IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

That said, your good/evil thing is absolutely super-subjective.

Except for recks on of course. Shit is evil, man.

Man, Recks On is funky - the beat is too light (compared to Pen Expers for example) to be evil. But spl9 is definitely...mmm...intense and noisy :emotawesomepm9: .

But don't want to clutter this thread so.

Edited by Jev

Hey Rob,

I forgot to ask this essential question:

Do you already have a plan which countries to visit with the Exai tour (if there is the Exai tour)?

More specifically, anywhere in central Europe? Even more specifically the Czech Republic?

I know you were in Brno during the Oversteps tour but I don't know how successful it was for you and so if there's a possibility you would visit us again. I missed the show so I would love to have at least one more chance to experience your sonic-battering.

Thanks.

Brno was very successful imo. the place almost got trashed because we'd finished, wasn't acceptable.

Edited by Rob Ae

How do you feel the term 'incomplete without surface noise' holds up today?

Any stories or insight with Inhake 2? It's a personal fave and one of the few joyful sounding Ae tracks.

Rob what is the true number of North Face jackets?

Why wasn't 'We R Are Why' included with the EP box?

Why wasn't 'Skull Snap' given a digital release? Or am I missing the point of it?

Edited by YELLOW

hey there sorry multiple questions again
1. are you planning to release quaristice.quadrange and We R Are Why as CDs anytime time soon?
2.any memories of making gantz graf? anything you can tell us about making that track?
3.whats the deal with the near silence on most of your albums intro? something like a climax build up in a weird way?
4.are the hidden tracks on EP7 and LP5 titled? mind sharing the titles? if they don't have any care to make up someß
5.is oval moon (IBC mix) titlewise related to your pirate radio days? would you say it is from that era? sounds like it?
6.are you planning to do some more double albums in the near future? I really would like it

When doing a remix, do you prefer to work purely with the source material, or do you prefer to take a snippet and build up around it?

What is your favorite remix you have done? (mine is HIA - Conoid Tone)

I haven't read all the questions, so don't know if this has been asked (or answered) but

In your opinion why and how do you think music (making and appreciation) evolved in humans?

i had some (mayb too many) questions on page 67, seemed to have escaped notice, can they have a second look? really curious about these especially:

2. Sean, on Andrew Mckenzie's podcast you mentioned using phone apps like SunVox and Jasuto. Have you used these on any tracks you've released? Would you? Jasuto can do some mad things.

3. Which Tarkovsky films have you seen and which do you like best? I love them all but Mirror is a favorite, only slightly above Solaris/Stalker/Sacrifice. What do you think of Artemyev's soundtrack work?

4. I love mego too. What are your top mego albums?

6. Speaking of mego, do you also like fals.ch? Do you happen to have archived the free releases, my collection is missing some.. pm? Also what do you think of pxp - while(p){print"."," "x$p++} and Wavetrap stuff?

7. Do you like Popol Vuh? Which albums?

10. What's up with Xektes Sql - how was it made? I love it and it seems to be unique in your discog soundwise - more aquatic or submerged sounding.

yeah sorry,

2 - Sunvox yeah, i used it on a few tracks, one heavily, one thats out. jasuto i played with it, but not to recording ends.

3 - yeah haven't seen mirror, love solaris and stalker, artemyevs got that vibe i like with zoviet france, like an unfathomable compound effect from really simple elements. dirty but pure like good noise. stalker themes really TD ish tho', more direct worldly references.

7 - yeah haven't got much, love the werener herzog soundtracks. fully sheer breath hold while being gentle too.

10 - sort of some vapours from a track we were doing, turning out better than the track.

While working on an album, or when it finally comes out, do you regard one or several tracks as standout ones or they are all equal to you?

the stand outs change over the short term, and are settling over long term. sometimes a scenario will reshuffle it all now and then.

people are talking,

they're saying it's amazing how you guys can keep up with all these questions

ppl are saying that

you are like machines

are the questions really being answered by ae max patches that became so advanced that they captured your true essences, became self aware, and took over your computers? or maybe you plugged them into the ama to test them out?

*just sneaking in discreetely to bump my post back to the surface"

Greetings! Long time fan from Norway here. Big thanks to you guys for doing this, and of course thanks to watmm and Joyrex for making this happen! So some questions from the top of my mind (haven’t read through the whole thread so sorry if some have been asked earlier) So let’s jump straight in, shall we:

- Which book(s) are you currently reading (if any)? Are you mostly into fiction or do you read non-fiction as well, such as philosophy/science/documentary stuff etc?

- Any philosophers from any time period you are specifically into?

- Salvador Dali or M.C. Escher?

- Do any of you speak a foreign language? Do you know any phrases or longer sentences in Japanese?

- Are the chopped up robot sounding voices in Lentic Catachresis (sounds like a bunch of droids/machines/robots having some kind party, then it goes mental) sampled from any album or is it like field recorded samples? Have you ever used your own voices in any tracks (if yes, do you mind revealing which ones)? And who are the female voice used in Second Scepe?

- Did you sample any actual bell-like instrument for Parhelic Triangle? This track have so much substance, but yet a sense of creepy paranoia that I always get lost into it.. like I’m wandering around in a long dark corridor on some alien world with abandoned laboratories around me, where horrible experiments took place along time ago… and there’s some kind of lethal sentient entity (possible a result from one of those experiments) somewhere watching my steps…

I see films have been discussed in the thread so here are some film-related questions:

- Are you into Christopher Nolan’s films, like what do you think of Inception? And his revival of the Batman franchise? Opinions on Bane’s voice/accent?

- What do you think of Blomkamp’s last film, Elysium?

