IGNORED

Role Playing Games thread

Rubin Farr

been playing skyrim over the last week (breton, pure mage). my life has basically ended.

used to play WH40k as a teenager, but by "play" i basically mean paint and glue my fingers together. great times. had a clan of orks -- the snotskulls -- and even wrote some fluff for them back in the day (had something to do with a chaos army i was building back then) as well as ran a 40k message board, lol.

*dies of dorkiness*

I've got such nostalgic memories of 40k and Warhammer from when I was a teenager, good times. The last few years I've actually been tempted to dig my old models out of the loft in my parents' house and just get stuck right in painting again but I haven't really had enough time on my hands. Weirdly I was at a girl's house last week and she had a proper display cabinet full of beautifully painted 40k miniatures, which I thought was cool because back in the day I'd have thought it was something that no girls would be into. Heh.

Zombies is a really fun tile-based boardgame, haven't played it in a long time though.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing dnd 3.5/ pathfinder for a few years now. We play mostly home brew stuff and one night sessions, and I DM'd a dark souls-based campaign a while back. I like the pathfinder classes and stuff, but I find the system to be too combat-focused for my liking.

Tried some Cortex stuff, the serenity rpg is awesome. But that system takes a totally different mindset to play than dnd. Much more flexible and roleplay-friendly though.

occasionally the werewolf game

you mean this?

ultimate-werewolf-game-1344682746.jpg

Didn't realize this qualifies as a role playing game. Yeah I'm mad about this one, love it.

We played this game with 36 people on a field excursion, each game took over 2 hours. Also I'm somehow always the Wolf, even though it's pure chance, I don't know how I'm doing it. People just started kicking me out of the game after the very first night at some point just because, and they were always correct. Drunk and/or stoned people yelling at each other at 4 am about this shit, it's a fun game.

I'm a huge RPG enthusiast. Everything from Fantasy to Sci-Fi. I have played massive amounts of hours into all sorts of RPG games whether it be on the screen or on paper. I haven't played D&D in a few years now, but I'm still up to date with all the video game RPGs. I play a lot of World of Warcraft and console RPGs including JRPGs like Final Fantasy or Suikoden.

Recently, I would recommend Ni No Kuni to anyone who is a fan of JRPGs. Heck even if you think you aren't, go pick it up. It's only $20.

Currently I'm very much looking forward to Dragon Age: Inquisition. If you look up some of the developer youtube videos you'll be convinced of it's potential to be incredible.

I'm really liking how a lot of different types of games, recently made, are implementing RPG elements. For example, Far Cry 3 included the nice hunting system to upgrade your equipment using farmed materials from animals. Little aspects like this are great and add a lot to the game. Nothing beats the feeling of dominating your enemy with an upgraded to the max character that took you a long time to work for. It's a good sense of accomplishment, even if it is just a game.

All of this needs to be balanced though. There are enough RPGs out there to consume one's life and take away from the greatest experience that you can have: Real life. So I try to limit myself whenever I need to.

Back in the 80's was big into Runequest, Middle-Earth RPG, DC Superheroes with a few like minded friends.

My youngest lad is 8 and everytime we pass Games Workshop he's fascinated with all the figures and the set up's like LOTR, Hobbit, Warhammer and 40K.

I haven't a clue how to play these wargame RPG's but they have these beginner sessions now and again, so I've promised I'll take him along and we can learn how to play etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently purchased the one ring game, it's set in middle earth between the hobbit and LotR. System seems simple and flexible and they really captured the feel of middle earth with it.

Guest Milkweg

I had was into vampire the masqurade when i was a teenager as well. Grew up in a small town so I only knew one other person into it. Warhammer & 40k but mostly PC RPG's from then on.

Have dragon age ready for when i actually have some time to put into it. Want to get back into Skyrim as well, never played any expansion packs, and someone is making morrowind in the Skyrim engine too i think. Glory.

Morrowind will always be my favorite. You can do anything in that game, although after a while you catch onto enough exploits to be able to finish the main quest by level 5.

With the next update, Dwarf Fortress is going to have a fantastic rougelike adventurer mode. The current version is very fun, but so much more is going to be added.

AD&D 2nd edition for life.

ah yea.. Planescape & Forgotten Realms

I started playing again this year, 3.5e. it's loads of fun..

RubinFarr, your are a most noble man for introducing yr nephew to the game

Recently purchased the one ring game, it's set in middle earth between the hobbit and LotR. System seems simple and flexible and they really captured the feel of middle earth with it.

That's produced by some guys near where I work. A very British games company indeed, they have rights for doctor who and cthulhu stuff as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest kymppinetti

i just bought 'Preador'. it's a finnish role-playing game, setting into this medieval society. though, you don't really know if the time is 'medieval'. there is this mysterious circle like border, and beyond that there is a waste, ruins of all previous mankinds. so in the past there could really well be this huge technological society, but you don't know nothing abou it. in the game you'll go beyond that border, and discover things there.

and 'Preador' is all in one. there is gm/playing/player -books all in one cover. preatty exciting about it.

Archived