IGNORED

Renoise 3.0 Beta

Antape you will probably like Redux, the sampler vsti. I'm pretty sure it will have the phrase editor in it.. If not, it should. Would be perfect for drums inside Reaper. Will definetly have another go at sequencing with it as well.

I'm happy they are doing it this way instead of adding a piano roll inside Renoise.

Yeah that's definitely something I'd be using quite a lot. I never got into using Rewire to sync with Reaper.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Antape you will probably like Redux, the sampler vsti. I'm pretty sure it will have the phrase editor in it.. If not, it should. Would be perfect for drums inside Reaper. Will definetly have another go at sequencing with it as well.

I'm happy they are doing it this way instead of adding a piano roll inside Renoise.

Yeah that's definitely something I'd be using quite a lot. I never got into using Rewire to sync with Reaper.

yeah that sounds good, let's wait and have more info about it !

• 7 months later...
Guest skibby

I'm finding it a bit fatiguing to enter data, and the vertical scrolling is still weird, for example, how in the world could someone enter as many notes as in the typical breakcore idm thing without going crazy... oh...

Yeah, see I find it really fatiguing to use a piano roll for anything beyond really simple arrangements. My drum and melody compositions are so much more dynamic/complex when using a tracker!

Yeah, see I find it really fatiguing to use a piano roll for anything beyond really simple arrangements. My drum and melody compositions are so much more dynamic/complex when using a tracker!

Aye, I'm getting there with Piano Roll but it's been a tough transition from the speed I managed to programme stuff with a tracker. Bloody lovely trackers !

Guest skibby

one thing i appreciate about a piano roll is that it doesnt fly past the screen so fast my refresh rate blurs all the numbers ;)

i like that a piano roll will just sit still on the screen, and one can simply drag and drop notes at will without first having to hit escape to arm it, then of course remembering to hit escape again to disarm it.

Guest skibby

does anybody know if its possible to route different drum sounds in an instrument to different tracks, and have different effects on each sound? i try to do it (with the stock 808 kit) and only one track makes sound. if it were legal I would say lets get a renoise subforum in here. (especially since their forum is down atm)

Guest skibby

i use renoise at 480 BPM because i like pain

xrns share one with us?

how do you stop a pattern without it automatically going back to the top? really irritating trying to use the spacebar to start and stop.

does anybody know if its possible to route different drum sounds in an instrument to different tracks, and have different effects on each sound? i try to do it (with the stock 808 kit) and only one track makes sound. if it were legal I would say lets get a renoise subforum in here. (especially since their forum is down atm)

Looking at the reference sheet the Jxx command is how to route to a different effect chain/send channel

Guest skibby

Looking at the reference sheet the Jxx command is how to route to a different effect chain/send channel

wow, crazy, thanks!

i like a lot of things about renoise, like the fact that it is a sampler sequencer. but its starting to give me the FL Studio sort of vibe being 'yes you can do it, but theres only a fraction of a way to do it.' i really want to understand this program, but i feel like a landscape painter, coming from the wide open country where you can see for miles and trying to paint a landscape looking through the window of a moving subway car. so far, its like riding a skateboard for transportation rather than a bicycle (the up part of those hills...)

i mean, anything could be a DAW, i could use punch-cards too yknow?

Guest skibby

also, what good is it having a table of numbers if its moving? i for one cannot read text when it is moving that fast. rather the playcursor moved and point and click to what notes i want to change.

tips? (other than amphetamine)

It sounds like you need to turn off pattern follow. It's scroll lock in Windows & Linux. Can't remember what it is in OSX. There's a GUI button for it too. That will divorce your editing position in the pattern from the playback position. This is handy for editing a sub-loop within the pattern (which you should check out if you haven't - the key is numpad enter in Win/Linux).

There's a lot of related functions you can map to whatever key you want. For example, I like to work with longer patterns sometimes and in those situations the "play from cursor position" shortcut is really handy, so I don't have to listen to the pattern from the beginning again when I'm working halfway into it. I set that to cmd+space.

Here's some official info on it:

http://tutorials.renoise.com/w//?title=Recording_and_Editing_Notes&oldid=3839#Entering_Notes_Step_By_Step

That "edit step" thing is super handy too. I like to use this for repeating stuff like hi hats - set it to 1, 2, or 4 and then just hold the key down as it scrolls to the bottom - boom, pattern fulla hats.

Also, looks like the forums are back up.

