IGNORED

Jazz Pianist Vijay Iyer Reviews Tomorrow's Harvest

Nebraska

Huh!? You start off with giving him academic credentials when talking about music, but when he talks about TH you discredit his opinion because he has no connection with the album? He is an academic, right? You wouldn't argue that a doctor should only treat people he's familiar with too, right?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I respect the guy for his academic writings but not for this particular record critique.

Well, a doctor should only treat people's diseases he's qualified for or fall under his area of expertise.

Academia is what killed jazz.

Musicians should dip into academia only as skeptical outsiders keen on learning some tricks but then leave promptly, hopefully unscathed by its sterility and dogma.

Many of my friends entered Berklee as feral artists and came out as career-minded technicians, their punk playfulness replaced by OCD-grade adherence to tradition.

I bet he only wrote the review to include this little section that shows his jazz pianist cleverness.

"The tracks are dressed up in a lot of ponderous synth pads, synth melodies, synth arpeggios, synth ostinati, synth wind. A lot of chord progressions that oscillate slowly from a minor tonic to the major seven chord built on its sixth, "

I bet he only wrote the review to include this little section that shows his jazz pianist cleverness.

"The tracks are dressed up in a lot of ponderous synth pads, synth melodies, synth arpeggios, synth ostinati, synth wind. A lot of chord progressions that oscillate slowly from a minor tonic to the major seven chord built on its sixth, "

It's funny to hear someone like him try to explain BoC chord progressions and completely miss the point.

Let met say again that there is nothing disappointing about TH, and if you are disappointed in it you are just not open enough. You are failing yourself.

It's funny to hear someone like him try to explain BoC chord progressions and completely miss the point.

that's exactly what i meant. in particular with this section, he is just showing off.

that's exactly what i meant. in particular with this section, he is just showing off.

As someone who is interested in both music theory and grammar, I don't understand whose sixth he is referring to by "its."

As someone who is interested in both music theory and grammar, I don't understand whose sixth he is referring to by "its."

As someone who share shares your interests,

Grammatically: I agree that I'm not sure what the antecedent to "its" is. Structurally, in that clause, the "sixth" is possessed by "the major seven chord," which has a 1, M3, 5, M7, but no 6.

Musically: I think it is some vague neapolitan inversion reference but I'm not even sure. The major seven chord as a general term? The major seven chord relative to aeolian? Which one? There are 2 pure M7 chords in the minor scale, ionian and lydian.

The chord that does appear often is the diminished seventh, relative to major- Reach for the Dead, Sick Times, Come to Dust- but I don't know how to apply what he said to that observation.

Grammatically: I agree that I'm not sure what the antecedent to "its" is. Structurally, in that clause, the "sixth" is possessed by "the major seven chord," which has a 1, M3, 5, M7, but no 6.

Musically: I think it is some vague neapolitan inversion reference but I'm not even sure. The major seven chord as a general term? The major seven chord relative to aeolian? Which one? There are 2 pure M7 chords in the minor scale, ionian and lydian.

The chord that does appear often is the diminished seventh, relative to major- Reach for the Dead, Sick Times, Come to Dust- but I don't know how to apply what he said to that observation.

These little moments are why I love this place. Thanks, guys.

These little moments are why I love this place. Thanks, guys.

I think the sixth actually refers to the tonic, so maybe he's talking about a Cm - AM7 progression... the major seventh built on the tonic's sixth.

lol "pretty good" aka pianist for clodplay

sounds like music in a loading screen in the sims. or what would play in the mind of a sentient toyota prius.

:lol:

I think the sixth actually refers to the tonic, so maybe he's talking about a Cm - AM7 progression... the major seventh built on the tonic's sixth.

That could be. The chord progressions do move from an aeolian triad to a lydian M7, but that is just in passing and is not the main thing going on, so it's kind of a stupid observation, like saying "lots of 16th notes and 4/4 time signatures."

one of the douchiest reviews i've ever read. early BoC reminds him of music played in Urban Outfitters? yeah ... name-checking Howard Roark is super-classy as well. this guy knows nothing about BoC's music, no real appreciation of it.

edit: the obviously-self-written bio is hilarious. he won the "“quintuple crown” in the DownBeat International Critics Poll, the Doris Duke Performing Artist Award and the Greenfield Prize, all awarded in 2012." maybe he doesn't know what the word quintuple means? plus, what the fuck are any of those things?

Archived