Sign in to follow this  
pierlu

Apart from Joyrex, who are the eldest users on watmm?

I mean, users who are still active and who signed in early. The ones who can say, I saw it all... the witnesses of watmm's evolution.

Just curious about it, nothing more than that. I am not, being a user since 2010 (before that I was on em411.com, where I registered in 2002)

cheers. p.

p.s. share some memories if you feel like it

Edited by pierlu

I don't remember very much at all and i've been here for all of it.

delet... is quite old

A lot of that is probably the alcohol.

I'm quite old

Guest Gary C

Been around since 03/04, I think. Can't remember any more.

Probably time I gave it up.

I was there in the joyrex.com days, I feel like an old fart when I see all those threads in "Upcoming releases" which I know nothing about :)

I first was around when the interlaced Come To Daddy pictures were the background - can't remember exactly when that was

Papa, do you remember what happened during the end of November 2005? There's a two week gap where pretty much everybody had to redo their login and stuff, that's what happened? (we moved to a different board?)

What that one of the two (?) big server crashes/database corruption?

A lot of that is probably the alcohol.

I actually don't drink very often, i'll go through periods where i might have a drink every week or so, then back right off again to nothing for months. I've never been a daily drinker. The reason why i don't remember very much is that i don't seem to be able to form memories very well nor retain information that i have worked hard to bang in there. For example i can only remember guitar pieces that i've written and practised for months for at most a couple of years if i stop practising them. It's a tiresome disorder that i probably should have sought medical advice over long ago. But my other disorder is apathetic sloth. So ahh well.

Was here in early 2000s under a different name. Ventured off for a long while. Got bored at work & started trolling site. Eventually signed back up this past year.

I am older in real life than my watmm appearance would indicate.

Edited by psn

I've known of watmm since the early 2000s, but I've only recently joined. I was mainly on the planet-mu board with delet... and peace 7 until it was put out of its misery. Those were troubled times.

Yeah, in '05 we lost the database due to the dodgy host we were on up and closing it's doors with no warning. Some history:

Originally I started this "hobby" to teach myself HTML - the original address was http://users.ev1.net/~joyrex, which then about a month later (July 1999) moved to joyrex.com. Then, in early 2001, due to combination of me wanting to expand beyond just Aphex Twin, We Are The Music Makers (WATMM) was planned (and due to MusicFans going belly up and taking the joyrex.com domain name with them as part of the bankruptcy - long story), and in early 2001 (can't recall off the top of my head) watmm.com launched.

Various hosting companies, message board software (we started out on YABB, then Ikonboard, then IPB (current)), and finally we've reached stability with our current dedicated host and server.

Now, if I can just get the damn site going again...

I remember the nice tits thread. Where does that put me?

• Farnsworth 1

Guest Retrig

Nearly 37. Signed up in 2006 but I'd been lurking for at least a couple years previous.

Then, in early 2001, due to combination of me wanting to expand beyond just Aphex Twin, We Are The Music Makers (WATMM) was planned (and due to MusicFans going belly up and taking the joyrex.com domain name with them as part of the bankruptcy - long story), and in early 2001 (can't recall off the top of my head) watmm.com launched.

Wayback machine seems to have it listed as June 3rd, 2002: http://web.archive.org/web/20020526213055/http://www.watmm.com/

Then, in early 2001, due to combination of me wanting to expand beyond just Aphex Twin, We Are The Music Makers (WATMM) was planned (and due to MusicFans going belly up and taking the joyrex.com domain name with them as part of the bankruptcy - long story), and in early 2001 (can't recall off the top of my head) watmm.com launched.

Wayback machine seems to have it listed as June 3rd, 2002: http://web.archive.org/web/20020526213055/http://www.watmm.com/

Yeah, that sounds about right. I think the whole MusicFans thing blew up in late 2001, so launching WATMM in 2002 makes sense, and on the Joyrex.com anniversary no less.

that feel when I'm not old enough to be part of the Ancient Wisdom Monks of the WATMM

I grabbed Melodies From Mars the brief time it was up in '99 on joyrex.com I called several friends like "holy shit there's an unreleased Aphex Twin album!" lol

Then we proceeded to smoke waay too much weed.

Edited by Rubin Farr

LOL, I remember that - I recall getting a rather cross email from Grant about that... that was also the day I learned that unreleased != copyright free. :emotawesomepm9: