IGNORED

do you think this is racism?

Ivan Ooze

I watched it without sound in class, and the blackface was kind of an offensive aspect, but otherwise they portrayed a whole bunch of stereotypes.

I don't think it's worthy of being banned.

i had the same reaction. i've seen far more offensive cartoons than this by Disney and Warner Brothers in terms of racism.

a lot of famous characters would be considered offensive by today's standards specifically:

speedy-gonzales.jpg

less so but still pretty crass:

Snagglepuss.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nah, that cartoon wasn't racist. it made fun of everyone and didn't imply that one race was superior to another, just that they're all goofy in their own way

banning old media never solved anyone's problems anyway

The first bit after being coloured black with ink was an impression of the Ink Spots I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6vqPUM_FE

hey, what a coincidence, I've had this song stuck in my head all day. that and If I Didn't Care. I love The Ink Spots.

that's all, really.

Question: is this racist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKkuMDlIq0

Are you serious? I mean, I don't believe in censorship, as awareness helps with these issues, and censorship as historical revisionism just enables ignorance.

But, this kind of blanket statement is just using one individual of a minority to represent all people from that minority group, and that is way more of a dangerous and potentially damaging form of stereotyping than tropes like blackface in this day and age, and is a really negative mindset.

Not serious. But if we took a poll, then what?

I think it's important to remember that everything can be considered offensive or racist as long as you look for it long enough. That's why it'd be better if we just erased all things historical and/or cultural from before the year 2000. Burn it all on a big bonfire of world peace.

I think it's important to remember that everything can be considered offensive or racist as long as you look for it long enough. That's why it'd be better if we just erased all things historical and/or cultural from before the year 2000. Burn it all on a big bonfire of world peace.

But have you ever heard the saying "those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it"?

But have you ever heard the saying "those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it"?

No, and I doubt that's true. If we get rid of all evidence of what happened, future generations won't have a clue. World peace for all of eternity is pretty much guaranteed.

No, and I doubt that's true. If we get rid of all evidence of what happened, future generations won't have a clue. World peace for all of eternity is pretty much guaranteed.

Whitewash it all, huh. You know there's still plenty of bad shit that's happened in the last 13 years tho, right?

Whitewash it all, huh. You know there's still plenty of bad shit that's happened in the last 13 years tho, right?

Sure, but the internet and all makes it a bit tough to get rid of all the potentially offensive material. We could censor the internet of course. For world peace and universal understanding. You think that would work?

shit like this makes me seriously consider forced racial intermarriages.

race needs to die, once and for all. fucking christ this shit needs to stop.

Yes, I am taking a Maoist bio-political approach. We fucking forfeited any sort of right to genetic "purity" a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. End it. Breed it out.

The funny thing is it's going to happen whether you like it or not. I just think it needs to happen sooner. The sooner we have trouble figuring out what "race" means other than a historical sense, the better.

I don't think we should deny or try to bury the truth tho. Personally I'd rather be aware of the terrible truth than live thru life in denial. Maybe there's some famous quote for that, but I can't think of any off hand.

I don't believe in a perfect world, but I do believe in learning from our past mistakes and trying to improve our ways of life as a result.

Sorry, were we talking about old racist cartoons?

My 2 cts: I often find it ironical when someone explicitly states he/she is not a racist/ homophobic/mysoginyst/fat people hater because he/she tolerates those people. Completely unaware that people can still be completely racist/homophobic/whatever even though they honestly tolerate them.

A lack of tolerance is only one possible aspect of racism, and being tolerant does not grant some magical key to not being racist. The thing that some superficial aspects of people (their looks) implies some other stuff (the typical black momma as a nanny, the way she speaks, the way she looks, and less explicit her place in some society and her implied options in that society) is a form of stereotyping. This form of stereotyping becomes, imo, only a problem when opposite stereotypes are unavailable. So, stereotyping on itself is not the issue, if you ask me. Because that's just a part of being human. People who don't accept that, should stop going to movies altogether, because any actor playing whatever role, acts some sort of stereotype by definition.

Stereotyping becomes a serious issue when there are no more checks and balances, and people with some of those stereotypical traits grow up in a place where they are implicitly told who they are based on some scarily superficial traits. And the odd thing is, that to some extent, everyone has personally dealt with similar shit (often because parents can stereotype their children), so you would expect more people to be sensitive for issues like racism. Reality is a bit different.

Also, marlon brando made some good points in this interview, imo.

just to be clear on previous statements, im not in favor of any race. I despise race as a concept and idea. I don't give a flying fuck about its originality or claim to a rich heritage or biological advantage pseudo science bullshit. It needs to end, permenantly.

I'm not going to argue about race as a social construct vs. biological definitions, I want it to die a horrible, horrible death. The complete eradication of race would make me an incredibly happy man.

If I could, I'd institute mandatory fucking someone outside of your "racial delineation" if you wanted to have children. Any whites with white babies or Africans with African babies, you can fuck right off and toss those embryos in the trash. We have seriously forfeited our moral and ethical claim to regional homogeneity on completely abstract shallow crap charges.

End race. Kill race. Race must die a horrible, horrible death.

im drunk

By race I hope you don't the homo sapiens species. But the idea of ethnic exceptionalism is an increasingly outdated one I think, so yes, I do agree that it has to go.

no, not the ACTUAL, true meaning of race. I mean the bullshit.

We have forfeited our right to color. It matters no longer what "color" started it, color needs to be erased. Ethnic heritage can still be celebrated, but the "color" needs to forever be eradicated. Im so fucking tired of this, and this truly would be the only way it will end.

the greatest part of this to me, is that its INEVITABLE YOU DUMB COCKSUCKASS!!!!! LOL ITS GONNA BE OVER SOON ENOUGH!!

Embarrassing debates about whether stuff makes you racist for MOST IDM!

your privilege will end in a few generations, regardless of whether your prick works or not.

look forward to the singularity!

My prediction: there's not going to be a kurzweilian singularity for a long time, even when taking his argument of exponential development in regards.

The simple reason is that we still don't understand the concept of intelligence and some kind of moores law is not going to save us.

My prediction: there's not going to be a kurzweilian singularity for a long time, even when taking his argument of exponential development in regards.

The simple reason is that we still don't understand the concept of intelligence and some kind of moores law is not going to save us.

saving means nothing.

it will happen. or we die. im good with either circumstance.

Archived