IGNORED

explain trance to me

Salvatorin

Another thing I'll say is that trance is pretty fucking different aesthetically from techno and house. Remember that. It's more widescreen, about big mental journeys. I won't say any more about that because I'm just realizing now that I should really listen to more trance.

I think my problem is that I always hated having to sort through it all and find my favorite mixes and whatever. And since there is so much, and since a lot of it is repetitive, it can be boring and hard to find stuff.

The way to solve this is to listen to it while doing other things. It's a commitment. Unlike techno and house where there are often favorite tracks, much of trance is about the entire scope. You have to listen through the whole thing. I might start listening to different mixes while doing homework or something.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fuck all that shit... this is a proper trance mix:

[youtubehd]2ZiB893Jcac[/youtubehd]

anything by paul fucking oakenfold, fucking sasha, fucking digweed, fucking paul van dyk, fucking BT (seriously?? BT??), or anything else featuring a picture of some smug cunt's face on the front is pop music. don't listen to it, it's not trance.

dude I had loads of this back in the day too and no one called it trance, this sounds more like acid techno to me

that's because you and whoever you hung around with obviously had no idea what constituted proper trance and bought into a load of inane commercial drivel you heard on the radio. wise up.

that's because you and whoever you hung around with obviously had no idea what constituted proper trance and bought into a load of inane commercial drivel you heard on the radio. wise up.

I hear you man, I had the same problem with people co-opting dubstep as a term, a descriptor, and a genre concept...until I just gave up. History is made to seem unfair.

There are people who know the truth, they just aren't the majority. Futility is the answer. It's ok to give up and tune out.

I greattly appreciate the tracks you posted too, that's what I was hoping to get from the thread.

vamos, you're a total fool and have proved it with your last post.

joshuatx - legend mate *high five*

before I do give up and tune out I will say that proper trance will very likely be from '93 - '95, probably german, belgian or french and probably on either harthouse records, rising high records or fnac records. anyone who really wants to find out about, and listen to some very good music that used to be called trance (before the term was hijacked by awful commercial dance) would do well to search for stuff that meets the above criteria.

You assume too much here my good friend sure I had many precious white label mix tapes around 93-95 from the likes of Colin Dale, Frank De Wulf, Dave Angle, CJ Bolland, Dave Clarke, Billy Nasty, Sven Vath ect and no one called it 'trance' its was all called techno or retrospectively speaking 'acid techno' or 'ambient techno'.

The common commercial brand label of 'trance' came along from the Ibiza club scene and the likes of the Platypus, Dragonfly ect labels which evolved in to the shallow and superficial fairground attraction it is today.

The goa/psytrance thing has remained a faceless stagnant underground for newbie hippes imho.

flol. sure, your stuff is OG and whatever but did it cross your mind that shit changes and morphs. at any given point digweed and friends were doing something just as new as the people playing with 303s were doing. it all comes from what came before. maybe giorgio moroder thought acid trance was sellout shit. it's all relative. within every scene there are conformists. its all geological. so for such a fan of forward thinking shit ud think u might not be such a conformist to what other people say. i mean, i can read ishkurs guide too. i still think communicate is cool and good music. its pop, sure. so what. listen to Narcotic by Mainline. it was made in 1997 when people didn't want to keep making acid trance over and over. and yes, it was popular. so the fuck what. it's imaginative. conformity by any other face, always worthless.

vamos, you're a total fool and have proved it with your last post.

joshuatx - legend mate *high five*

before I do give up and tune out I will say that proper trance will very likely be from '93 - '95, probably german, belgian or french and probably on either harthouse records, rising high records or fnac records. anyone who really wants to find out about, and listen to some very good music that used to be called trance (before the term was hijacked by awful commercial dance) would do well to search for stuff that meets the above criteria.

Let me break it down for you a bit more.

Salvatorin started this thread because he was having a sort of existential crisis at the realization that trancy stabs and kicks are in mainstream music right now across the board. I never claimed that Darude or PPK are OG -- of course it was pop -- but pop used to be good. The fact that Trance is literally the formula for Will I am hits today is unfathomable. So Darude and PPK are definitely preferable to whatever piece of crap top 40 you can think of right now.

Just because you were already as cynical in 1999 as I am now doesn't mean that I wasn't having a genuine experience when I was 11 years old listening to Sandstorm. It was mainstream then, but I didn't grow up in the UK where they give out mixes on your way out of the toilet, I grew up in the sprawled out suburbia of San Antonio, where the best place that I could possibly interface with music that was different than 90's alternative was the radio, and it took probably 2-3 years for that to filter over from the UK. Sound Warehouse was the most legit place to buy music near me, and the first time I listened to something close to when it came out was when I bought Discovery from there, and that was literally the best CD anyone had within a 30 mile radius.

So while you were crying in 2002 because Airdrawndagger was killing "real trance" from ca 93-95, I was just starting to listen to PPK whenever I happened to catch it on the radio. There was ZERO electronic scene where I grew up. Even though the tracks I posted are not OG trance mix material, they are far more innovative than the the trancestep music that is playing in every single H&M on the planet at this very moment.

Not everyone has the same perspective as you do, and you shouldn't assume that just because I am posting here that I am trying to lay some kind of claim to trance, or to say that "I was there!" It's just that those are truly the first tracks that got me into electronic music.

anything by paul fucking oakenfold, fucking sasha, fucking digweed, fucking paul van dyk, fucking BT (seriously?? BT??), or anything else featuring a picture of some smug cunt's face on the front is pop music. don't listen to it, it's not trance.

Hmm, proper trance, so that means this is trance too?

Honestly, if you are speaking from the standpoint of objective sonority analysis, shedding all scenester angst, that mix you posted is arguably MUCH closer to early HARD STYLE diversions. It's sonority has much more in common with that than a lot of the melodic stuff that that vast majority of people think of when they think of trance. I'm not saying that you are wrong, I know you were "there," I'm just saying by ear alone, like if you compared them with an algorithm, it would fall on that side.

Also, I think I found a way to inject some antimatter and eradicate this whole thread:

jesus...you guys (apart from xxx who kinda knows what's up, although fuck knows what that vincent de moor shit is meant to be apart from a cheesy commercial pop song)... here is some proper trance that's like, you know, alright. decent, original trance is actually good. what's all this fucking chart music everyone's posted?

[youtubehd]QH3LQ12o7ag[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]X0lT082reCI[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]yjDM6JJe6-E[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]uQ4GwmF1uP0[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]szhBEwzCp6w[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]xzG9gxOvzBU[/youtubehd]

woah man I love this. so euphoric! I'm working on blender 3d models right now and this music just pumps me up.

Hmm, proper trance, so that means this is trance too?

Honestly, if you are speaking from the standpoint of objective sonority analysis, shedding all scenester angst, that mix you posted is arguably MUCH closer to early HARD STYLE diversions. It's sonority has much more in common with that than a lot of the melodic stuff that that vast majority of people think of when they think of trance. I'm not saying that you are wrong, I know you were "there," I'm just saying by ear alone, like if you compared them with an algorithm, it would fall on that side.

Also, I think I found a way to inject some antimatter and eradicate this whole thread:

Hard style did come out of trance though. It was basically Gabber + Trance, but most of the time for me it misses what is good about both of them

90's stuff was just called Trance back then but tends to be labelled hard trance or acid trance if you are looking for it now-a-days and I agree it shits on the more commercial stuff that came later

Early 90s trance is ok, after that meh. Oh, yes, and I was a teenager in the 90s so that might explain something. Dance 2 Trance's Moon Spirits was one of the first electronic music albums I bought..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j66NvwgTBTU

Also Juno Reactor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeD-hpqaDfk

is this racist?

Nah, lame name coupled with the common assumption gabber is listened to by facists (which btw - how overblown is that? it seems to be a pretty small facet of hardcore techno in reality but I was wondering if any WATMMers know more specifics)

This isn't racist but lyrically it's comically heavy on that blissfully ignorant vibe that was so common in early 90s "world music" - this is a Pow-Wow beat sample short of being on a CD you'd see for sale at a Sante Fe gift shop.

Archived