IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Guest SammyTheCrab

Hello Rob.

some questions

What is your fav acid house 12"

What is your fav album or 12" cover art

Can you remember the label of that acid 12" with the hip hop acapellas ove the top (ice t shante ) etc.. as im trying to find a copy.

are your decks original or did you ever have to replace them

it changes, prob my most awesome fave is very often : Jaquarius - Love Is Happiness(Acid Rain) 1988 - YouTube

what!? one cover? right now as yr asking : Unsane. the one with the track : Bath on it

does todd terry count, not acid, but house, such a prolific house producer
u mean like 'sharp as a knife', brandon cooke 12" - club records?,
ones my proper first 1210mkII
the others a bit newer.

Its a 12 with straight up acid and raps over the top,about the same time as jolly roger-its got Colors/ice t and a shante rap-you do know it but i don't have any other infomation

I was surprised to see that the lushest pads vote went to anything else other than Goz Quarter. Anyways...
I imagine most famous people would like to still think of themselves as "regular guys"... but I can't imagine not having some sort of complex if I was in the spotlight for two decades and becoming more well known then most people ever be. Do you feel this has gone to either of your heads or manifested itself in ways that contributed to a loss of touch with the rest of society? I tried not to load the question too much.

not really, most people don't have a clue. it's not like we get recognised in the street

I was surprised to see that the lushest pads vote went to anything else other than Goz Quarter. Anyways...
I imagine most famous people would like to still think of themselves as "regular guys"... but I can't imagine not having some sort of complex if I was in the spotlight for two decades and becoming more well known then most people ever be. Do you feel this has gone to either of your heads or manifested itself in ways that contributed to a loss of touch with the rest of society? I tried not to load the question too much.

not really, most people don't have a clue. it's not like we get recognised in the street

Have you ever been? What's the strangest story you can remember about someone recognizing you?

Hey Sean & Rob,

When you guys played the Detroit Electronic Music Festival several years back, how did you feel about playing the underground stage with completely horrible acoustics? Or, did the shite acoustics add to the fun?

Any fond memories from the bankruptcy that is Detroit?

Are the Secret Chiefs 3 ever going to release Book of Souls?

Holla.

yeah it was fun tempered with a carnage kind of angle.

just being there is enough, detroit's reach has been deep for us… like going to the centre of the universe in a way.

Guest lumakey

any idea how long it took bladelores to come together? was it something you kept returning to over a long period of time?

the wash at the end is beautiful.

I would like to have VLetrmx21 played at my Funeral. Which music (if any) would you want played at yours?

And while on the subject of death, If 1 of you died would the other carry on releasing music? and would you still call it Autechre?

Sorry for the morbid questions and respect for keeping this thing going!!

dunno if it would be fair to call it autechre, sometimes we have impersonated each others' styles in a track in any absence, but i doubt it would be fun to do it post lossage.

What is the first track you play for people that have never heard you before?

i had a guy round fixing my boiler a couple of years ago when i was doing tac lacora so i played him that cos he was asking

he just said 'who listens to this then? loads of guys sitting in their houses smoking weed?'

and i went 'yeah, pretty much'

Awesome. Your market is so obvious even the boiler guy knew.

Word up, Ae. I recently found a few of your old radio mixes on my old Compaq desktop PC (XFM, Breezeblock and Solid Steel), it was great to hear them again (big chunks of Wendy Carlos and Hafler Trio on that Breezeblock Mix :-D). I know you guys do the massive webcast marathons but does it work differently for the radio output? does the station come to you and you post them a CD of a half hour mix? And are you inundated with requests for this type of stuff in the lead up to an album release?

yeah sometimes its like that for outside radio programmers, we get quite busy with requests when we announce a new record.

In the lead up to Draft being released you did a mix for Radio 3: Mixing it and a mix for Mary Anne Hobbs. The Radio 3 mix was full of bombastic dance beats which almost left the presenters speechless, while the Radio 1 mix was more cultured/refined. It was almost as if the two CD's had got mixed up in the mail and went to different areas in the BBC. I thought that was a nice touch :-D

Guest northernplastic

i had a guy round fixing my boiler a couple of years ago when i was doing tac lacora so i played him that cos he was asking

he just said 'who listens to this then? loads of guys sitting in their houses smoking weed?'

So you worked on tac lacora for several years? Impressive.

