IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

so we picked up on the vague album numbering system. Someone here said you should name your next release "twelb", is this up there with some of the hot favourites?

Also curious about the whole Kiosk thing, did someone orig just pluck it out of thin air or did it actually exist as a project?

Any chance on collaborating with a Japanese singer again? The track with Mari Hamada is beautiful.

Have you used Renoise beyond the experiments with Venetian Snares?

Just came across the thread and am still catching up so I apologize if these questions have been asked already:

The first webcast stream you two did in April of 05 had about 45ish minutes of ambience. Where did that come from, and did it get put into any released tracks? If not, you should do more heavy ambience like that. It's pretty great in the right moods (much like Perlence subrange 3-63).

You mentioned the We R Are Why EP was all done on a ry30. Are there any other EPs or perhaps some single tracks that were composed almost entirely on one piece of equipment? If there's a bunch, just maybe one or two examples would be cool!

How many Bronchus' are there?

Do either of you listen to much metal? There was that one track in the FACT Mix...

About a minute into Pro Radii there's the vocal snippet that sounds like "break;" is that a sample or not?

Have you ever come across a recording you did and had no clue how the hell you got those sounds? Any examples of this in tracks we know?

Thanks for the consistently great music. Feel free to ignore any questions if you just want to answer one or two.

There are more bronchus's than i can remember at the mo

maphive was all pma5,

Break voice in pro radii is a sample yes,

I heard a friend say that 10ish years ago you played at a venue called the Wexner Center in Columbus, Ohio. Will any shows in or near Columbus happen again? Every cool electronic act seems to be going towards Europe these days, and I can never get a chance to see them.

Related but not entirely: do you ever do house shows, and have you considered doing more?

Columbus wexner centre was a life saver show, great acoustic treated black cube, and their tech guy repaired our 1210s

We would probably return :)

Hi Guys

1. How does it feel knowing that your music is being played by people/fans all over the world in so many different scenarios/settings?

I remember hearing your music being played on a ghetto blaster by some woman. I was riding the Sakura Jima ferry to attend a wedding that was being hosted on the island. It was 35 degrees and I was sweating my ass of in my suit, all of a sudden I hear this insanely loud music coming from the other end of the deck, and I realized it was one of your tracks. It was so inappropriately loud and awesome at the same time. This smoking hot girl was playing your music and she didn't give a fuck what anything thought about it. It was an unforgettable moment. I realized how cool it must be to make music with that kind of reach or impact on people.

Thanks

Adam

Great tale, it seems like it was worth it after all, just for that one hot girl with a ghetto blaster to play ae - which track?

as a listener/fan of your music, i've found that your music changes how it sounds and opens itself up the more you listen to it. even with confield or draft, released 10+ years ago, i can listen to these albums and still notice something new or different despite it being my billionth or so listen. like an effect or synth somewhere in the mix will come upfront and play with the rhythms and sounds and entirely change how i listen + appreciate the song.

you mentioned earlier that you still sometimes listen to your earlier albums. and i'm wondering if your perception of your own music changes much after the album has been released.

or if being involved in the creative process has more or less set in stone what the songs sound like to you?

also, is there anything in particular you would like to ask watmm?

(also, thank you for coming to australia and playing an amazing show from your oversteps set, and thank you for doing this ask autechre anything!)

Even though we may have reached saturation of a track and know it sooo well before its released i do hear new things later, mostly cos i think as we change, our perception of what we hear develops too, also due to association perhaps. Some contexts alter how the sound feels too.

Are you big into Scrabble? If so, what was your highest scoring bingo?

What should I listen to on my way to the studio this Tuesday afternoon?

Its been a long time since a scrabble,

What method of transport are u planning to use?

hey rob I ha ve my birthday coming up very soon any chance of a autograph from you guys as a present? or any other cool stuff?

Guest transmisiones ferox

Hello Autechre!

