IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

What would you put on a pizza?

Much love and respect and love :cheers:

What would you think about coming to Memphis and/or other southern delta states?....loads of nature and moonshine :)

mushrooms

yeah i like playing in the south tons

Edited by Sean Ae

bit of a daring question:

ISS Sean Alone ?

do people actually think it means that?

eew

This is the price one must pay for not including a list of songtitle meanings, references and acronym explanations on every release.

Some also think that Overstep's "r ess" means: The first part 'r' was done by Rob only, and the second part where the drums kick in, 'ess' meaning S standing for Sean, was done by only Sean.

Edited by triachus

What would you put on a pizza?

Much love and respect and love :cheers:

What would you think about coming to Memphis and/or other southern delta states?....loads of nature and moonshine :)

mushrooms

yeah i like playing in the south tons

I can give y'all all the free fried chicken you'll ever want from one of the best places in the world to get said chicken.

can you guys persuade Clavia to release a nord modular g3? it would be much appreciated. :biggrin:

yeah somehow i don't think we are their target market

they should tho their algo's fucking own

Guest Gravity

Is the Oversteps type stuff over for good, or is there a chance you'll release more material in that sort of vein? Love all your stuff but that album is one of my favorites.

thanks for the ama btw :happy:

What was the resonant structure referenced in Extended Ambience Sample from a Resonant Structure?

you really don't wanna know

It's farts, isnt it?

It's ok, Scott Walker and Otto Von Schirach do it too.

Not a question, but here is something you guys might find interesting:Back in 2007 I went to Venice and visited the Biennale, the big art festival. I went into a pavilion, can't remember which country, Norway, Sweden, Finland... something Scandinavian (I might be wrong). I see this art film thats playing. Pretty weird, had lots of snowy landscapes, white and blue colors, and sometimes people, don't know what they were doing, it looked like it was made from still photos with subtle differences that mutated into eachother. It was edited to various musics. It was weird and I liked it, so I decided to watch the whole thing. And lo' and behold, I suddenly hear Melve. I've heard it play three times or more in the movie. It didn't play long, it was used as an intermission between scenes or something. At the end I looked at the credits, and every song that was used in the movie was credited... except Melve.So hey, your song was used in an art film at the biggest art festival in the world. Without you being credited.Were you guys aware of this?

Had no idea.

the piece was Last Riot by AES+F in the Russian Pavillon:

(ae 1:00 in..)

Edited by Guest

What is the fattest beat you've ever heard? Could anything have made it even fatter?

What should I name the track I'm going to start tonight/tomorrow? It's got to fit on an album comprised largely of intense ambient pieces.

What is your favorite Coil track or release?

(Also, I'm still hoping for that music-to-listen-to-while-walking-to-the-studio-on-Tuesday recommendation, but otherwise that Residents album mentioned earlier shall serve me nicely... just heard the track Shorty's Lament and fell in love.)

What do you guys think of Anthony Fantano's review of Exai? Do you guys watch him?

he seems fair and subjective, and he doesn't front that he knows everything

i mean he's pretty real, i wouldn't say he was a melon or anything

As a fellow Manc, I find a really distinct synaesthetic connection between the structures and architectures in your work and the atmosphere of Manchester and the Pennines. Would you say your work is connected to the local landscape in that way?

It wasnt unusual to spend time in the wet bleak grey green wide open low cloud spaces when i was a kid, dotted with out of use two hundred year old utility works on the border from lancs/yorks, and growing up not far from there feels like it had a bearing on things we do.

What is the fattest beat you've ever heard? Could anything have made it even fatter?

What should I name the track I'm going to start tonight/tomorrow? It's got to fit on an album comprised largely of intense ambient pieces.

What is your favorite Coil track or release?

(Also, I'm still hoping for that music-to-listen-to-while-walking-to-the-studio-on-Tuesday recommendation, but otherwise that Residents album mentioned earlier shall serve me nicely... just heard the track Shorty's Lament and fell in love.)

Haha, am still waiting for the method of transport.

What do you guys think of Anthony Fantano's review of Exai? Do you guys watch him?

he seems fair and subjective, and he doesn't front that he knows everything

i mean he's pretty real, i wouldn't say he was a melon or anything

I've never called anyone a melon ever but I'm going to start right away. I like that one.

untilted is my fav album of yours and the live stuff is incredible from that tour. that stuff was very different than anything you guys had been doing, were the quaristice sessions really a continuation of that jam style?

Haha, guys any story you could share to this one? Rob? :biggrin:

I always wondered why, in the whole film, you are there for only 36 seconds...how much of your interview was trashed?

Edited by Jev

i got no idea, i never owned one

but i take it as a compliment cos it means you're hearing some of our dsp progging as analogue (which was the intention)

interesting, because Exai has a distinctly more 'analog' sound, if it's mostly digital you guys did a great job of making it sound the opposite, at least all the synth work. Are there soft-synths you guys have an affinity for? I've noticed you mention FM7 a few times, how about some of the newer ones like Madrona Labs Aalto?

Also thanks for the confirmation on the Autechre patch, there are an army of cycling74 employees trying to claim it's not a real patch or as some would say a 'hoax'. The patch made me realize just the lengths you guys go to get that perfect timbre. No matter how many times or different ways I've tried drum stuttering/rapid fire sounds, they never have that pleasurable timbre quality you guys mastered so well during the Draft/Confield era.

Do you guys enjoy any of the other artists on Isolate Records besides Vsnares and OST/Dalglish, specifically Nommo Ogo or Tomoroh Hidari?

And what's your favorite album or work by Mick Harris aka Scorn?

never seen alto, i'll check it when i get back to using DAWs

a lot of the stuff around draft time was done in dp, just triggering a sampler from the sequencer (akai z8 over midi) - the motu midi interface we were using was really fast so you could mad rolls with it. we'd do tuned rolls and then copy them and multiply the length of the roll by 1.05946 incrementally to make it play melodies.

not checked anyone on isolate apart from aaron and chris

zander probably cos it was the first one where he nailed the kind of hip hop i like

Oh, just remembered a question, Dual Purpose is you two, right?

And which one of you wrote the lyrics to Augmatic Disport? Or was it a joint effort? I find them very emotional, especially the bit about the bowl of crisps.

Not a question, but here is something you guys might find interesting:Back in 2007 I went to Venice and visited the Biennale, the big art festival. I went into a pavilion, can't remember which country, Norway, Sweden, Finland... something Scandinavian (I might be wrong). I see this art film thats playing. Pretty weird, had lots of snowy landscapes, white and blue colors, and sometimes people, don't know what they were doing, it looked like it was made from still photos with subtle differences that mutated into eachother. It was edited to various musics. It was weird and I liked it, so I decided to watch the whole thing. And lo' and behold, I suddenly hear Melve. I've heard it play three times or more in the movie. It didn't play long, it was used as an intermission between scenes or something. At the end I looked at the credits, and every song that was used in the movie was credited... except Melve.So hey, your song was used in an art film at the biggest art festival in the world. Without you being credited.Were you guys aware of this?

Had no idea.

the piece was Last Riot by AES+F in the Russian Pavillon:

(ae 1:00 in..)

Oh wow, thanks for this. Glad to see it again after all these years, although the clip is not complete, pretty sure Melve was played a few times.

Interesting comment on the youtube video:

At about one minute in the music being played is Autechre - a track called Melve off Lp5, The end credits say it is someone else. Can anyone shed light on this?

Not only did they not credit Autechre, but they credited it to someone else?

The plot thickens...

Edited by triachus