IGNORED

Nelson Mandela Dead.

So the icon/symbol of anti-apartheid is dead.

I'm happy that it's finally over: spending your days on the bed, waiting for death to come by just seems wasteful to me. I have seen it happen to my grandfather and it's fucking shit.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly thought he died a few months ago?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Probably because:

On 22 June 2013, CBS News stated that he had not opened his eyes in days and was unresponsive, and the family was discussing how much medical intervention should be given.[297] Former bodyguard Shaun van Heerden, described by CBS News as "Mandela's constant companion for the last 12 years", had publicly asked the family to "set him free" a week prior.[298] On 23 June 2013, Zuma announced that Mandela's condition had become "critical".[299][300][301] Zuma, accompanied by the Deputy President of the ANC, Cyril Ramaphosa, met Mandela's wife Graça Machel at the hospital in Pretoria and discussed his condition.[302] On 25 June Cape Town Archbishop Thabo Makgoba visited Mandela at the hospital and prayed with Graça Machel Mandela "at this hard time of watching and waiting".[303] The next day, Zuma visited Mandela in the hospital and canceled a visit scheduled for the next day to Mozambique.[304] A relative of Mandela told The Daily Telegraph newspaper he is on life support.[305]

On 4 July it was reported that David Smith, a lawyer acting on behalf of Mandela family members, claimed in court on 26 June that Mandela was in a permanent vegetative state and life support should be shut off.[306][307][308] The South African Presidency stated that the doctors treating Mandela deny that he is in a vegetative state.[309][310] On 10 July, Zuma's office announced that Mandela remained in critical but stable condition, and was responding to treatment.[311]

On 1 September 2013, Mandela was discharged from hospital[312] although his condition remained unstable.[313]

Mandela died on 5 December 2013 at the age of 95, at home and surrounded by his family. His death was announced by President Jacob Zuma.[314][315]

(from wikipedia)

rip

My wife's grandfather was the same age and passed away this year as well. Death at that age is often bittersweet, especially when health problems are frequent.

I don't want to wax poetic but Nelson Mandela led a truly incredible life, world was so different in 1918.

10639.jpg

I can't stop thinking about that. One can only hope people will maybe take some time to refresh themselves on the fact that something as terrible and oppressive as Apartheid was legally created in 1948 and only abolished toward the end of the century. South Africa still has it's problems and struggles internally but there has been so much progress made for country once so divided and oppressed, and Mandela was at the center of much of it. The grace and tact he had accomplishing what he did is quite amazing.

Archived