IGNORED

Role Playing Games thread

Rubin Farr

Been introducing my girlfriend's nephews to Dungeons & Dragons, they're the perfect age to get into it, and they got to each pick a mini figure for their character. Who here is an RPG player? What format do you prefer, what franchises? Western or JRPGs? Curious as to who still appreciates D&D / Pathfinder etc, or more hardcore like Skyrim, Fallout, Persona, even Pokemon. Reveal yourselves!

+1 to hit

i love the adnd system, i like taking hours to calculate every move, but i guess the last proper video game to implement it was neverwinter nights 2 ? i'm really hungry for something new of this kind.

when we wanted to play some dnd irl about a decade ago i got in an bitter argument with my friend because he wanted to bend the rules to create some super-bard character, so it never happened.

Love Role Playing Games, but I never played D&D.

Some recommended PC-RPG: Baldur's Gate, The Ellder Scrolls & Fallout, Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, The Witcher, Dragon Age Origins, Planescape Torment, etc...

NWN uses the D&D rules and has/had a license to do so. (don't play the mmo though, actually just stay away from any mmo.)

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

A friend of mine found this a while ago and had to buy it - we spent the entire day in awe of the pure majesty of the artwork but haven't got round to playing yet. Seriously, dat cover

pic1179165.jpg

Guest Frankie5fingers

i love RPG all around but i tend to prefer JRPG for the most part, their stories are just superior to ours imo. stuff like Suikoiden, FF, Persona. Probably my favorite western RPG series is TES.

never really got into the board game stuff.

Guest Pennywise

I like RPG's but not so much for the story. I mostly like the development of the character and leveling up skills etc. I loved the atmosphere of Skyrim though. I do like the fantasy world aspect of RPG's.

I've been playing Torchlight 2, it's a lot like Borderlands in the way that you find something better than what you have too frequently. Its fun, but I'm pretty much just sticking with one spell which is boring. It's cos I can't be arsed to get good at using hotkeys ( you only have 1 skill equipped at a time) .

I'm playing on Veteran mode and when I die I have the option to lose nothing but respawn a little distance away from where I was. Yeh, real difficult.

I thought this was about pen & paper RPG's. Never played any D&D, but a bunch of other stuff (plenty of Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, Unknown Armies, Conan (d20), some Mage). Computer RPG's are the Fallout ones mostly.

I love the Dragon Quest series, and waiting to play the new Pokemon after Xmas. Pen and paper is great fun with a group of friends but it's hard to get my peeps to agree on anything.

Pen & papers: Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, D&D, AD&D, 2300AD, Cyberpunk, GURPS Conan. That's what I can remember. Been years since I've played though. Anyway, I prefer the Chaosium percent system over others. Simple and clear.

Larped a couple of times when I was like 13yo. Didn't really like it.

Computer & video games: Nethack, Rogue, Adom, Ultimas.. Super Mario RPG series :cisfor:

DayZRP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jJrtQ-_E_aE

DayZRP is private DayZ server focused on roleplaying, player cooperation, increasing the player interaction and group combat. We are a medium sized community that loves DayZ but is either bored with the standard gameplay on public servers or seeks roleplaying experience in the post apocalyptic world of DayZ. DayZRP has multiple rules about gameplay including a "no Kill on Sight" rule, which means that you have to interact with the other player before taking a hostile action.

Thanks to a whitelisted server and a frequent database backup you no longer have to worry about hackers. Our admins do their best to stop cheaters, deathmatching and will punish players that use exploits like disconnecting in combat.

We are striving to create an unique DayZ experience and go back to the atmosphere of the first days after the DayZ was released.This is how DayZ was meant to be played - as a cooperative zombie survival.

You have to Register on our website and read this thread: How to Join in order to join our server.

We hope you enjoy your stay on RP servers! See you in Chernarus!

Takistan Life

Ok, are you ready for a new form of role playing? Do you enjoy the fire fights of a FPS, the realism of one too, and the experience of an MMO game, but can't find a game like that? Well, come to Takistan Life Revolution! It is a mission file for your all familiar Arma 2 game (OA to be exact) and doesn't require any downloads to play! There are several sides to choose from including your infamous terrorists, your average civilian, your wanted insurgents, and even the guys who love to eat donuts, yes, da cops. It is a mixed gameplay that fuels the corruption of the region we call Takistan. Strap up your suicide vests, load your Glock, and get ready for some explosive fun!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Of9rtLByRA

Not a role playing game but a friend of mine just very recently got introduced to that Magic card game thing and is now totally obsessed with it, goes to these contests and plays it for hours on at least three nights per week, it's a bit scary.

The Elder Scrolls games are the pinnacle of video game RPGs, imo. Depending on their age, though, Skyrim might be a bit much because of the gory decapitations & other animations that tend to pop up when you land crits. Start em with Morrowind if they're young because their vivid imaginations will allow them to fill in the blanks left by the rudimentary graphics.

JRPGs aren't really 'role playing games' in a strict sense, they're more like an anime series that's broken up with math problems.

I have a whole bunch of AD&D 2nd Edition books and campaign settings, but I only had one friend who was into this back in the day, so it pretty much went nowhere. Drew tons of maps though, and wrote some settings..

And coincidentally I just started playing Vampire: The Masquerade last week with a bunch of people, who have been doing this for years.. The setting is 2004 New York. I have only played one session so far, generated a character etc.. Pretty cool.

Guest disparaissant

when i was a teenager i was hella into world of darkness stuff. mostly vampire the masquerade, but occasionally the werewolf game and mage too. i went so far as to do a vampire: the dark ages LARP, but that got kind of creepy what with me being like 16 and hanging out with shifty nerds in their 40s.

i also played quite a bit of DnD and some GURPS. good times. wouldn't mind getting back into that.

when i was a teenager i was hella into world of darkness stuff. mostly vampire the masquerade, but occasionally the werewolf game and mage too. i went so far as to do a vampire: the dark ages LARP, but that got kind of creepy what with me being like 16 and hanging out with shifty nerds in their 40s.

i also played quite a bit of DnD and some GURPS. good times. wouldn't mind getting back into that.

neat. I love to death gothic girls.

I have played few RPG actually. But I want to get into it too much deeper. Recommendations?

Guest disparaissant

well the old world of darkness games are really easy to get into. not really complicated at all. good jumping off point for other, far more complicated rules systems. i don't know anything about white wolf's CURRENT crop of games, but 2nd and 3rd ed vampire is a ton of fun.

been playing skyrim over the last week (breton, pure mage). my life has basically ended.

used to play WH40k as a teenager, but by "play" i basically mean paint and glue my fingers together. great times. had a clan of orks -- the snotskulls -- and even wrote some fluff for them back in the day (had something to do with a chaos army i was building back then) as well as ran a 40k message board, lol.

*dies of dorkiness*

Archived