IGNORED

Lets bitch about Google

goDel

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel pretty ambivalent, but also virtually nothing when I think about Google.

It is, without a doubt, the greatest search engine in the world. This is pretty remarkable, and great, in the vast sea of the internet. It gave me lots of good advice, and tips, and has linked me to a lot of great stuff on the internet.

On the other hand: how do you keep your ethics with such an amount of power? I just hope there's no flip where something just goes terribly wrong, though that's probably my (irrational?) fear talking.

Yeh, you don't have to pay any money for the services, but you pay with being the product (as someone already amply put).

It's a limbo, that's for sure. For now, I give it the benefit of doubt.

"Don't be evil"

Alrighty Google, but doesn't that go hand in hand with the definition of good?

#deeptalk

I hate how they dropped support for XMPP federation when moving to their inferior proprietary closed Hangouts crap. So now we're still not a step closer to an open IM platform and I have to continue to run crap like Skype, Tango, Whatsapp or whichever other shitty app is the latest fad. Fuck you Google. Open standards when it suits you..

I moved all of my services away from Google. I use my own mail, XMPP, caldav, cardav, media and file servers.

If they want to live up to their moto of "Don't Be Evil", one thing they could do is pioneer a system of 'crypto-metrics'. Currently there is nothing to stop big advertising clients from paying to have their likes and views numbers artificially boosted. Even more insidiously, there is nothing to stop them from suppressing the likes and views numbers of content that is critical of, or in opposition to their big advertisers. Since there is a template now with Bitcoin for a crypto-currency, a similar system could be adapted for user metrics since they are a kind of currency too.

Haha

The "Don't be evil" thing is a bit of an odd one. It's kinda like driving a car on a racetrack and thinking out loud "Make that corner! Make that corner!". And then you hit the wall because all your focus went into making that goddamn corner.

Guest Al Hounos

I have been an enthusiastic user of Google services (Android, Chrome, Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Youtube, Search).

I knew it was dangerous to trust so much to one company, but it wasn't really until I read this that I really started to look for ways to wean myself off the big G:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/google-just-pulled-a-facebook-home-kitkats-primary-interface-is-google-search/

Also, when I started having to sign in to G+ to rate an app or post a comment on Youtube, the signs are all pointing to a Microsoft or Apple-esque "walled garden".

"Embrace, extend, extinguish."

How's this for lame : nexus phones were advertised as being the first to get new OS updates... And I just read that now Google will only provide updates for nexus devices for 18 months. wtf is that about?

Oh and the kit Kat announcements made no mention that the Google Experience Launcher and updated UI would be Nexus 5 only. No worries as people found the apk for it and distributed it... But this all makes me question the nexus line...

░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Bob is building an army.
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ ☻/ This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████]. /▌ Copy and Paste this all over
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤ . . .. ... . .. / \ Youtube if you are with us!

(҂._.) Gentlemen, we must get the old comment system Back.
<,︻╦╤─ Grab a weapon and copy and paste this!
/""""""""""""\======= ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─
/"""""""""""""""""""\ ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─ ,︻╦╤─

. . . ^ Bob has decided that nuclear
☻/ . . . . / \ Weapons are the only way to fix YouTube.
/▌ . . . |☢| Copy and Paste this all over YouTube
/ \ _ . . //||\\ To completely obliterate Google

Google has implemented a lot of stuff in the past, and people have always complained about them. Never, ever, did they reverse what they did, because that's not the style of Google.

"Give me a bit, and I will take it all"

How's this for lame : nexus phones were advertised as being the first to get new OS updates... And I just read that now Google will only provide updates for nexus devices for 18 months. wtf is that about?

Oh and the kit Kat announcements made no mention that the Google Experience Launcher and updated UI would be Nexus 5 only. No worries as people found the apk for it and distributed it... But this all makes me question the nexus line...

Absolutely. At least push the userspace updates which should be hardware independent to the complete Nexus line when they're ready for release. The way they are handling it now is a very poor show. Nexus devices were explicitly advertised as devices that would always get the latest software. Where's my KitKat?

i really hope the google glass bombs. Its odd to me that the last piece of new tech I can remember getting this much free advertising that was supposed to be a 'game changer' was the segway and when that came out it was kind of a laughing stock and still kind of is.

I just got a Moto G, g.

It's a fucking bargain at £135. I don't see why they'll still push out Nexus phones now they own Motorola. Seems a bit weird them having these rival lines. I probably won't even install Kitkat when it comes out, I mean, wtf will it matter to my phone experience?

Fuck you Google, long live Motorola.

Is this when their motorola phones start shipping? Or is it that most nexus users are running cyanogen? ( i don't know, i'm not pretending to know, or implying that i know anything)

Guest Al Hounos

dunno, but a new nexus comes out once a year so they're either forcing you to buy a new one every year, or they're giving you a six month punishment period with no updates if you upgrade "only" every two years.

I've had a Galaxy S2 for two years now, and the only reason i'm getting a new phone next month is because it stopped getting updates with 4.1. so maybe they're onto something?

ironic part is, i'm almost definitely getting a Nexus 5. :sad:

Yeah it's kind of weird that this concept is baked in to the android phone market now, not supporting old devices when they could offer updates because it seems to work fine with mods. It's taking a while for my brain to adjust to the new google. Then again, it could be the handset manufacturers that pushed for this.

Archived