IGNORED

Affordable Sampler w/o Computer

Guest vletrmx

Guest vletrmx

Hello WATMM!

I've wanted to pick up a sampler for live performance and jamming for a while now.

There's a ton of cheap midi pads on the market, but just about every single one that I can find requires ableton and a laptop.

I don't have a laptop right now, and I'm not interested in being shackled to one every time I make music- so what's an affordable sampler, sans software?

Guest vletrmx

Yamaha SU-10

Yamaha%20SU10.jpg

One on eBay right now with a few mins left for £26.66!

I used to have one of these - they're pretty good and surprisingly versatile... i composed a few whole tracks using just one of these and some samples i ripped from CDs and vinyl records...

Thanks a ton, that's an awesome suggestion (and about 30x more affordable than anything else I could find) :music:

yeah they're alright, the ribbon controller lets you "scratch" your samples as well as acting as a control surface for filter tweaking (has a usable selection of filters built in - cutoff, resonance etc) - all this is recordable so you can take a straight drumbeat sample and twist it up, record the results and then use that edited break in your track (which can be arranged on the device itself). It's quite a powerful little box really...

that yamaha thing looks fucking awesome. There seem to be some pretty decent and affordable hardware sampling options that fall through the cracks, there was a korg keyboard that I've forgotten the name of that was kind of like a very souped up Casio sk-1, anybody know what the name of it is?

that yamaha thing looks fucking awesome. There seem to be some pretty decent and affordable hardware sampling options that fall through the cracks, there was a korg keyboard that I've forgotten the name of that was kind of like a very souped up Casio sk-1, anybody know what the name of it is?

you talking about the DSS-1, which i'm pretty sure has the same, imo awesome sounding analog filters as their DW-8000 (of which i have the rackmount EX-8000 version), and the same awesome digital delay but two of them?

and which also allows you to draw in your own waveform? i've thought one of those would be rad to have since i realized how awesome the EX8000 is

you talking about the DSS-1, which i'm pretty sure has the same, imo awesome sounding analog filters as their DW-8000 (of which i have the rackmount EX-8000 version), and the same awesome digital delay but two of them?

and which also allows you to draw in your own waveform? i've thought one of those would be rad to have since i realized how awesome the EX8000 is

Ooh shit i gotta say that DSS-1 looks sexy. Like an SK-1 on steriods with an analog filter.

Guest The Epilektrician

The DSS-1 is completely amazing. You can do stuff with the filters on that thing which is pretty saucy :).

That said we've performed live with only a synced setup of modular synthesis/CR-78/SK-1. Samples triggered manually on pads via Kontakt, so there's the laptop.

i was actually thinking about the Korgmicrosampler, which seems much more geared towards on the fly real-time sample capturing (that's where the Casio sk1 comparison came in). I owned a Roland S-50 for a while, so pretty much any of those keyboards from that era that can sample really turn me off. For $250 (which is what my friend got one for) i don't know of any other sampling keyboards this fun to use with this much power

if you ever want to get rid of it i'd be in the market for one. For doing live ambient resampling stuff I've never used anything more effective/immediate. I have a roland V-synth but in terms of an on the fly sampler it's a complete joke plus it has a 64megabyte on board memory, which is also a joke

if you ever want to get rid of it i'd be in the market for one. For doing live ambient resampling stuff I've never used anything more effective/immediate. I have a roland V-synth but in terms of an on the fly sampler it's a complete joke plus it has a 64megabyte on board memory, which is also a joke

Maybe mate

I'll think on it

problem is that I hoard gear

and have trouble parting with it

even gear that I don't like or use lol

oh wow thx for that yamaha su-10 tip

thats the vid that sealed the deal on the SU10 for me.... probs gonna try this with mine over the christmas hols...

great little sampler, ive aslo got an yamaha A3000 which was pretty cheap <£100, nice midi controls on that

Archived