IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Do either of you keep up with the Manchester or your local graffiti scenes? Seeing as it's how you fellas met. Do you have favourite writers and do you still paint yourselves?

Yeah locally there are some really talented writers. 3dom does alright round here.

question for sean or rob:

you guys have been recognized as being primary figures in bringing back or re-popularizing FM synthesis as well as pushing it in entirely new directions, do either of you have interest in physical modeling synthesis? I know you say you're mostly outside the DAW right now, and given that there arent very many pieces of physical gear that do physical modeling (besides the korg wavedrum, yamaha vls and a few others) have you explored much in the past or present new advancements in this technology such as Pianoteq or Applied Acoustics Chromaphone (probably the first really solid phys mod percussion engine since the Machinedrum) ? Just curious if you could speak on how you feel about this type of synthesis or if any specific tracks utilized it.

edit: Sonderemawe sounds like it had some virtual metal plate/membrane action happening in it. A

I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts on physical modeling as well.

I asked something to this effect earlier but I think it got buried

Can one of you elaborate on some tracks that you think are particularly complex with a high level of attention to detail, or some tracks you found were a particular pain in the ass to finally finish? I could make some guesses but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Sorry . Not ignoring this, just hard to answer fairly... Cant remember a pain in the ass track, some get really slippery , but its always a lesson in something eventually. Recognising 'what' is usually the most elusive bit.

Guest bitroast

Ever run into trouble regarding the use of samples in your songs? Like, had to alter or hold back from releasing a track due to rights or concerns? Anything you're particularly fond of that probably won't see the light of day?

And um, you've mentioned being able to release music as autechre or gescom.

Have many tracks slipped through using an uncredited alias? Is there like a whole album(s) worth of amen ridden drum n bass out there or weird ambient abstract noise ??

Guest RandySicko
I was surprised to see that the lushest pads vote went to anything else other than Goz Quarter. Anyways...

I imagine most famous people would like to still think of themselves as "regular guys"... but I can't imagine not having some sort of complex if I was in the spotlight for two decades and becoming more well known then most people ever be. Do you feel this has gone to either of your heads or manifested itself in ways that contributed to a loss of touch with the rest of society? I tried not to load the question too much.

Guest bitroast

Also, on the gear naming bandwagon.

Can you (sean pls) (or rob, pls) name my sh101 and Yamaha tx81z. The 101 is modded with extra inputs and output so you can get it to modulate itself and create FM acid, if that helps:)

there is a metaphysical approach in ae's music? something related to speculative realism, or object-oriented ontology that rejects the privileging of human existence over the existence of nonhuman objects, or just hyperrealism? whats the final goal of your music if it lasted for thousand years?

By nonhuman objects do u mean man made objects? Or other lifeforms?

all things made by men, whether physical or fictional: a panpsychic reality where humans and objects have the same dignity.[/size]

Whose dignity?

heh ...the best critique on object-oriented philosophy ever

thanks for all the great music over the years. you changed my perception of music and the endless possibilites

i wish i had a useful question but i don't

is fermium a club / pop track in the world of untilted which is totally different from today in the far future or some other unidentified place? thats what i hear and i also see blue and gray on untilted.

and maybe

on exai did you recreate sounds from older albums but yet didnt source from actual old sounds? i feel like i hear kick drums from draft, vocals from untilted and so forth?

Mbe a bit of a pop track, but is mbe over shrill to fit in regular club sound systems.. Would be atrocious in say berghain,

only a Nexo rig and a felt lined space could pull it off, but its worth it, we got close once in france i think it was.

No, exai, is all from fresh endeavours.

I was surprised to see that the lushest pads vote went to anything else other than Goz Quarter. Anyways...

I imagine most famous people would like to still think of themselves as "regular guys"... but I can't imagine not having some sort of complex if I was in the spotlight for two decades and becoming more well known then most people ever be. Do you feel this has gone to either of your heads or manifested itself in ways that contributed to a loss of touch with the rest of society? I tried not to load the question too much.

I think we all must experience the same changes as people, that we all go through as we live/grow whatever, so no. But there is a wedge shaped dynamic to being a singular 'artist' reaching more people by releasing stuff, we are fans of other peoples work. We dont lose touch.

do either of you guys have kids, and if so, do you create music for them?

I have 2. They're not entirely sure what i'm up to though.

Do either of you keep up with the Manchester or your local graffiti scenes? Seeing as it's how you fellas met. Do you have favourite writers and do you still paint yourselves?

Yeah locally there are some really talented writers. 3dom does alright round here.

I have that guy on Flickr, he does some insane characters. Here in Australia, young writers tend to brand as much as they can under their alias while neglecting quality. Were you the same or did you try to create something worth looking at?

Can you (sean pls) (or rob, pls) name my sh101 and Yamaha tx81z. The 101 is modded with extra inputs and output so you can get it to modulate itself and create FM acid, if that helps:)

The namegear OP is getting cross with u all grabbing names!!

Shlol and Zibtax respectively.

I am still wondering how they managed to talk you to such a chat marathon, Rob. I mean Sean has been here for almost all day answering almost every single question (and naming various stuff) yet there are still 3 days left :biggrin: You are crazy guys but we really appreciate it.

Ask & Soker have done some good colour schemes not unlike syd meads' lusher acrylic pallettes, but i dont get out much, grafs a saturated scene in a way.

Ask & Soker have done some good colour schemes not unlike syd meads' lusher acrylic pallettes, but i dont get out much, grafs a saturated scene in a way.

Probably old hat by now, but i remember seeing daim for the first time in switzerland on tour years ago, that changed a few things.

any of you ever get tinnitus? (esp.after too much fm)

how do you get around it, when it stays for a while?(days, weeks)

Good question.

Guest bitroast

The namegear OP is getting cross with u all grabbing names!!

Shlol and Zibtax respectively.

Amazing. Lol @ shlol Edited by pigster