IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Does knowing the size and shape of the venue where you perform influence the choice of sounds you will play?

Describe in words what it will sound like if you were allowed to give a concert in the Large Hadron Collider

l11_00000001.jpg

(probably shit acoustics, but hey it's the thought that counts right?)

fuckin flashy

yeah it helps sometimes, but u never really know till u get there. like we got to holland once we played in a circular huge metal roofed gas tank, and the delay was epic, it forced us to change the tempo so we could actually hear any of it

Guest Captain Kittens

Does knowing the size and shape of the venue where you perform influence the choice of sounds you will play?

Describe in words what it will sound like if you were allowed to give a concert in the Large Hadron Collider

l11_00000001.jpg

(probably shit acoustics, but hey it's the thought that counts right?)

fuckin flashy

Great gallery and guide to the LHC http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/19/4440730/large-hadron-collider-photo-essay

Hello ae,

dayum, halfway through a fortnight off work and all I've done is keep up with this thread. I was in chatmm when Sean wandered in on Saturday and have been chained to watmm ever since.

Just to say, thank you for the sounds. Draft 7.30 was my first ae LP and still holds a very special place in your discography (I have it all).

I've made some good notes for stuff to check out from you guys so here are my recommendations to you:

Cake & Polka Parade

http://wfmu.org/playlists/FJ

Hooting Yard

http://podcasts.resonancefm.com/archives/category/shows/hooting

Very thanks for this!

have you ever figured out exactly how inverse envelopes work? or the non-adsr envs on juno 1/2 etc?

for whatever reason i never take the time to look this up. i think i would be a better person if i did. for years i've just moved the sliders and hoped it did what i wanted.

same here yeah

Hey Autechre, I posted a pretty long one earlier, wouldn’t blame you if you skipped the whole thing so I’ll make it more succinct (feel a bit cheeky doing this as a new member) :

Would you guys consider coming back to Belfast and/or Dublin? (I know it’s not Russia or the southern states but the closer the better!). I saw you here (Belfast) back on the Untilted tour, can’t remember much of it tho but saw you again in London for the Oversteps tour, won’t be forgetting that one, was incredible.

Missed you down in Dublin last time and was going to ask how the sound was cos I had been to a show at the same venue a couple of months previous and it was really bad but I’ve just watched a youtube audience recording of it, and from what I can tell, it sounds pretty good, also I can hear tuinorizn towards the end of that set. Was that track something you had developed from the live set for the album or had you been working on it after the ‘main’ tour had finished?

Favourite Kool Keith-related record?

It's also great to see that my fav musicians are showing no signs of slowing down :) Cheers for the music

thanks ,

yeah we really liked playing dublin, don't think its ever been shit not once. we'll be there, got a small gang of friends there too. very hospitable, always ending up at ppls houses all w/e after the sets.

i think the sound was top. and it wasn't the tour - was a one off later so we got invited to a more fortunate timing like big w/e show at good venue

ah u spot - bits of it yeah

really fond of first U-magnetics. "Ultra's M'cs"

Edited by Rob Ae

Guest Captain Kittens

Not sure if my earlier question got missed or lost since I had to edit it. I was wondering if either of you are into the current state of house and its varying genre's? The deep house boom that seems to be going on right now? Keep up with any techno at all? and I know I am start to be a begger lol, I'll admit I get star struck haha, but can I get a name of my Oxygen 49? :w00t:

Hey Autechre, I posted a pretty long one earlier, wouldn’t blame you if you skipped the whole thing so I’ll make it more succinct (feel a bit cheeky doing this as a new member) :

Would you guys consider coming back to Belfast and/or Dublin? (I know it’s not Russia or the southern states but the closer the better!). I saw you here (Belfast) back on the Untilted tour, can’t remember much of it tho but saw you again in London for the Oversteps tour, won’t be forgetting that one, was incredible.

Missed you down in Dublin last time and was going to ask how the sound was cos I had been to a show at the same venue a couple of months previous and it was really bad but I’ve just watched a youtube audience recording of it, and from what I can tell, it sounds pretty good, also I can hear tuinorizn towards the end of that set. Was that track something you had developed from the live set for the album or had you been working on it after the ‘main’ tour had finished?

Favourite Kool Keith-related record?

It's also great to see that my fav musicians are showing no signs of slowing down :) Cheers for the music

was it at temple bar? played there a few times, i thought it was alright in soundcheck but that place changes a lot when it's full, so i dunno

yeah it kind of grew out of the live set

err matthew

Hello ae,

dayum, halfway through a fortnight off work and all I've done is keep up with this thread. I was in chatmm when Sean wandered in on Saturday and have been chained to watmm ever since.

Just to say, thank you for the sounds. Draft 7.30 was my first ae LP and still holds a very special place in your discography (I have it all).

