IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

I'm terrible for getting lost with spending too much time tweaking and not finishing anything.

How do you guys balance sound exploration with getting things finished or knowing when to move on if your overdoing things or being counter productive?

I'm terrible for getting lost with spending too much time tweaking and not finishing anything.

How do you guys balance sound exploration with getting things finished or knowing when to move on if your overdoing things or being counter productive?

i think partly cos we don't work in the same stages that a lot of other producers seem to

ie, writing, recording mixing

it's all jumbled up for us

jeez, Joyrex! can someone point me to the 'kill spellchecker' switch we're autechre FFS, we don't spell anything like this.

If you click the 'light switch' button in the top left of the posting window (BBCode Mode if you hover over the icon), it switches to the old mode where you can properly see all the tags used - I don't think this mode cares about spelling.

what way do you prefer your music to be heard (vinyl, CD or mp3?)
what made you decide to split Dial/CapIV into two tracks?

also is CapIV comparable to a version titling similar to draft 7.30?

I apologize for my English in advance.

Before I come to my question I have to explain some things that you know where I coming from, please bear with me...what I'm actually asking...

Avoiding fancy philosophical terms (just cause I’m ignorant actually), lets assume that Reality is something that really exists outside our minds and that is the reality that we discover and upgrade (for example, through science, art, dreams and daily contemplation), and that our personal truth is only our personal interpretation of the Reality. Therefore people would differentiate in levels of objectivity and genius in art is nothing but the highest level of objectivity in the interpretation of the reality with an ability to convert it in consumable form of art. What helps this artist to achieve that highest level is comprehension/ cognition/ of the reality as parts of things and ideas separate from himself in every sense, and as such they can be viewed objectively, and then he can cognize them freely by unconscious reasoning and conscious recognition as ‘true’ .... He feels/knows that there is something worthwhile and follows it to see where it will lead him. It is desire for knowledge and thirst for the truth that push him, and he would not have required motivation if he doesn’t believe that the reality is ‘pretty’ and interesting, like a fractal.

Furthermore he/they can name a project Autechre which is also seen as something separate from him/them or at least as an intersection halfway between Reality and his/their own personality/subjectivity. When the artist comes to this intersection he brings to the table things like: psychological openness to knowledge, intellectual ability, lateral horizon of ideas (the main requirement of creativity) , taste / aesthetic preferences, morality (yes, I do think so) , perseverance, diligence , precision, technical skills, time, money, etc…but gains more of the objectivity as an award so he can enjoy the reality even more. It’s a feedback loop actually IMO. That's why genius has the most benefit from his ingenuity... He knows it when he sees it.

Today, all call for relativism and subjectivity like it’s the holly grail of in cognition. Less and less ppl believe in One Objective Reality. Everyone just wants to selfishly ‘‘Express themselves’’ but have not much to show ... if they have they wouldn’t want it. This is also a feedback loop. Someone upstairs have a great sense of humor I guess…

I know that not everybody has all the ability but I'm actually talking about morality in art. One can only resonate with what he is.

The only artist i could compare you to is Beethoven, lots of reasons (the only artist i love more than you guys [sorry, sorry]). Non could beat him in morality.

Interestingly, Beethoven was the first romantic, one could ask how romanticism can be 'objective', especially him? It's not music that has to be objective at first IMO but the composer behind it and you'll see objectivity in the music eventually. Big subject, could wright for days. Sorry for this... i feel like a total dush ...

Question:

Do you think that tilting in favor of the objectivity in oppose to focusing on self- expression stripped of Reality is possible to be the norm again (as it was in time of classicism) and should it?

I don't assume it should be black or white but still in general… what are your thoughts about it?

i don't think about it too much tbh

it seems like both of these states (objective/subjective) are impossible to achieve, and really we are all some combination of the two

hi there
multiple questions, again (I think some of them have been overlooked
1.have you heard of atmogen? It is for PC (I don't know if also for mac) its a bit like metasynth? ever heard/ worked with it?
2.(okay maybe its sort of two questions meshed into one) there is autechre tracktiles wiki that tries to figure out what lies behind the naming of autechre tracks? Are that father from the truth than they think and why don't you give us some insight into that
4.what way do you prefer your music to be heard (vinyl, CD or mp3?)
5.what made you decide to split Dial/CapIV into two tracks?

hi there

1.have you heard of atmogen? It is for PC (I don't know if also for mac) its a bit like metasynth? ever heard/ worked with it?

2.(okay maybe its sort of two questions meshed into one) there is autechre tracktiles wiki that tries to figure out what lies behind the naming of autechre tracks? Are that father from the truth than they think and why don't you give us some insight into that

1. no

2. some of them are accurate, some are way off. no clues, sorry

3. oh there is no 3

4. wav, cd or vinyl

5. they were always two tracks, we didn't split anything

no, it means something specific (refers to a vocal sample in the track)

Man, you guys still kicking it on here eh. Truly good show.

