IGNORED

explain trance to me

Salvatorin

So basically the american EDM revolution of the 2010's is powered by a super-refined formula of dutch progressive trance. It's pretty awful. But it had to start somewhere. I've looked a little into it and it seems that trance kind of evolved out of electronic kosmische krautrock meeting disco beats. Some of you must know what the good trance was all about. Educate me. I mean I can easily do it myself, but I'd like to see what gems ooze out of the woodwork...wait why would gems ooze out of the woodwork? That doesn't make any sense.

I'm guessing this is some good old guard trance

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wondered this too. I could never quite get into subgenres like Goa either.

(My entry into electronic music was listening to late 90s UK big beat and French house in 2003/2004 so I was a bit mystified that Tiesto, Van Dyk, Van Buuren, Sasha, Oakenfold, etc. were all "top DJs." Besides getting really drunk and seeing Oakenfold DJ (my then roommate was a big fan) I've never really enjoyed it).

I can see how the epic synths were more appealing than prog house though, and there are some guilty pleasures I have from back then...

But it had to start somewhere. I've looked a little into it and it seems that trance kind of evolved out of electronic kosmische krautrock meeting disco beats.

I'd like to know more about what was made between this:

http://youtu.be/hirIgRD8Rnc

and this:

Some other songs wikipedia mentioned:

I thought the latest "EDM" craze in the States came from dubstep becoming brostep.

As to gems out of woodwork...it's basically carbon and enough heat and pressure gives you diamonds. It makes sense.

and this is why I hired you as my senior advisor

To me, the best trance is about being a tribe of one and creating Consciousness itself, in a forest made of crystals and light particles, in a massive tunnel, in outer space; millions of years into the future, millions of years into the past.

Aw, I remember this one.

It's been a long time since I last listened to this stuff so I can't really remember anything right now. I was more into the newer stuff anyway, so I'm not even sure you'd like it anyway, Salva.

What a useless post :,< I'm so sorry.

The Watmm Horror Movie Thread IDM equivalent of Trance is this album.

Horror trance. Lots of John Carpenter and David Lynch samples. Lovely stuff.

This one especially - Lost Highway fans, enjoy.

I used to begrudge waiting through 5 minutes of single note bassline buildups so I once made a "sweet spot" mix of nothing but badass trance breakdowns. I'll post it when I get home. Or I might PM instead because trance hostility is high at WATMM.

no way, post it!

jesus...you guys (apart from xxx who kinda knows what's up, although fuck knows what that vincent de moor shit is meant to be apart from a cheesy commercial pop song)... here is some proper trance that's like, you know, alright. decent, original trance is actually good. what's all this fucking chart music everyone's posted?

[youtubehd]QH3LQ12o7ag[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]X0lT082reCI[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]yjDM6JJe6-E[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]uQ4GwmF1uP0[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]szhBEwzCp6w[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]xzG9gxOvzBU[/youtubehd]

For me trance kinda spawned from the more upbeat ambient techno (Age of Love, Cygnus X) which then split into two, Goa Trance (later Psytrance) for the old hippes who liked to dance for free in muddy fields and the more commercial trance anthems for clubs when Paul Van Dykes 'For an Angel' Robert Miles 'Children', Faithless ect had massive commercial success. Follwing this you also had Sasha/Digweed pioneering a slightly more refined progressive trance that was a little less cheesy. Both avenues of 'trance' really haven't progressed musically since around 1999 imho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_RW1YqK60

after this Tiesto came along and the rest was frozen in history

another opinion....

Bleep 165 The Roots of Trance

fuck all that shit... this is a proper trance mix:

[youtubehd]2ZiB893Jcac[/youtubehd]

anything by paul fucking oakenfold, fucking sasha, fucking digweed, fucking paul van dyk, fucking BT (seriously?? BT??), or anything else featuring a picture of some smug cunt's face on the front is pop music. don't listen to it, it's not trance.

My brother and I both grew up on Trance. Very special place in my heart.

I remember listening to this song in the parking lot of Luby's with my brother when it came out. We were awestruck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCLc9oTmjH4

2:00 is that part that got me.

This was also when we started listening to Daft Punk - Discovery, and also, maybe before or after, we played loads of MTV Music Generator because my brother's friend had it and was all into DJing and got magazine subscriptions about it when he was like 8.

We also played tons of Bust a Groove around that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz9s5X7sHdg&list=PLRvILttGwoogEh-j8NfOklgghtfkufsYx

DDR era trance is amazing, and there was also house/techno on that game.

We called it Techno, but most of the music we were listening to was Trance.

And of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujKRFbPYUmM

Some call sandstorm techno but it's pretty obviously trance.

^

not trance in any way. pop music made by smug cunts for ego and money.

i'm going to keep fucking banging on about this until the message gets home. the first track has a fucking donk on it for fuck's sake.

fuck you lot i'm going to fucking bed.

last post.

Nothing worse than using my computer and scrolling past a bunch of youtubes

anyway, disc 2 of Sasha+digweed's communicate is the way to go. it's a great album in itself, up there with the underworlds and chemical brotherses and leftfields of the world.

but even if you don't like it, it's undeniable that it really genuinely is the single greatest album to jog or workout to possibly in existence. and that isn't hyperbole or anything, I discovered this the other day. nothing else even comes close.

still, while it is mixing and dancing, and loops, you must realize that they elevate an often cheesy artform to something much more complex emotionally... basically, it's just really cool. it's like future sound of london or the orb, and i believe it contains tracks by one or both of them. it's just really good music idk... i always think that other things labeled trance will compare, but they don't. it's a completely different league, not ambient or atmospheric per se (though it is- those terms turn me off personally).. just more creative, trance enducing, deep, imaginative, and adventure/journey enhancing. as awesome as most general rave and techno from the time is, communicate is more purely loop based, something that I don't think is a problem at all when its carried out with imagination. nothing else I've heard quite takes the idea of a mix, or journey, or gradual change, and does it so well. man, some of richie hawtin's solo stuff really sucks in that regard imo, no imagination. just loops. digweed+friends take the loop and turn it into something else, a huge swishing machine that gets built and dismantled, it makes your brain fire off and want to move, adrenaline, but always with the ever present mentality of mental expansion.

FUCK SASHA

FUCK DIGWEED
FUCK YOU FUCKING IDIOTS WHO HAVE ABOUT AS MUCH CLUE WHAT TRANCE IS AS MY FUCKING GRAN

IF YOU DO ONE THING THIS WEEK, LISTEN TO THE TRACKS/MIX I POSTED, ENLIGHTEN YOURSELVES AND HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME.

Archived