Just wanna to ask, is there any meaning or purpose behind track title, like, Osla for n? And how should I say L Event, like event "L", or something different?

Thanks for the answer!

why does Exai sound like it made using an Analog Four?

Do you think Ben of zoviet france lost the dats and/or messed up the recording and just doesn't want to tell you?

Why was your Dalglish remix never officially released?

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest northernplastic

Autechre doing a Q&A is reason enough to finally join watmm. Hello everyone.

Where did that "Voice of the Chinese People" sample you used in your last webcast come from?

That was the first thing I heard when I tuned in (I had late shift back then and wasn't able to tune in earlier), and it was such a great moment.

Thank you for that, the webcast was one of my favorite music-related things in 2013.

Oh, and since you're naming devices and everything, would you like to name my future child?

One male/female name pls.

do you think about emotions when making tracks? becuase I played VLETmx for a friend of mine and he found it so emotional that he literally broke down and cried

Crumbs! Yeah some track, actually many are (hard to explain really but...) expected to have some effect, i mean personally i feel emotion in our tracks and i hope others do too, but its pointless to try to predict exactly what or how it will affect ppl if we dont really know the person well. Or at all.

Dunno if this is a stupid question. I am about the same age as you guys and my job relates to an interest which is kind of a deep core of my personality. When I burn out or feel overstressed, I think "fuck it all" but I can't help getting interested again after a little while. Is music like that for you? Like something you can't escape?

I can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

Or if that's too indulgent - over the years Ae has had a very consistent "taste" and I don't know (nor am I interested) in who does what. But do you both "know" Ae when you hear it? Ever had to talk the other into including something on a release?

And - fan moment - I expected to be a little let down by the live set I saw in 2010, but the sound and the dark room pretty much blew my mind, got to the point where I kind of hallucinated sounds as rising textures in the space in front of me. No hallucinogens involved although I was pretty tired. That was outstanding, thanks.

wow, this topic exploded! no idea if any of this is covered but like heck i'm going back thru 26 pages...

Sean and Rob, just wanted to thank you for your Australian tour a few years back - i'm sure there was little commercial gain but it made a lot of us fans very happy. Hope to see you back out here sometime :)

You guys are huge on generative music; ever considered releasing an album of puredata patches or something along those lines, rather than prerecorded audio? I recognize the issues with doing so, but it'd probably blow some peoples minds to have that happen.

Thanks again for doing this. You guys are the best.

Do either of you consider Gescom - ISS-SA a part of the Ae discography? (I ask because I separate my albums by artist)

Als0 u may haev the hono(u)r of naming my kalimba andor Akai HR-16 (his current name is Dusty)

Question for SEAN: You seem to have appeared in alt.music.autechre in the pastm when usenet was relevant :) As Peggy Babcock. We all were convinced it was you. I remember the crossposting "Autechre rule - Queen are shite". WAS IT REALLY YOU? e.g. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.music.queen/JxgEzVg-7lQ

Seen you in Cologne back in the days, enjoyed it. Was the era when []pusher had his red hot co^w car out.

Edited by Guest

What is one track, by any artist at any era, that you listen to and enjoy every time?

acid eiffel by choice

LFO vs FUSE : loop - journey mix

Thanks again for doing this. You guys are the best.

Do either of you consider Gescom - ISS-SA a part of the Ae discography? (I ask because I separate my albums by artist)

Als0 u may haev the hono(u)r of naming my kalimba andor Akai HR-16 (his current name is Dusty)

Gescom = Gescom ,

HR-16 , I name thee Glossmore

Hello Ae,

I was wondering if you have a piece of hardware (instrument/effect, not computer) which you rely on and use frequently as a 'go to', due to the character/magic it brings.

Also wondering what your worst hardware disaster was - as in, spilling orange juice on a computer type of disaster.

Cheers

If were disregarding any computers here just for this Q, i would give the mpc1000 a good excercise with its JJOS now n then. Our RS integrator is a worthy distraction too. DMX has always been there for me too.