IGNORED

explain trance to me

Salvatorin

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ps: if you like playing these kind of bits on vinyl, if you pitch this saintly creation all the way down to -8&half (ie: maxed) you can just get it to about 125bpm which is the upper limit for personal taste

http://www.discogs.com/Perry-Rhodan-The-Beat-Just-Goes-Straight-On-On/release/4837

ppss - let the girl's vocal play for a min when she gets gowing, cos thats the hook,,,,

Posted this track at some other place where trance was being discussed. Got bitched around for calling it trance, I remember. It didn't fit the template of the modern trance. This was supposed to be techno.

Shit, to me '93 was the best trance year. Most good trance records i remember are from those days. Must be a growing up kind of thing though.

'93 is a mythical year to me in general... so often I look up some old tunes I loved, and they are from specifically 93. in general, 93-95 has an absurd proportion of my favorite music.

Part of this is simply due to my age back then. However, I think some objectively interesting things were happening then. It was still a time of great optimism (the west in general seemed positive after the fall of the berlin wall and all that?). Also, computers/internet were getting very exciting for people other than experts, and it was around than that an analog->digital transition started to happen and there was both the expertise of analog and the excitement of the new thing... interesting times...

anybody familiar with the synth techniques used in late 90s/early 00s psytrance? I always assumed producers like Hux Flux /Logic Bomb had mastered the Virus synthesizer sound, but im not so sure now after having used one a little bit. Anybody have any idea?

They sound like the same type of synth crackly sounds post jock drum and bass and brostep people adopted later on heavily, but better and less cheesy to me.

another example:

• 3 weeks later...

Always surprised to psy appreciation on WATMM. Anyone here heard of Schlabbaduerst Rekkords? Its a Swedish label releasing 'forest goatrance' with industrial overtones. Some really great music on there.

Lab Manifesto

Schlabbaduerst-style music making:
1. We dont give a shit about clean sounds, we´re not fucking Toto (ewww...), we´re punk rock!
2. We do care for psychedelic and weird sounds. Strongly.
3. Sometimes we use mastering as a way to destroy the sound even more. We intend to destroy all sonic systems.
4. Sometimes we dont bother to clean the samples. A little extra hiss in the background is just psychedelic. = Yes we are lazy.
5. Bah!
6. Most sounds do have a thought behind, its probably supposed to sound the way it sounds.
7. If you think it doesnt sound right, thats probably what we wanted to achieve.
8. If you think it doesnt sound proper or nice, thats definitely what we wanted to achieve.
9. We dont elaborate, we do what we feel like doing.
10. The lust for destruction can be a creative lust.
11. After destroying, build things up again.
12. Thank you, please come again.

anybody know if video exists of any mid 90s good/dark psytrance producers showing off their studio behind the scenes? Im ultra curious what kind of setups these people had. My suspicion is that psytrance people were some of the most eager to adopt a hybrid DAW/hardware synth workflow before the popularity of programs like Live. Arguably some of the older Goatrance stuff like Cosmosis is among some of the most complicated hardware only synth music out of the entire 90s rave scene.
Also there was a weird era of DIY synth makers on the internet way before Eurorack and modular synth stuff took off again, a lot of DIY or kit builders were only fucking making goatrance and trance, it was truly the weirdest thing ever.

anybody know if video exists of any mid 90s good/dark psytrance producers showing off their studio behind the scenes? Im ultra curious what kind of setups these people had. My suspicion is that psytrance people were some of the most eager to adopt a hybrid DAW/hardware synth workflow before the popularity of programs like Live. Arguably some of the older Goatrance stuff like Cosmosis is among some of the most complicated hardware only synth music out of the entire 90s rave scene.

Also there was a weird era of DIY synth makers on the internet way before Eurorack and modular synth stuff took off again, a lot of DIY or kit builders were only fucking making goatrance and trance, it was truly the weirdest thing ever.

I dunno about video, but mos def agree with you on the DIY and complex hardware aspect. If you were on digitalhell or analogue heaven mailing lists in the late 90s there was a shit ton of psy/goa being pumped out (much of it was not great though, let's be honest).

