IGNORED

explain trance to me

Salvatorin

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Phylyps Trak came out in 93. Probably did it for the money. That remix is a good tune though.

Not just for the money, I believe. He had a connection with at least one of the people who made the original version. One Ralf Hertwig. They did a couple stuff together. Most importantly in Palais Schaumburg. Where they also worked with Thomas Fehlmann. But they also had some success in a group called Marathon. Some of you might recognise the Movin' track. Most likely from some of the samples used. 

Here's the remix made by the Orb (Fehlmann and Patterson)

In case you're wondering WHY?, here's why I'm bugging you with these details. Ralf Hertwig also did a project called Perry & Rhodan where he made this classic trance tune. (Early trance, mind you! It's from 1993 as well) I just happened to wonder what else they made, and all those connection started to appear. (Essentially, they all came from Palais Schaumburg)

Yes, that jam & spoon version of Age of Love is pure gold. The whole 90's were interesting for electronic music, a lot of genres were created. Trance is like speed up techno but slower gabber/hardcore.

3 hours ago, Enthusiast said:

15 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Probably did it for the money. 

That's highly unlikely in his case

Was he already financially solid? I didn’t mean it in a negative sense, but even musicians gotta pay bills (see: Aphex Airlines). Anyway goDel explained it up there. 

1 hour ago, Diurn said:

Yes, that jam & spoon version of Age of Love is pure gold. .

Classic track for sure but it got so wildly overplayed though. Couldn’t go to a rave anywhere without hearing it. After a while that was a clear sign to go for a smoke ?

1 hour ago, Diurn said:

Yes, that jam & spoon version of Age of Love is pure gold. The whole 90's were interesting for electronic music, a lot of genres were created. Trance is like speed up techno but slower gabber/hardcore.

The early 90s trance is the best trance. Then there's the mid-90s psy/goa trance like Hallucinogen. After that the whole trance genre went kinda down the shitter, especially with the rise of hard trance which was like the original brostep but just in European context.

I don't really count suomisaundi psy as trance really because it's such a diverse genre.

11 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Was he already financially solid? I didn’t mean it in a negative sense, but even musicians gotta pay bills (see: Aphex Airlines). Anyway goDel explained it up there. 

Yeah his family is wealthy, old German aristocracy. 

On 5/28/2020 at 10:14 PM, goDel said:

Just came across the remix made by none other than Moritz Von Oswald. Yeah, the Basic Channel guy. It's fairly typical 1993 trance stuff. I'm confused. As he already must have been producing his Basic Channel type stuff by that time.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:19 PM, Enthusiast said:

Yeah you'd never guess it was him, pretty low key remix.

No reason to be confused IMO. Just listen to the sound aesthetic, that is thee Basic Channel drum sound right from the start. And while the original certainly is "fairly typical 90s trance stuff", I'm not sure I would describe the remix that way. Listening to the percussion, this sounds more Berlin than Frankfurt to me. It's pretty deep actually, and it's even got a bit of that stripped-down quality of the later BC tracks. The dubbed-out Basic Channel sound that became their trademark did not fall from the sky, it evolved. Cyrus -- Enforcement came out the same year as well, and in a way it sounds like "fairly typical 90's techno stuff", but then again, it doesn't.

20 hours ago, zkom said:

After that the whole trance genre went kinda down the shitter, especially with the rise of hard trance which was like the original brostep but just in European context.

That might be what became of it in the course of its commercialization, but in the beginning, Sven Väth would characterize the stuff he was playing as "hardtrance", and it was more or less synonymous with the releases on Harthouse from acts like Arpeggiators, Cybordelics, MikeroBenics or Resistance D.

This is the "original" hardtrance I'm talking about. I could post hordes of individual links, but really this mix says it all. I still have it on tape to this day, and I keep coming back to it. I must have listened to it hundreds of times, I know every single transition, every bit of dialogue, even the original traffic announcements by heart, and yet, if I had to pick one mix to listen to for the rest of my life, this would be it. Growing up in Germany in the 80's and 90's, there is no way to overestimate the impact the conglomerate of Sven Väth, hr3 clubnights, Harthouse/Eye Q, and Sven's club, the Omen, had on my life and those of so many others. There is also no way I'm not immediately tearing up every fucking time I listen to this.

49 minutes ago, BCM said:

Lol, just saw this; that glorious track is featured prominently in my second most favorite mix from that period, just a couple of months later (44:20 min).

"Hr3 Clubnight mit Sven Väth ... Ganz schön kalt draußen ..." ?

R.I.P. Pascal F.E.O.S.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:32 AM, goDel said:

Ralf Hertwig also did a project called Perry & Rhodan where he made this classic trance tune. (Early trance, mind you! It's from 1993 as well) I just happened to wonder what else they made, and all those connection started to appear. (Essentially, they all came from Palais Schaumburg)

Flaaaaashback. Cheers for the inclusion, I own this, somewhere. On a belt drive turntable you can get the bpm tempo down to about 123bpm, which opens up the groove more for personal taste. Reminds me of a few Hypnotist tracks that could be mixed in with as well.

Despite owning it since its release, wasn’t aware of the production ties. Cue a dig. Ta!

Lol, just saw this; that glorious track is featured prominently in my second most favorite mix from that period, just a couple of months later (44:20 min).
"Hr3 Clubnight mit Sven Väth ... Ganz schön kalt draußen ..." 
R.I.P. Pascal F.E.O.S.
awesome mix, used to have this on cassette! was also one of my favourites :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, some of he anjuna stuff is nice.  The "deep" label more so than the "beats" but thats just my personal preference.

Acts like Oona Dahl, Ben Bohmer, Luttrell... nice electronic sounds blended with modern house / trance elements.

I went to this last December (my last "club" night out before lockdown, glad I went, it was ace actually)

Jody Wisternoff b2b James Grant was absolutely slamming.

Archived