IGNORED

Bernard Parmegiani

aencre

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I was browsing / free-floating on Hard Wax last night and accidently stumbled upon Parmegiani's records which are quite rare now and of course i had to buy them all! 

so, this is what i bought:

Bernard Parmegiani - L'Œil écoute / Dedans-Dehors
Bernard Parmegiani - De Natura Sonorum
Bernard Parmegiani - Violostries
Bernard Parmegiani - Mémoire Magnétique, Vol.1 (1966-1990)

the guy is genius imo and I know De Natura Sonorum very well; it's one of my fav works ever! but the others not so well... im familiar with some parts. Youtube uploads are promising! So, yeah... good catch id say! 

p.s.

today i found out that Jeff Mills took one of Parmegiani's tracks from Dedans-Dehors called Hors Phase and just released it as its own! I'm totally speechless! Hear it yourself:

Edited by xox
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, xox said:

today i found out that Jeff Mills took one of Parmegiani's tracks from Dedans-Dehors called Hors Phase and just released it as its own! I'm totally speechless! Hear it yourself:

What the hell. I was expecting a long sample, or a cover/remake... I actually searched for different rips of the album to confirm it wasn’t a tagging error or something. 

(Dedans-Dehors is my favorite Parmegiani.)

• Like 2

^^ Same, just checking discogs. I hadn't heard the track by Jeff Mills (I know the one by Parmegiani only), could it be that some upload algorithm mistakenly/deliberately uploaded it with the wrong metadata?

Edited by IOS

5 hours ago, IOS said:

^^ Same, just checking discogs. I hadn't heard the track by Jeff Mills (I know the one by Parmegiani only), could it be that some upload algorithm mistakenly/deliberately uploaded it with the wrong metadata?

That was my first incredule guess, too. But nope, preview samples on proper stores all have En phase/Hors phase sitting uncredited on a Jeff Mills cd. 

Edited by aencre
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IOS said:

preview samples seem to match! 

https://hardwax.com/63114/jeff-mills/the-power/

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/jeff-mills-the-power/417402-01/

• Like 1

idk, saw someone on twitter talking about this recently, i think specifically with the Parmegiani track but can't find it now....

there was also this tho, Mills has a problem of releasing stuff he's assuming he wrote apparently:

https://ra.co/news/43305

"Mills often receives demo tracks from artists seeking licenses on Axis Records," continued the statement. "As he reviews tracks, he sometimes makes a CD containing samples of tracks of himself and others to test while out on tour. On an unmarked CD and because of the similarity in production style, Mills mistook this track as something he had made a while ago and proceeded to add this to the release."

which seems like an honest enough mistake, seriously could see that happening given my own tendency to just record shit and dump it in a folder then forget about it...been very surprised by things i 'found' that i forgot i recorded. but if this legit and the second time he's done such a thing....lol, he needs to get a manager checking his shit or something :duckhunt:

Edited by auxien

16 minutes ago, aencre said:

What the hell. I was expecting a long sample, or a cover/remake...

right! i've never seen something like this! this is his second time to rip someone else.... that we know of! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, auxien said:

idk, saw someone on twitter talking about this recently, i think specifically with the Parmegiani track but can't find it now....

there was also this tho, Mills has a problem of releasing stuff he's assuming he wrote apparently:

https://ra.co/news/43305

which seems like an honest enough mistake, seriously could see that happening given my own tendency to just record shit and dump it in a folder then forget about it...been very surprised by things i 'found' that i forgot i recorded. but if this legit and the second time he's done such a thing....lol, he needs to get a manager checking his shit or something :duckhunt:

how appropriate! just say ''i didnt know it was my track''.

ok, it could be a mistake with that other techno artist but doing it more than once? with a track was released in 1977 iirc aaaand... it's an obscure music but somehow (basically parmegiani being ahead of its time) fits his album so he probably thought ''well... whoz listening this old french guy anyway...?!''

he didn't said a word about putting that other's guy track on his album (someone else mentioned it first) nor i could find a word from him putting parmegiani's track on this album from 2011 (10 yrs of silence!!! and not knowing it wasn't your track? i'd really like to be that optimistic but that'd mean he became demented fairly early in his life) 

Edited by xox

4 minutes ago, xox said:

he didn't said a word about putting that other's guy track on his album

well the statement i quoted from that RA article was 'from the label' which as far as i can tell Mills runs, so it's essentially his admission of the mistake, if not particularly tactful. they also detail how he credited it correctly going forward, one would assume with adequate monetary compensations. 

but i can't find anything about the Parmegiani thing other than a reddit post....idk if there might be some mix up with digital versions or something but one would assume that's unlikely. not a good look at all if Mills is regularly nicking tracks from anywhere and everywhere, even if it's accidental. 

Just now, auxien said:

well the statement i quoted from that RA article was 'from the label' which as far as i can tell Mills runs, so it's essentially his admission of the mistake, if not particularly tactful. they also detail how he credited it correctly going forward, one would assume with adequate monetary compensations

oh i got that wrong then, thnx for pointing that out! 

everything's possible... even that he really put the parmegiani's track on his mp3 player (2010/2011 technology) and later just mixed this track with his tracks... dunno 

also, only 2 comments on reddit! lol nobody gives a faq! ''parme...who?! parmegiani? nooo i prefer grana padano!''

• Haha 1

someone on discogs noticed this in 2014, so i'd guess it's not likely this is some recent internet-only mistake

image.png.0fd2210bb522d8e033f02584972524d9.png

edit: obv the internet existed in 2014 :cerious: but i think you get what i mean 

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Parmegiani was one of the greats... electroacoustic/musique concrete really doesn't get it's fair shake, also irl lol at Jeff Mills accidentally plagiarizing Bernard