But I would kill to see Eat Static's studio (for example)

the goa/psy sound was totally dominant in any DIY/high level custom analog synth communities on the internet for a while. Which is part of why I find it incredibly strange that 'serious' electronic musicians write off the entire world of psy as some kind of silly hippy joke. I mean granted I could understand part of the backlash, but the people making this stuff especially during this time were very very skilled producers, and even the indie people you're talking about who would make crappy music were still doing stuff that most electronic producers today woul have a hard time with (CV voltage controlled setups with 5-6 layers of synth work running through hardware effects)

Yah, you know something's up when a lot of electronic music feels of the same family, and then trance (mostly goa/psy) feels like it's on its own island. I thought about this for awhile, ages ago, and it's almost like some early house track had such a hard drop, that trance just sprung off into its own species of electronic music.

Only in recent times did I finally "get" trance CD cover art. A few years ago I was helping with and doing booths at spiritual/healing fairs, and I realized that most everyone's CDs, books, and signs, had shitty artwork/design. And then I realized it wasn't really shitty. If you look at the art from juuust the right angle, it all makes sense that- that is exactly what kind of mindset they're in. Those overtly spiritual peoples' cover art has a direct correlation with trance music cover art (and by extension, goa/psy trance music itself). There's a certain "offness" that's actually quite refined, and I imagine "they" see non-ultra-psychedelic-with-bad-typography cover art as having a certain off feeling, as well.

I wondered why Shpongle could have such amazing music, yet such crap cover art. But then- again- it all made sense. It isn't crap. It's just a very specific world (where everything is a lifeform based on fungus, infinitely ancient tribes, plants, greys, chrome, space, and dirt tastes different). If Shpongle just had different cover art back in the day, more people who used to listen to Photek, µ-Ziq, and Chemical Brothers would've gotten into them. It's like how Squarepusher could've been signed to a jazz label, if his self-representation were different.

The deeper one weaves in and out worlds, the more it becomes apparent that reality, parody, fantasy, dreams, lies and sincerity, are all facets of the same trippy ass diamond. Just how much great music have I missed- that people from other lifestyles have been totally enjoying- because of subtleties of marketing and distribution channels?

it's cuz acidhead homeless people who danced to goa didn't have the braincells left to listen to anything else. the people were too stoned to realize how aesthetically boring the whole thing had become.

(psytrance that is)

Yah, you know something's up when a lot of electronic music feels of the same family, and then trance (mostly goa/psy) feels like it's on its own island. I thought about this for awhile, ages ago, and it's almost like some early house track had such a hard drop, that trance just sprung off into its own species of electronic music.

it seemed like it was on it's own 'island' in terms of other ravey electronic music genres except for 90s era Industrial/EBM which actually saw a bit of crossover action take place. I think the psytrance remixes of Front Line Assembly was probably the most direct example of what im talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alIWTSodt7Y

There is a very close relationship between late 80s EBM/belgian new beat and early psy/goa trance. Psy/goa just took the template that had already been created, made it more analog synth based (instead of sample and FM synth based)

Only in recent times did I finally "get" trance CD cover art. A few years ago I was helping with and doing booths at spiritual/healing fairs, and I realized that most everyone's CDs, books, and signs, had shitty artwork/design. And then I realized it wasn't really shitty. If you look at the art from juuust the right angle, it all makes sense that- that is exactly what kind of mindset they're in. Those overtly spiritual peoples' cover art has a direct correlation with trance music cover art (and by extension, goa/psy trance music itself). There's a certain "offness" that's actually quite refined, and I imagine "they" see non-ultra-psychedelic-with-bad-typography cover art as having a certain off feeling, as well.

I wondered why Shpongle could have such amazing music, yet such crap cover art. But then- again- it all made sense. It isn't crap. It's just a very specific world (where everything is a lifeform based on fungus, infinitely ancient tribes, plants, greys, chrome, space, and dirt tastes different). If Shpongle just had different cover art back in the day, more people who used to listen to Photek, µ-Ziq, and Chemical Brothers would've gotten into them. It's like how Squarepusher could've been signed to a jazz label, if his self-representation were different.

The deeper one weaves in and out worlds, the more it becomes apparent that reality, parody, fantasy, dreams, lies and sincerity, are all facets of the same trippy ass diamond. Just how much great music have I missed- that people from other lifestyles have been totally enjoying- because of subtleties of marketing and distribution channels?

You discovered that tastes are subjective and culturally determined. I'll submit your name to the Nobel Committee.

it's cuz acidhead homeless people who danced to goa didn't have the braincells left to listen to anything else. the people were too stoned to realize how aesthetically boring the whole thing had become.

(psytrance that is)

exactly

• 2 years later...

Archived