IGNORED

modular synth > multi-track

Guest chunky

Topic: Multi track timing (phrase length and sync)

What phrase lengths in seconds are EKTers using for multitrack recording? 10 seconds? 20 seconds? 50 seconds? Even with an Atari I notice tracks

of 5 minutes length tend to drift a lot over time. Where's the timing sweet spot for multitracked phrases?

This track was 50 second length phrases. 16 bars @ 75bpm. There are a lot of off beat sound effects too that are not supposed to be on beat. Thanks for pointing it out, want to consider this topic

So you're making each section and layer separately and then dubbing them into the track?

I suppose the thing is not so much the length of the phrases but the accuracy of whatever is creating the tempo - if it's not accurate, then shorter segments would correct the drift more often. An Atari probably drifts because it is keeping time using clock cycles.

I don't know what modular synth you're using, but I wonder if there's a way to record a clock signal onto a track to use for syncing the subsequent layers or some device than could produce a consistent clock signal. An Atari might be difficult to sync in that way though (unless the Atari were producing the clock signal that everything else is synced to - I'm guessing though).

Someone else would know more about modular synths and synchronisation than me - maybe ZoeB - she does modular stuff

Roland MPU 101 midi to cv

Yamaha UX 16 usb to midi

Fenix modular

will come back with photos and the multitrack files in case anyone wants to look through it

Archived