IGNORED

Rare sealed Aphex vinyl... Would you open it?

J3FF3R00

I'm leaning toward not opening it.

I've had the cd for about 18 years now (Jesus Christ) and I practically have it memorized, so I don't exactly need to listen to it. I just bought it because I thought I deserved it more than whoever else would buy it.

My question is, what's the argument for not opening it? Is it going to be worth more sealed one day?

I've had the cd for about 18 years now (Jesus Christ) and I practically have it memorized, so I don't exactly need to listen to it. I just bought it because I thought I deserved it more than whoever else would buy it.

My question is, what's the argument for not opening it? Is it going to be worth more sealed one day?

I think sealed is always valued higher as it is a guaranteed perfectly mint condition, and also usually quite rare to find old stuff still packaged. Plus some collector will get his rocks off at the thought of splitting that virgin plastic seal, or perhaps staring at it thinking about what it might smell like inside. Personally, I like the idea of having things of this nature around as sort of pieces of fine art. Once they are used they become a functional device rather than something to be fawned over.

I think sealed is always valued higher as it is a guaranteed perfectly mint condition [...]

There's no way to determine the condition of sealed records, and no guarantee that it will be anywere near mint. You might find someone willing to pay lots for factory-sealed stuff but they are taking a gamble.

Of course if you open it and it's in bad shape you've lost the opportunity to sell it on its 'potential' value, but whatever. Records are meant to be played. You can always demote it to collector's item status after you find out it's crap at its intended purpose.

I think sealed is always valued higher as it is a guaranteed perfectly mint condition [...]

There's no way to determine the condition of sealed records, and no guarantee that it will be anywere near mint. You might find someone willing to pay lots for factory-sealed stuff but they are taking a gamble.

Of course if you open it and it's in bad shape you've lost the opportunity to sell it on its 'potential' value, but whatever. Records are meant to be played. You can always demote it to collector's item status after you find out it's crap at its intended purpose.

thanks for pointing out the obvious.

I think sealed is always valued higher as it is a guaranteed perfectly mint condition, and also usually quite rare to find old stuff still packaged. Plus some collector will get his rocks off at the thought of splitting that virgin plastic seal, or perhaps staring at it thinking about what it might smell like inside. Personally, I like the idea of having things of this nature around as sort of pieces of fine art. Once they are used they become a functional device rather than something to be fawned over.

what world do you live in where every sealed record is in perfectly mint condition, and how can I get there?

Archived