IGNORED

CHATMM Volume 8 announcement thread

Friendly Foil

Hello. Since we've now decided on a theme, I thought I'd make another one of these threads. The theme this time is:
Soundtrack (for a Science Fiction movie)

Also, we dicided that the movie would be called Cyborgs Have Arisen on Titan's Moon Men.

What this sounds like, is of course up to you. The tracks can have beats or not, though a drill'n'bass or noise track would probably seem a bit out of place.

When/if you finish your track, please name it after a scene or a line in the movie. Like, "The Cyborgs Attack" or "I'm Not Really A Moon Man" (these are just terrible examples, not actual track titles for the comp).

Anyways, the deadline is January 5th. So there should be plenty of time. If you want to make something, please post in here and I'll send you a PM with all the details as soon as possible.

I try to make the overall volume level as even as I can, without running the queiter tracks through a limiter. Since people all mix their tracks differently, which especially was the "issue" with the dnb one, that can be pretty tricky. You kinda have to decide if you want to follow your ears or the db-levels.

Sorry if I did a shit job on this one. If anyone's willing to master 8-14 tracks every one-and-half/two months for free and relatively quick, I won't say no.

• 3 weeks later...

heh yah you cant blame foil, or really anyone for levels coming out uneven.

it'd be almost impossible to do that without limiting, and his not wanting to do that is probably the most delicate approach. some people might submit and then be like 'offended' that someone messed with dynamics of their track. i think foils done the best he could under those circumstances.

if people contributing all agreed that levels should be balanced across tracks, via limiting when needed, then you could maybe look to get someone to do that. but it takes time (not to mention some ability to know when and how much to use and not to go too far), and foil is already spending who knows how much of his on the thing as it is.

just my 2cents

edit- on 2nd glance i see that Djeroek's comment wasn't *necessarily* implying anything about foils job, just asking about getting a more in depth job done... so, eh. something.

@very honest: If you want to do a track you'd be welcome to. can't possibly be worse than my dnb track.

@MrE: I'm adjusting the volume levels as I receive the tracks this time. Seems to make things a bit easier and give me a bit more time with each track.

well its not really much of my concern how you're doing it, i haven't contributed anything for any comp (yet, i'd like to). all i'm saying is that by listening it sounds like you've done a good job, and for it to be any more level would require more time and mainly, tinkering with dynamics of peoples' stuff, which probably some contributers wouldn't be happy about.

Archived