Got some random questions for your discretion...

- Disco Volante or California?

- Breaking Bad: Last 10min of "Crawl Space" or "Ozymandias" for series best?

- Coke or Pepsi?

- Kool Moe Dee or Busy Bee?

- Spoonie Gee Love Rap best drum sample in Hip Hop history? I said it amen break.

- Boxers, briefs, thong or commando?

- Decker - Replicant or human?

- Are we being trolled like a motherfucker with this thread?

- Money, can you guys bum me some? I had to ask. ;)

Thanks again guys.

Did you ever go to Jive Turkey ?

ah no we got there too late for that,

nice to see the faces though, winston, nightmares, very much a more easy going than manchester vibe. but pretty much same music scene for hip hop, soul and house.

hi there

1. no

2. some of them are accurate, some are way off. no clues, sorry

3. oh there is no 3

4. wav, cd or vinyl

5. they were always two tracks, we didn't split anything

no, it means something specific (refers to a vocal sample in the track)

to 5 ..well I just thought that because 2 and three seem to go together its like 1 track split in two parts? or were they created seperately and they just seemed to fit?

btw I can really recommend atmogen ...again it works from the spectrogram side of the music...you can draw the sounds so to speak...if done right it sounds wicked and you get some VERY nice sounds (I use it quite often just for that)

a lot of the art in my office has a typography theme. would you say this wall fits right in?

20t1p41.jpg

oh that's nice

ha thanks. i have thought about getting another set so i could do the backsides of all them but the idea of lining 8 up exactly on the wall sets my ocd off.

i was thinking exai art was a typography exercise. amirite?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Flutter from Anti EP was made in protest against the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, right?

A few questions about it : how did you have this idea to "inverse the codes" by making this non-repetitive beat? Also, you said that Flutter is playable at 45 or 33 rpm. How did you manage to create the track? It sound amazing at both speeds and I was wondering if you used a special technic to program it.

Edited by Woozz

some of the synth modulations i've heard on recordings of the oversteps tour are insane. i'm pretty surprised to hear that it's all nord because i've heard textures that i thought were only achievable with something like an fs1r, really complex envelopes & rapid timbre changes. i'm wondering - do you ever have problems choking the midi bandwidth sending out so many parameters in realtime? does stuff ever drop-out live and you just sort of roll with it, or do you do extensive stress testing first to make sure all the params are making it to the synth?

sorry for the super technical question. have had problems with my g2 not catching everything when i'm sending it a lot of midi.

Man, you guys still kicking it on here eh. Truly good show.

Got some random questions for your discretion...

- Disco Volante or California?

- Breaking Bad: Last 10min of "Crawl Space" or "Ozymandias" for series best?

- Coke or Pepsi?

- Kool Moe Dee or Busy Bee?

- Spoonie Gee Love Rap best drum sample in Hip Hop history? I said it amen break.

- Boxers, briefs, thong or commando?

- Decker - Replicant or human?

- Are we being trolled like a motherfucker with this thread?

- Money, can you guys bum me some? I had to ask. ;)

Thanks again guys.

yeah i know i'm meant to say disco volante but nah, california

i only started watching it 3 nights ago, i avoided it cos loads of idiots kept telling me how great it was and when i watched a bit of it years ago it seemed totally shit compared to the wire (which those same idiots didn't seem to get)

coke

busy bee

nah, mountain long red

boxer briefs

replicant

you seem to be implying something

no

some of the synth modulations i've heard on recordings of the oversteps tour are insane. i'm pretty surprised to hear that it's all nord because i've heard textures that i thought were only achievable with something like an fs1r, really complex envelopes & rapid timbre changes. i'm wondering - do you ever have problems choking the midi bandwidth sending out so many parameters in realtime? does stuff ever drop-out live and you just sort of roll with it, or do you do extensive stress testing first to make sure all the params are making it to the synth?

sorry for the super technical question. have had problems with my g2 not catching everything when i'm sending it a lot of midi.

yeah the way i got round the (frankly laughable) baud rate was to quantise the continuous param changes to note starts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Flutter from Anti EP was made in protest against the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, right? A few questions about it : how did you have this idea to "inverse the codes" by making this non-repetitive beat? Also, you said that Flutter is playable at 45 or 33 rpm. How did you manage to create the track? It sound amazing at both speeds and I was wondering if you used a special technic to program it.

it was an obvious loophole, what can i say they had shit lawyers working on it

it was all programmed on an r8 using pads (incl the melodies)

When did your parents stop asking when you were going to get real jobs?

they never did, my folks were amazing, even when i dropped out of college to get a job (to buy gear) they were really supportive and just let me get on with it

what's going on in this photograph?

autechre-1.jpg

i'm really photosensitive

in fact tbh i should be wearing shades all the time, i just really don't wanna look like bono

edit: inb4 all the shoops of me looking like bono roll in

Edited by Sean Ae