I've made some good notes for stuff to check out from you guys so here are my recommendations to you:

Cake & Polka Parade

http://wfmu.org/playlists/FJ

Hooting Yard

http://podcasts.resonancefm.com/archives/category/shows/hooting

Very thanks for this!

yo thanks for the links, my reading lists massive tonight - who needs sleep

as hip-hop/rap connoisseurs

what do you think about Epic Rap Battles Of History?

push_button.gif

yeah i saw it a bit ago, i dunno, kind of crap

i like this tho

Guest KunoMerit

some final comments - this is almost over so please know i'm not just trying to kiss your asses - autechre tracks are true art. (i deleted a bunch of true but needlessly mean thoughts about other artists that are supposedly ae's peers).

i remember clearly when i decided that draft 7.30 was the best electronic LP ever. Was driving around all day helping some one move to a new apartment. was sitting at a stop light and ... it just hit me. no LP compares to this.

most of the percussion on 7.30 sounds like it has a short delay/chorus to it. thick but in a novel way.

Not sure if my earlier question got missed or lost since I had to edit it. I was wondering if either of you are into the current state of house and its varying genre's? The deep house boom that seems to be going on right now? Keep up with any techno at all? and I know I am start to be a begger lol, I'll admit I get star struck haha, but can I get a name of my Oxygen 49? :w00t:

yeah i should check it more, i get bits… techno too. but so many labels, hard to keep up. mates help

your oxygen 49? is Stannage

what do you think about the cavity job single in retrospect?

i still wish they'd had the balls to release the original

but i guess we still could ourselves sometime

When you say, "the original" do you mean like alternate versions of the tracks? If I'm right, the first track in that live video of you guys from 1991 is the song Cavity Job and around the 1:31 mark where this girl takes a sip of her beer, this awesome melody comes in. If that is the original version of the track, I have to hear this because that melody has been stuck in my head for two weeks!

some final comments - this is almost over so please know i'm not just trying to kiss your asses - autechre tracks are true art. (i deleted a bunch of true but needlessly mean thoughts about other artists that are supposedly ae's peers).

i remember clearly when i decided that draft 7.30 was the best electronic LP ever. Was driving around all day helping some one move to a new apartment. was sitting at a stop light and ... it just hit me. no LP compares to this.

most of the percussion on 7.30 sounds like it has a short delay/chorus to it. thick but in a novel way.

its pretty good space for it a car, some work really well some don't, they seem to have that V'd eq thing, ideally i should get an impulse response for mine to combat this.

I know you're on the way out soonish, and I'm pretty sure I got buried, and I've also thought of a question, so here yeah. Do you have any tips on programming a 202, or is it more of a happy accident machine?

And a name for my Grados would be mighty fine. :)

When you say, "the original" do you mean like alternate versions of the tracks? If I'm right, the first track in that live video of you guys from 1991 is the song Cavity Job and around the 1:31 mark where this girl takes a sip of her beer, this awesome melody comes in. If that is the original version of the track, I have to hear this because that melody has been stuck in my head for two weeks!

yeah the actual synths way better in this mix lol

yeah the released one has that melody but the filter is different, not as good imo

I know you're on the way out soonish, and I'm pretty sure I got buried, and I've also thought of a question, so here yeah. Do you have any tips on programming a 202, or is it more of a happy accident machine?

no way its fully 'sit down with headphones and nothing else machine'.

try to get into the 2d sequencing , gateandstep shit. sean likes the special rez it has.

grados, posh no? what an honour ;P

your grados should be called Forest

Edited by Rob Ae

Guest KunoMerit

two days ago i spilt water all over my monomachine, octatrack and a4. once this thread is closed i'm gonna finally turn it back on and hope for the best. hopefully dried out by now.

Guest Captain Kittens

yeah i should check it more, i get bits… techno too. but so many labels, hard to keep up. mates help

your oxygen 49? is Stannage

Was a HOT track over the summer (deep house) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25-i8zw2AUA

Met this guy at a small gig here in Atlanta..super humble and always puts out hard hitting stuff (techno): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHKvskxIngM

I agree with you on the label situation. It seems every one and their mom is a producer these days with a label. Definitely hard to keep up with but there are some standouts. Bedrock Records is still putting out next level stuff check out Octopus Records if you want some hard hitting techno. They are always releasing bass heavy bangers.

Thanks for the naming! Haha again this has been a super treat. Nothing better than being able to actually interact with your inspiration. Thanks guys!

Edited by Captain Kittens

yeah think of it like a game of dominoes

once u got your head round the 12 -24 notelength thing its easy, and u can start doing weirder timings, just takes a bit of arithmetic :)

and the cool thing is accent and portamento patterns (which obv u can't do on a 101)

tbh it was all we had for about a year so we know it inside out

it's worth learning imo, helps with max programming anyway

Edited by Sean Ae