IGNORED

Phono Ghosts - Chrome Position

homecharlie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching the video which had some nice vintage debris on top, I listened to the full album and was underwhelmed too. It has some nice craftings and edits but sounds rather clean for such an backdrop of source material.

I guess some hum and tape gnarling would have made it more pleasant, as you expect some dirty sounds straight after reading the concept.

well I'm really digging it. definitely happy with my purchase, and I'm hoping there'll be more coming from Neil's way soon

I listen a lot to tapes and digitals and see therefore the difference of each format- but the sound itself is a bit too clean for my taste. Maybe I give it a run more to digest. From the crafted aspect this is excellent- you can hear the connection to other peoples from his place very well.

Maybe it's really a grower.

Guest mrgypsum

well I'm really digging it. definitely happy with my purchase, and I'm hoping there'll be more coming from Neil's way soon

i really like his style - everyone i guess will want to compare it to BOC but there is something different which distinguishes it.

i really like his style - everyone i guess will want to compare it to BOC but there is something different which distinguishes it.

yeah, I think there's much more an element of 'fun', for lack of a better word, to his tracks. and it kinda feels weird for me to be saying this, since I generally tend to gravitate to darker sounding stuff.

been playing this a few times since I got it in the post, and I also found it on my Google Play Music subscription. I think I like this even more than the Meatbingo tape.

Me too, and I loved the meatbingo release.

been playing this a few times since I got it in the post, and I also found it on my Google Play Music subscription. I think I like this even more than the Meatbingo tape.

I love Trendy Robots too, it's a great tape and has been played a lot since I got it about, what, 4 months ago now? but I do like this one a lot more.

Hearing it more and more, I am reminded more and more of stuff that Neil had played live the last few times I've been to gigs where he has been. I know for sure I've heard Ferric Dreams and Headcleaner during his live stuff. I think I might have heard some more stuff live, but I can't be entirely sure. I was listening to Headcleaner last night and remembered drunkenly dancing about for the latter part of Headcleaner…

I love Trendy Robots too, it's a great tape and has been played a lot since I got it about, what, 4 months ago now? but I do like this one a lot more.

Hearing it more and more, I am reminded more and more of stuff that Neil had played live the last few times I've been to gigs where he has been. I know for sure I've heard Ferric Dreams and Headcleaner during his live stuff. I think I might have heard some more stuff live, but I can't be entirely sure. I was listening to Headcleaner last night and remembered drunkenly dancing about for the latter part of Headcleaner…

So jealous… damn Atlantic ocean.

Guest mrgypsum

i still think this is the release of the year for me, i did also really like the meat bingo release even though i found the first meat a little stronger, the second one was more of a schizo uber technical achievement than anything. however chrome position is wonderful, its amazing that meat and phono is the same artist.

• 3 months later...
Guest MyogenicMax

Gets better and better with every listen, just flawless! I hope we get another Phono Ghosts release some point in the near future...

Finally just got my hands on this release (on cassette, of course): EXCELLENT. As Oscilik said, I'm also digging this more than the Meatbingo release (although I really liked that one, too). I expect that I will be able to revisit Phono Ghosts "Chrome Position" more frequently than Meatbingo "Trendy Robots", since the latter has an intensity that is ultimately draining on me. This release finds a better balance, I think.

Guest bitroast

just downloaded this from boomkat. haven't given it proper listen yet to be honest.

but noticed Tape to tape is on it. i remember this track from scrivin's soundcloud from while back. and loved the absolute shit out of it. this alone has piked my interest in the album!! damn yes. tape to tape :)

Guest bitroast

i can't pinpoint what it is exactly but the track always reminded me of the soundtrack for star wars on the nes.

I've been listening to this a lot since I got it at the release as a digital download. Tape to tape is probably the favorite.

• 2 months later...

I only just came across this via Spotify. Listening to it makes complete sense with the artists involved. 'Head Cleaning' is my favourite.

Archived