowing my mind lately...

yeah i love his stuff, he's got mad talent imo

After posting that I realized you remixed Mike Ink back in the day, so DERP!

Though I guess that was a long time ago now, and lord knows a couple years of time passing for Wolfgang is like a couple universes for the rest of us. So it's cool to know you still like him now!

One of the other artists I think falls into that category is Pub - do you guys know his stuff at all? He's been self-releasing most of his work via Ampoule Records in Scotland for years, and he really doesn't sound like anyone else out there. Somehow completely organic and alive, yet electronic all the same:

[youtubehd]B_YqFK9f4jM[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]v2mW35D_tfw[/youtubehd]

i watched made of stone last night. have you seen it and what are your thoughts if so?

brown is autotuned to fuck in the rehearsal bits and the H Park is overdubbed beyond recognition! still a good watch for an old fan but cringey as fuck!

maybe obvious but did you (like me) find 808 state through the manchester thing? joy division, mondays, martin hammet, etc.

not seen it

i'm not a stone roses fan really but i do like fools gold cos of how they flipped that break

nah first time i heard 808 state was when stu allan played flow coma, we were into dance music for years before that

that madchester thing fucked a lot of things up tbh cos according to rock historians dance music started in manchester with the haccy, but it's not true at all, there was a huge black music scene round here in the early 80s, my secondary school got so sick of us breakdancing in the toilets they decided to open up the assembly hall for it every lunchtime

cheers...

sorry, i had added another sneaky edit...

you dig andy stott at all? he seems to almost be at the opposite spectrum to what you do in terms of sound iykwim.

sorry I am the king of multiple question posts LOL: (sorry I am in incredibly good mood today)

1.many tracks sound hiphop to me (examples: recks on, eutow, cipater etc. etc.) intentional? ever thought a bout (obv in a autechre way) a straightfoward hiphop album?

2.I think Second Peng is quite dubby...agree?

3.do you ever do meet and greets?

4. I some time ago already mentioned the Autechre Track Titles Wiki can you just give us a link which page has the most and which one has the least correct facts?

5.will this track (

) will ever be released as a studio album on an EP or so? also..why no eps for Untilted?

1. yeah course it's intentional :D tbh we usually think of what we do as a branch/offshoot of hip hop. we could in theory, but i dunno how straightforward it would be, being us

2. yeah that's fair

3. not for the sake of it

4. they all have a mixture, i dunno if i cba reading it all just to post that soz

5. no that was a live jam done at graham's toolshed night at band on the wall, no recording exists afaik. re:untitled i was moving house and things were a bit hectic

Though I guess that was a long time ago now, and lord knows a couple years of time passing for Wolfgang is like a couple universes for the rest of us. So it's cool to know you still like him now!

One of the other artists I think falls into that category is Pub - do you guys know his stuff at all? He's been self-releasing most of his work via Ampoule Records in Scotland for years, and he really doesn't sound like anyone else out there. Somehow completely organic and alive, yet electronic all the same:

not heard this guy b4, sounds p good, i'll get onto it cheers

nice metallic delays in the first one

not seen it

cheers...

you dig andy stott at all? he seems to almost be at the opposite spectrum to what you do in terms of sound iykwim.

some of it's alright but it sounds a bit easy to me

yeah track 2 @ 0'30'' that step filter , reminds me of basic channel, tbh despite the many ppl on the electronic dub thing, i thing there's always more room for ppl, its a delicate style, so even the most subtle of personalities can render a greater difference.

I'm going to see ryoji ikeda this saturday. Are you guys into his stuff?

i really like 1000 fragments, less into his annoying high pitched tone stuff

tbh i think a lot of his stuff (conceptually) had already been handled better by the hafler trio

yeah track 2 @ 0'30'' that step filter , reminds me of basic channel, tbh despite the many ppl on the electronic dub thing, i thing there's always more room for ppl, its a delicate style, so even the most subtle of personalities can render a greater difference.

yeah fully

i did grab ruckverrzauberung4 for cheap when it went out, great album yeah. Voigt is hard to follow with all of his releases but fascinating musician (mixing old german instruments/sounds in a techno context & his "loops" skills). i have not listened to that Stone Roses tune for age, but yeah its a top one.

Speaking about manchester & electro during the 80s interesting story coz its kinda "history" in indie rock circles now, there are actual movies about it.

You're credited in the Prebuild LP, were that you who convinced 808 state to put out those old tracks ?

not seen it

cheers...

some of it's alright but it sounds a bit easy to me

ha i bet everything sounds easy when you're autechre.

Guest KunoMerit

first thanks for doing this and esp. thanks for answering all the very specific questions about tracks, titles, methods, gear, etc. - it is good to have these answered as they are not things that a normal journalist interviewer would ever ask. without this question-and-answer session i'm sure many things would never be answered. i'm sure i hear an autechre track daily and have little questions that stay with me for years.

questions:

it's 1986 - pause button breaks, what do you jam in there to continue making mixes? i found a screw-driver to work the best. the little plastic pause button hinges always broke.

mpc1000 - what role does it play live? samples only or sequencing too? are most of those nice kicks from the nord or samples?

you seem to run the nords, etc. dry live or is there compression going on other than house sound system protection compression? i never really got the need for compression on electronic instruments other than dancy-effects compression. you seem to master most of it with the programming. or is there something i'm not seeing?

would you say you are "into" synthesizers? like do you keep bits of gear around that aren't part of the current recording/jamming studio? or is it strictly using what is needed and not getting bothered with gear obsessions.

Edited by KunoMerit

Krib is my fav song by ae. Compared to your output these days, it's a very simple song. What song is your most complex? What song took the longest to produce?

i dunno i mean that word complex has a lot of diff meanings and contexts

longest to produce - i dunno that either, i don't keep track properly at all

pretty nice.

Guest MastaN8

Before you guys leave, I just wanted to say thank you and I'll see you from the dance floor next time you're in Seattle.

Cheers!

i did grab ruckverrzauberung4 for cheap when it went out, great album yeah. Voigt is hard to follow with all of his releases but fascinating musician (mixing old german instruments/sounds in a techno context & his "loops" skills). i have not listened to that Stone Roses tune for age, but yeah its a top one.

Speaking about manchester & electro during the 80s interesting story coz its kinda "history" in indie rock circles now, there are actual movies about it.

You're credited in the Prebuild LP, were that you who convinced 808 state to put out those old tracks ?

yeah i was bugging graham to see if there was anything unreleased and i ended up with a cd of tracks, and then like 3 days later i was getting emails off richard about it

sorry I am the king of multiple question posts LOL: (sorry I am in incredibly good mood today)

1.many tracks sound hiphop to me (examples: recks on, eutow, cipater etc. etc.) intentional? ever thought a bout (obv in a autechre way) a straightfoward hiphop album?

4. I some time ago already mentioned the Autechre Track Titles Wiki can you just give us a link which page has the most and which one has the least correct facts?

5.will this track (

) will ever be released as a studio album on an EP or so? also..why no eps for Untilted?

wasn't this at the music box in manchester. it was released in japan only, as a bonus track for confield.

Edited by Rob Ae

5.will this track (

wasn't this at the music box in manchester. it was released in japan only, as a bonus track for confield.

lel i saw that

Before you guys leave, I just wanted to say thank you and I'll see you from the dance floor next time you're in Seattle.

Cheers!

ok - give us a shout next time. : )

5.will this track (

nah it was at toolshed

Were there any equivalents in your opinion of you and RDJ (In my opinion, haha) in before you started releasing stuff? I mean in terms of dedication, taste, experimentation, etc. All those things that make you and him unique.