IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Sean, Rob, are you spirituous or religious? Do you believe in some kind of elusive higher power?

Edited by Jev

what is your favorite piece of music by New Order ? for some reasons, i always considered Autechre, the ultimate manchester "thing", starting from Joy division, to New order, to 808 state to Ae.. Have you met them by the way ?

How need to do,in order for you to come to Russia?

whether you want to Russia?
If you have already scheduled visit , when?

I'm serious. have investors who are interested in your arrival and they ask what your requirements (fees, visa, accommodation, city)

sorry for my english.

can write to me personally.)

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY BUY OUR AE AFTER ONLY THREE POSTINGS

wait a minute,

HOW MUCH

lol

I've always really enjoyed your hip-hoppy stuff (recently, recks on, and the beat in deco Loc @ 2:00 is sick). Have you ever considered working with an emcee or doing a more focused hip-hop instrumental album?

Are there any hardware mods that you're particularly proud and/or fond of?

Have you ever messed around with renoise's API scripting feature?

In the past you expressed discomfort with not being in total control with regards to generative music. Have you changed your mind or have your methods/algorithms for making generative music changed?

cheers. yeah maybe sometime

i'm sure steve @ warp would love it if we did

yeah my 606 randomly swaps envs from sound to sound. i dunno how i did it either, some voodoo

no never

nah we never said that. iirc i said that there were always details we'd want to edit

the way we were working then was like, make an algorithm for each track, whereas since 2006 we worked on a more general system that we can expand as we go, and those kind of problems are solvable in the long term with that strategy

I'm serious. have investors who are interested in your arrival and they ask what your requirements (fees, visa, accommodation, city)

sorry for my english.

wait a minute,

HOW MUCH

lol

I guess it could be enough, but I would not want to know its origin...

Edited by Jev

So if I get it right you are more on the rap/hiphop side - did you enjoy Acid House back in those days? What about the big tunes, like Peter Ford?

Did you like LFO (the ones from Warp obviously)? Thank you.

what is your favorite piece of music by New Order ? for some reasons, i always considered Autechre, the ultimate manchester "thing", starting from Joy division, to New order, to 808 state to Ae.. Have you met them by the way ?

nah to be fair tho i reckon we prob started listening to electro the same time they did, except we were 11

we know 808 but not new order

So if I get it right you are more on the rap/hiphop side - did you enjoy Acid House back in those days? What about the big tunes, like Peter Ford?

Did you like LFO (the ones from Warp obviously)? Thank you.

yeah baby ford is top

yeah we liked acid a lot, in my case i liked it a lot more than other/prev house

sorry for my english.

wait a minute,

HOW MUCH

lol

InspecTr inb4 offering 5.06

My last question for today: You guys are not into classical music at all? Whatever era, I'm generalizing. Just curious. Because there's a whole world to offer in that department and you can believe me, the enthusiast classical listeners go crazy/insane/however:emotional while listening to their beloved pieces like other music listeners do. Because many people think its just boring, but its a similar statement like saying Ae is random sounds - utterly wrong.

Edited by Guest

do you like ween? it's 2 crazy musicians making a bunch of awesome tracks

I remember hearing an alternate version of Buckingham Green in one of the webcasts, so I'm guessing that one's a yes!

Have you guys done any coding in ChucK?

nah but i saw it years ago and it looked interesting iirc it was made for live coding, is that right? would prob appeal to me if so

Yeah you can queue up different bits of code on the fly. I just started checking it out last week, it seems pretty slick. I like how you approach time in it, you set up all the parameters then tell the compiler to pass chunks of time to let sound happen with that config. Kinda trippy, makes you think differently.

I was listening to Oversteps today and I was wondering - did you have specific patches for those tracks that would generate them in an ongoing way, so you could leave them open as long as you wanted and have the melodies keep varying? Or were the songs set up to go through a certain number of variations / loops and then end? I just imagine it would be so sweet to pop open a patch and have it play a couple hours of pt2ph8 while you're doing things around the house.

yeah exactly

the original takes are long as fuck. i was doing that most days, followed by loads of editing in the evenings

Do you find you make different amounts/types of music in Winter / Summer ?

tbh i havent noticed a difference in productivity levels, but mbe something about seasons with types. but i reckon its so marginal it would be noticeable.

Guest jasondonervan

Public Service Announcement: First 32 pages of AAA are transcripted here for your convenience, might save a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing... I would probably be updating it faster if Sean wasn't set to TURBO-ANSWER mode :watmm: Seriously, the man is a machine for answering everyone's questions! Not that we're complaining... :cool:

Will update with further Q&A as and when possible.

Ok one more thing, just because I would feel left out if I didn't....

Can you name my avatar? I've had him on here for about a year now, I glitch him up differently every now and then and I think he needs a name....

looks like he's being told off.

it should be a happy name….

sean u have good happy names today.

Guest 30equals

Public Service Announcement: First 32 pages of AAA are transcripted here for your convenience, might save a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing... I would probably be updating it faster if Sean wasn't set to TURBO-ANSWER mode :watmm: Seriously, the man is a machine for answering everyone's questions! Not that we're complaining... :cool:

Wicked! You didn't do this manually right ? I hope... :huh:

Wow its taken me a long while tonight to catch up on this thread, big respect for your efforts.

What did you guys make of the whole dubstep thing?

Did you like the "originators" or any particular producers or was it just all horrible?

Personally, I love (and still do) Shackleton, Appleblim, Gatekeeper (all the skull disco / applepips stuff), but thats about it. ital tek made amazingly deep tunes but I never realy considered his music dubstep and he has moved on greatly the past couple of years.

i started liking it when bass music happened and it got more subtle/refined (to me anyway), but dubstep was already done by then really

song mode on the elektrons - did you ever use it? or all patterns. it's quite fun but it took me a long time to get around to using it.

yeah - on LCC, that bit where the pattern starts repeating bits and then it snaps into being slower - the only time we ever used song mode

who 808s, yeah gerald briefly , graham toured the US and Japan with us 2008. not really met the spinmasters,

Cool but would it be possible to download it when its finished from somwhere else than google drive?

Ok one more thing, just because I would feel left out if I didn't....

Can you name my avatar? I've had him on here for about a year now, I glitch him up differently every now and then and I think he needs a name....

looks like he's being told off.

it should be a happy name….

sean u have good happy names today.

Ben Nevis

Basic Channel question - got massively in to them after you mentioned them in an interview a few years back, Phylyps "Trak" remains probably remains my favourite techno track as result - thanks a million!

Would you count their output from 93/94 as a big influence? Possibly on the Anti EP?

And on the topic of minimal techno - i remember you included "Rhythm of Vision" very briefly during your Oversteps webcast - Do you still keep up with Hood's releases? (Considering he's got a pretty sprawling discography at this stage.....)

Thanks a mil for all the posting today!

Edited by Sam

Cool but would it be possible to download it when its finished from somwhere else than google drive?

Guys, you should discuss this in the other thread really.

Guest 30equals

To me Chiastic Slide always feels like it's the odd one in the bunch. However it was my first encounter with AE, so it def has a special place.

But do you feel the same way ? Was there something different in your mindset when creating this album or...?

And for some reason this album reminds me of winter. Do you anticipate certain feelings/emotions listeners can have have while making a track ?

Guys, you should discuss this in the other thread really.

Sorry.