IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

48 seconds into bladelores there's a glitch just before the track 'fades' into reverb. Was this you hitting stop on your sequencer after noticing the glitch and decided to keep it in the track, or deliberately programmed ?

A few years ago I accidentally discovered a way to make my megadrive glitch crazy FM sounds -

Sonic hangon.mp3

Ecco Jr.mp3

Are there any other happy accidents (like your 'Ensoniq RAM' discovery) that your were delighted to discover ?

im not sure 3 more days of this will be enough. I mean, i have a hundred questions about what foods you guys like that still need to be answered.

marmite?

huge fan

Marmite is in

48 seconds into bladelores there's a glitch just before the track 'fades' into reverb. Was this you hitting stop on your sequencer after noticing the glitch and decided to keep it in the track, or deliberately programmed ?

A few years ago I accidentally discovered a way to make my megadrive glitch crazy FM sounds -

attachicon.gifSonic hangon.mp3

attachicon.gifEcco Jr.mp3

Are there any other happy accidents (like your 'Ensoniq RAM' discovery) that your were delighted to discover ?

our Casio SK1 had similar issues, after a Vimto situation

neatly bringing us to Vimto AND Marmite. Dope!

attachicon.gifSonic hangon.mp3

attachicon.gifEcco Jr.mp3

It was deliberate.

I was surprised to see that the lushest pads vote went to anything else other than Goz Quarter. Anyways...

I imagine most famous people would like to still think of themselves as "regular guys"... but I can't imagine not having some sort of complex if I was in the spotlight for two decades and becoming more well known then most people ever be. Do you feel this has gone to either of your heads or manifested itself in ways that contributed to a loss of touch with the rest of society? I tried not to load the question too much.

I think we all must experience the same changes as people, that we all go through as we live/grow whatever, so no. But there is a wedge shaped dynamic to being a singular 'artist' reaching more people by releasing stuff, we are fans of other peoples work. We dont lose touch.

do either of you guys have kids, and if so, do you create music for them?

I have 2. They're not entirely sure what i'm up to though.

Did having a family change you musical output? Most people I know have a decreased musical output once they are setteled with a family.

sean, you said lynch is one of your fave directors, which of his films is your favourite?

rob and sean, are you into minimal ambient stuff along the lines of taylor deupree/12k etc...?

could you name my my waldorf blofeld and ms 20?

huge thanks for being good sports and doing this!

sorry I have multiple questions

1.Is autechre for headphones - yes or no?

2.do you see the use of vocals as a instrument or just as something to adorn the track with?

3.is there a studio version of that MCR Quarter track?

4.If I pm you a link to files of a track of mine...would you remix it for me?

5.If I pm you my adress would you send me something signed for my birthday

1 yes absolutely, since the start.

Having bedroom studios forced us to do it all on cans a great majority of the time early on.

Late night manchester radio shows - listening had to be done covertly.

We also had quite a few Walkmans (yeah 80s er), journeys to school/college would be essential headphones time.

Later on we would 'idiot check' tracks' final mixes on cans during each DAT pass..

And still a lot of cans throughout the entire process - where necessary.

2 yes - an instrument.

3 iirc theres only one MCR QTR.

4 we're very busy at the mo, so its unlikely in the near future, shit put me on the spot dude why don't u. <3

5 agh, as much as i'd love to say yeah but looking at the namegeargate explosion, i'd be fucked if i could actually keep it a one off. But hypothetically speaking, sure.

Edited by Rob Ae

Guest jasondonervan

When you listen back to your tracks, are you able to distance your mind from the creation process? In other words, can you just kick back and enjoy the fruits of your labour, or are you always thinking about the building blocks that went into it?

Favourite 2 Live Crew track?

I hate to bump my own question again, it was a bottom of the page, over written pile of shit but I'm genuinely curious. If back in the early Ae years you were to hear Confield/Exai/pick recent album (obviously not knowing you made it in the future), how do you think you'd react to it?

Is your remix of Jello's Neph you just telling Daz that they track is great as it is, just lose all the fluff and keep it simple :lol:

not really, we've been into the way he uses the keyboard since we met, and he does fluff very well. I think we just got mesmerised by the keys, and ended up focusing more there.

When you listen back to your tracks, are you able to distance your mind from the creation process? In other words, can you just kick back and enjoy the fruits of your labour, or are you always thinking about the building blocks that went into it?

yeah i can distance myself from the processes, assuming theres been enough time to fill my short term buffer with other things.

early 2 live crew was best ;

ghetto bass, trow the d, what i like, get it girl.

however yakety yak etc was bad.

Guest bitroast

yeah i can distance myself from the processes, assuming theres been enough time to fill my short term buffer with other things.

early 2 live crew was best ;

ghetto bass, trow the d, what i like, get it girl.

however yakety yak etc was bad.

nothing will top arnold schwarzenegger's version.

Have you heard The Automatics Group's Summer Mix album? A mix album compiled from artists like Swedish House Mafia, Paul Van Dyk, Deadmau5, Sash! Sonique, Roger Sanchez andEric Prydz but resetting the phase data of the waveforms to 'devolve' them into lovely spectral mush.

I'm very interested in spectral manipulation of audio but my knowledge on being able to do so is very limited (beyond a few FFT VSTs) - are there any tools or reading material you can recommend to increase my skills in this area ?

I hate to bump my own question again, it was a bottom of the page, over written pile of shit but I'm genuinely curious. If back in the early Ae years you were to hear Confield/Exai/pick recent album (obviously not knowing you made it in the future), how do you think you'd react to it?

I think Sean did answer this, bruv.

Is your remix of Jello's Neph you just telling Daz that they track is great as it is, just lose all the fluff and keep it simple :lol:

not really, we've been into the way he uses the keyboard since we met, and he does fluff very well. I think we just got mesmerised by the keys, and ended up focusing more there.

speaking of Daz, do you know what he's upto lately? is Ambrosia or whatever still in the works?

I think Sean did answer this, bruv.

Oh shit yeah, sorry! Disregard the above!

"in a world ruled by immediacy and ease , contemporary artists try to deconstruct reality, and reconstruct it in a much complex way, which offers all kinds of prospective and aspects" : do you relate to this statement?
another two smaller questions:

have you ever used modular synthesizers? what do you think of this kind of instruments?

is there any chance to see you live in Italy?

Guest hertsdonut

What's is(was) your favourite effect/fx chain on a Quadraverb? The thing is so damn flexible, am I right in thinking it had a big influence on your early sound, in terms of what it made possible? Any tips?

Can a recommend a certain generative music patch / vst / software you like a lot (besides the ones you created yourself)?

Did you replace midi in favor of a modified version of osc or did you create something new from scratch?

Do you like any sepecific ios / android music app you would suggest?

What do you think about software like noatikl, synfire, melodyne and liquid notes?

when sean pointed me to SunVox on IOS i was pretty chuffed.

Have you seen Jeskola Buzz - It's very much what SunVox is but with an insane amount of user created generators and effects -

buzz.jpg

and has one of the most gorgeous software reverbs I've ever heard

What's is(was) your favourite effect/fx chain on a Quadraverb? The thing is so damn flexible, am I right in thinking it had a big influence on your early sound, in terms of what it made possible? Any tips?

yeah love the quadraverb, tended towards the reverb phaser delay ring mod - can't rem if there was the spectrum shifter on the plus or not now (its at seans) , not so much chorus or distortion back then - its quite apparent in the early trax…. and its noisiness was not a problem.