IGNORED

Outsider Music You've Found

gmanyo

haha

this guy is more trve kvlt frostbitten than most black metal bands ever dream to be

his about page: "Not seriously taken free improvisation of happyness of normal life"

I dig it.

I will bump this in a month or so, when I plan to digitize some of the weird cassette tapes I've found. I've traced a few though; I acquired not one, but two copies of this (gave one to a friend as a gag):

R-4530202-1367508148-9292.jpeg

It's not obscure but it's not mainstream either. It's part of a strange and surreal niche of entertainment that comes from Branson, Missouri. It's like the last place I'd ever want to visit...at least in a sober, non-ironic state. Stuff like this:

http://youtu.be/KELaDGT_9zw

Guest disparaissant

Paul Beckman, aka Palu Rainbow Song.

He basically spends all his time watching daytime television (especially soap operas) and then does freestyle songs based off of what just happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf9cfAlue_0

It is by no means good, but damn he's an interesting guy. i remember trying to figure out how many videos he had on youtube (he has had multiple accounts over the years, many of them have been banned for one reason or another) and as of like 4 years ago, it was somewhere around 50,000?

haha

this guy is more trve kvlt frostbitten than most black metal bands ever dream to be

his about page: "Not seriously taken free improvisation of happyness of normal life"

I dig it.

I've seen Tykylevits live and he's real fun. Also constantly surrounded by women, lol. I want to be like him when I grow old.

Flash Jordan. Only caught this once live.

Other Austin public access tv footage. This is hardly the best stuff they air:

http://youtu.be/oqtH82UI_6o

I've seen far more trippy and frightening things 5-6 years ago when I used to surf Austin public access tv years ago, usually after midnight. Should of taped some, it was like the 120 Minutes of local outsider art. There was a long running show of vaguely Hindu looking puppets talking new age nonsense. Another time they aired some extremely creepy and goth-y late 90s art films. I looked up the person by lost the name years ago. Nightmare-ish stuff.

EDIT: found the series - Puppetose

Edited by joshuatx

Is "outsider music" it's own genre?

I've discovered some weird stuff, but I don't know if this thread is just a free-for-all for weird shit you've found on your own as an "outsider" as a listener or if the term "outsider" pertains to the artist.

I've discovered some weird stuff, but I don't know if this thread is just a free-for-all for weird shit you've found on your own as an "outsider" as a listener or if the term "outsider" pertains to the artist.

It's a broad ethos and describer - context and background is just as key. More like the way DIY or underground are descriptors. Or indie, rave, and punk before those were co-opted and re-appropriated in various ways.

• 1 month later...

Let this topic go by the wayside! Great stuff on here.

Here's one that I came across on the packaging for this shit sugarfree candy called monster goo. It said that there was a free download for the "Monster Goo Boogie". My friends and I went and downloaded it and expected it to be some really shitty funky dance tune that would have intended to have been (fuck English) catchy for kids. Instead it was this.

The name of the candy has been changed to "Goo4you", and the gone from the internet now so I had to upload it.

Edited by gmanyo

Guest extherium

I occasionally scan Bandcamp for local acts, so ... y'know ... I can be that guy who can say he liked them before they became famous.

Here's some trashy, terrible music not surprisingly called "Trashwave" -- http://hansblixkrieg.bandcamp.com/

And I noticed the same guy does some okay-ish drone/ambient stuff -- http://emberslucent.bandcamp.com/album/hypoxia

[youtubehd]exTMCq0cnLs[/youtubehd]

found out about this guy years back at a website called incorrect music. a bit of a cult following sorta, has developed around his stuff since then. i think the basic story was that back in the 80s he went around in NY giving shops copy of his cassette tape, which he did all by himself. people have tried to track him down to learn more about him (to kinda creepy lengths). someone checked library of congress and saw that he did register other stuff. i think i saw somewhere that someone found a number and called him and he wasn't happy about it and didn't want to talk. i think people latched onto it because of how the dude obviously didn't know QUITE what he was doing but also has obvious intent and focus on it. plus theres a super haunting quality to the tracks, like a weird sort of creepy undertone to it imo.

this one was always my fav.
[youtubehd]cKTioEi4Iug[/youtubehd]

the whole cassette is weird and all 10 tracks are on youtube but for some reason i dont see a playlist with the 10 in order.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y._Bhekhirst

Haha I'm liking this guy Mr.E.

Outsider music describes music and artists that are, well, outsiders. Often it's bad music made by clueless music, but not bad in your typical basement-rock-band made by the 420blazeit guys down the street, but bad in a way that is completely outside of musical convention. This often makes it endearing and interesting to listen to. It's hard to even say it's bad, it's just so outside of convention that it's hard to actually pinpoint. The artists themselves or their life stories are often as strange as the music, making the artist and actual embodiment of the music. Usually the artists have to be strange to make music that's that particular kind of out-there, because normal people, even those bad at music, will not even think to make music that sounds like they make it. The artists' lives become part of the art itself. The Shaggs and Wesley Willis are perfect examples (breaking my rules here lol). Sometimes it is purposefully artsy, not just cluelessly unconventional, like in the case with Jandek (I think) or arguably Captain Beefheart.

Edited by gmanyo

• 4 weeks later...