- What do you feel about R. Scott’s return to the Alien universe with Prometheus?

- Do you like Monty Python, and if yes, would you like to mention any favourite sketches?

- Who would win a match of pool (eight-ball, etc) between Sean and Rob? What about chess? Or othello (reversi)?

- Will you ever come back to Norway for a gig? I really enjoyed your set in Oslo during the Oversteps tour. If I’m not mistaken that was the first time you ever performed in Norway? How did you like the visit?

- Speaking of which… did you know that Pule actually means ”to f*ck” in Norwegian? (I really like the track btw, it has a feeling of rusty dryness to it, in a meditative calming way kind of)

Ok that was that! I really hope you’ll take your time to reply, but I see you have a hell of a job digging through all these posts!

(Oh and btw, I really appreciate your good sense of wit and irony you are expressing throughout this discussion! there seems to be a great vibe of light-heartedness going on between you guys and your fans!)

Cheers! :)

regards, Jan from Norway

oh and one more thing I wanted to ask: I was happy to discover that you included a few tracks by Yello in your Exai webcasts. Yello was the band who first triggered my music interest as a kid (when I for the first time saw the music video for rubberbandman on MTV, still remember it as it was yesterday.. ahh... memories... My friends thought my music taste was a bit strange. ah well anyway..)

Any favouroite albums/tracks by Meier and Blank? And any favourite music videoes? :) What do you think of their last album, Touch?

*sneaking out just as discreetely as I entered...*

...And a good example track is Second Peng - i hear something like evil insectoid alien swarms there!

Man, Second Peng is one of the most positive and most motivating tracks I have ever heard - a space highway really. That said, your good/evil thing is absolutely super-subjective.

first of all, i probably misspeeched and didn't mean that Second Peng is "evil", it has humor, enegry and "fun" to it, i mentioned is as an example of "speaking music" - it has it's "evil" vibe, but in a fun way

secondly i am not implying that my seeing is objective - my subjectiveness is the reason i asked this question to the authors of the subject.

yeah we get ya,

this kind of evil fun - he can see the insects clearly.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VJK5YpMLZY

Edited by Rob Ae

i got tons of files but i hate the stupid naming conventions

its all like, 'op 1576, movement 51, allegro con delicatessen' and shit

how are you meant to remember anything

LOL!

Altibzz 2:53 The Plc 4:17 IO 3:08 plyPhon 2:33 Perlence 3:25 SonDEremawe 1:21 Simmm 5:00 paralel Suns 3:03 Steels 2:56 Tankakern 3:39 rale 3:43 Fol3 3:47 fwzE 2:39 90101-5l-l 3:11 bnc Castl 2:52 Theswere 2:12 WNSN 4:57 chenc9 4:57 Notwo 5:34 Outh9X

7:15

lol

2d8.gif

Yeah, you're right, guess i'm stupid

Sean+Rob, am I stupid?

hey rob, i am not sure if my question was missed or just skipped it, but i was curious about the untilted writing period. your ep's are always so dope and perfect, why was there no ep for untilted?

...And a good example track is Second Peng - i hear something like evil insectoid alien swarms there!

Man, Second Peng is one of the most positive and most motivating tracks I have ever heard - a space highway really. That said, your good/evil thing is absolutely super-subjective.

first of all, i probably misspeeched and didn't mean that Second Peng is "evil", it has humor, enegry and "fun" to it, i mentioned is as an example of "speaking music" - it has it's "evil" vibe, but in a fun way

secondly i am not implying that my seeing is objective - my subjectiveness is the reason i asked this question to the authors of the subject.

yeah we get ya,

this kind of evil fun - he can see the insects clearly.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VJK5YpMLZY

great example

he feels great and having lots of fun, that's for sure

How tall are you both?

like combined?

If I had a picture of you like one next to the other standing very straight, I could calculate the height of both of you based on that info., but I haven´t.

No, not combined. Ha, I mean, I didn't want to know this, but is Sean short or are you tall?

How do you feel the term 'incomplete without surface noise' holds up today?

Any stories or insight with Inhake 2? It's a personal fave and one of the few joyful sounding Ae tracks.

Rob what is the true number of North Face jackets?

Why wasn't 'We R Are Why' included with the EP box?

Why wasn't 'Skull Snap' given a digital release? Or am I missing the point of it?

- yeah totally, wax sounds amazing. although theres a unpredictable side to it i.e. the fingerprint each persons' deck, stylus, weight combination has a very personal effect on their memory of the music as its heard. not necessarily just limited to 'physical' formats, radio too.

saying that, we've been close to giving up on physicals sometimes just cos the manufacturers can get it so fkin wrong these days without being scrutinised at every single step.

-

- including the wife's?, ermm...

- cos it was mail order only iirc

- cos they're total gibbers mostly.

Edited by Rob Ae

It's pretty well-known that you guys use MAX. I was wondering what some of the other languages you guys use are.

I'm a Linux head and tend to fiddle around with PD when I'm not using Renoise.

Hey Rob,

I forgot to ask this essential question:

Do you already have a plan which countries to visit with the Exai tour (if there is the Exai tour)?

More specifically, anywhere in central Europe? Even more specifically the Czech Republic?

I know you were in Brno during the Oversteps tour but I don't know how successful it was for you and so if there's a possibility you would visit us again. I missed the show so I would love to have at least one more chance to experience your sonic-battering.

Thanks.

Brno was very successful imo. the place almost got trashed because we'd finished, wasn't acceptable.

So you are basically saying "yeah, we will definitely come this tour again, we will maybe even tour three to four Czech cities". Cool!

Seriously, how satisfied with the Czech Republic you were here? No problems with people and services compared to UK?