Was part of the percussive/rhythmic figure in tapr iterated from the rhythmic figure in parhelic traingle, or am I hearing things that aren't there?

any idea how long it took bladelores to come together? was it something you kept returning to over a long period of time?

the wash at the end is beautiful.

a while, some of the back end was built before the track became what it was in the end. also timeline in this context isn't accurate because we had a few tracks on the go simultaneously, so divided by them, dunno. hahah

Oooh, I know what I've been meaning to ask for ages. The code inside the tape inlay of Draft7.30:

2_592492.jpg

My theory on here a while ago was this -

It kind of looks like Rube-Goldberg code (i.e. a convoluted way of doing nothing) in what looks like Pascal - A whole bunch of 'for'/wait loops with no actually functional part of the code, so it's either a timing section from a larger piece of code or (more likely) a bit of geeky humour by the boys about the process of the audience listening to the album (eg. Repeat Listendraft; until time = 1894 for tracknum = 1 to 12 )

So what actually is it ?

Hey Sean & Rob,

When you guys played the Detroit Electronic Music Festival several years back, how did you feel about playing the underground stage with completely horrible acoustics? Or, did the shite acoustics add to the fun?

Holla.

just being there is enough, detroit's reach has been deep for us… like going to the centre of the universe in a way.

Thanks Rob,

Going back to your time in Detroit.

Did you rub elbows with any of the Belleville Three?

Was Derrick May like, Awww my GOD! it's the Autechre! You guys comb my hair back with AwEsomEnEss!!!?

or were you guys like Derrick May, OMG! Noooo Waaayyyyy!!!? knuckle bumps.

Thanks in advance

Word up, Ae. I recently found a few of your old radio mixes on my old Compaq desktop PC (XFM, Breezeblock and Solid Steel), it was great to hear them again (big chunks of Wendy Carlos and Hafler Trio on that Breezeblock Mix :-D). I know you guys do the massive webcast marathons but does it work differently for the radio output? does the station come to you and you post them a CD of a half hour mix? And are you inundated with requests for this type of stuff in the lead up to an album release?

yeah sometimes its like that for outside radio programmers, we get quite busy with requests when we announce a new record.

In the lead up to Draft being released you did a mix for Radio 3: Mixing it and a mix for Mary Anne Hobbs. The Radio 3 mix was full of bombastic dance beats which almost left the presenters speechless, while the Radio 1 mix was more cultured/refined. It was almost as if the two CD's had got mixed up in the mail and went to different areas in the BBC. I thought that was a nice touch :-D

yeah the mixing it mix was super condensed to like 15min

Do you always take time to get a distant view on tracks before you know what you did there and release them or do you just work on them very long?

Hey Sean & Rob,

Holla.

Thanks Rob,

Going back to your time in Detroit.

Did you rub elbows with any of the Belleville Three?

Was Derrick May like, Awww my GOD! it's the Autechre! You guys comb my hair back with AwEsomEnEss!!!?

or were you guys like Derrick May, OMG! Noooo Waaayyyyy!!!? knuckle bumps.

Thanks in advance

no we didn't meet any of them, but we got Juan to play with us in japan some time after that. which was stupidly hard - cos even though we hung out a fair bit, i remembered all the things i wanted to pester him with, as i landed at heathrow.

Do you always take time to get a distant view on tracks before you know what you did there and release them or do you just work on them very long?

nah it was done in a week or so, i was playing him the edit

the original live jam was done in a few hours tho, a few months before that

that really varies from track to track. some get turned over in an afternoon, others are built on ideas that took years to facilitate

that really varies from track to track. some get turned over in an afternoon, others are built on ideas that took years to facilitate

hahah we're about to phase each other out!

Guest northernplastic

Okay guys, few more questions, you don't have to answer them if they feel to personal, especially number one and two.

1. Does your family like your music? By family I don't necessarily mean your wife/gf or possible offspring. Maybe your parents? Or your aunts or something like that.

2. Did your family play a role in the making of Autechre back in the beginning? Like, supporting you and stuff like that.

3. At what point (release) were you both able to make a living off your music?

Oh, and Sean, you kind of skipped a question, would love an answer to that.

Also, thanks for doing this, it's great to get an authentic picture of the minds behind Autechre. Thank you, you guys are great.

Awesome. Your market is so obvious even the boiler guy knew.

Well, that's funny because I have never ever used any drug and I have never been drunk and I don't drink coffee and am no smoker. Yet I absolutely adore some of the weirdest music the guys have done. And I believe I am not alone in this market :-))