Been using the new features in Renoise 3.0. The per-sample editing is really awesome and doing some cool functions with that is a new bucket of techniques to try out.

Not a big fan of some of the GUI changes. It turned the instrument/sample/keyzone tabs into these sub-menu things that you have to scroll around to access with. I miss the old UI :(.

Convolution and the new effects are cool, but I think a lot of the technical features are not going to see wide use as a whole.

I don't see any reason why Renoise shouldn't have a piano roll. It might be represented a bit weirdly in the program, but i think a piano roll is do-able (maybe a vertical one?) and would be a welcome addition if it can be toggled on or off. Fuck the traditionalists.

I don't see any reason why Renoise shouldn't have a piano roll. It might be represented a bit weirdly in the program, but i think a piano roll is do-able (maybe a vertical one?) and would be a welcome addition if it can be toggled on or off. Fuck the traditionalists.

This is how Buzz tackled it with the optional Piano Roll view -

pianoroll_preview.png

No man, piano rolls are the fucking worst! Trackers are great, especially for drums and pitchless noises, and for melodies they're the next best thing besides a proper score. They also are the best when it comes to effects.

I think Renoise is pretty much perfect as it is, I hope they don't make it too bloated in future versions.

No man, piano rolls are the fucking worst! Trackers are great, especially for drums and pitchless noises, and for melodies they're the next best thing besides a proper score. They also are the best when it comes to effects.

I think Renoise is pretty much perfect as it is, I hope they don't make it too bloated in future versions.

i'm not even bothering with this update because i have got 2.8 on lockdown and i just got to this point.

oh skibby this is a track I'm working on at super high bpm

https://soundcloud.com/phylazen/gorge/s-zfjL1

its a private track but I'm down to show it

i'd share the file with you but you wouldn't believe how messy and completely unorganized everything is haha I'm at a point in the writing process in this one where i don't even know where certain hits and stabs are coming from

Guest skibby

wow nice Phylazen. i dig that fast shit.

i can understand why theres no piano roll in renoise, cause piano rolls need all sorts of cc lanes or whatever, and the tracker style accomplishes enough as it is.

i learned a hard lesson today trying to do a slide on a vsti. DOH! an hour later i found out ya cant do that, can only slide samples it looks like.

by the way, the Renoise devs are doing a VST plugin called Redux, which will let you have instances of Renoise instruments in your vst hosts. That means you will be able to do tracker style loops inside your piano roll env.. Perfect solution to this problem if you ask me. Piano roll inside Renoise would just make a mess imo.

You can also apply effects per sample now—I can't think of how to do it off the top of my head but it's possible.

I guess I've just been in the tracker mindset for too long now; I always have each drum sample on a separate track, and then all of the drum tracks grouped into one 'drums' group.

I'm finding it a bit fatiguing to enter data, and the vertical scrolling is still weird, for example, how in the world could someone enter as many notes as in the typical breakcore idm thing without going crazy... oh...

Like was already answered, you can turn off pattern follow.

Also you don't need to start out programing everything with a pattern size of 512 and a bpm of 999, you can have it sound similarly on the default 64 pattern size and more intelligible bpm settings using phrases (which do have high LBP content), or using rendered bits of faster patterns to sample.

If needed, I'd sketch the global song structure on default resolution (64 length patterns) first, than auto-expand it, automatically doubling the pattern length, stretching out the note content and doubling LBP values using this tool;

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/27392-snippet-convert-song-from-lpb4-to-lpb12/?do=findComment&comment=215777

Depending on the initially used pattern length you can double the resolution a few times before reaching the max pattern length of 512 giving you plenty room for ridiculous fast note placement.

With learning anything new it takes time and dedication. I started tracking in '93, from experience I can tell you numbers are bound to stick after a while :) ... if you get how rhythms translate to a grid, know where to place kicks and snares, you can fill the inbetweens with whatever kind of percussion and it will sound funky. Translating larger musical gestures (melodic progression), spanning multiple patterns has always been harder in a tracker, because of less visual oversight. The pattern matrix has been a blessing for this imo with the birds eye overview.

Maybe ideally, depending on the kind of music you wish to make, you don't want to rely on visual placement too much, but rather look away from the monitor and listen. Set up a few basic drum patterns, link up a midi controller, (add a recorder plugin to a track or master output) and record tweakage live. Than keep the good bits and build a track out of it, you don't necessarily have to build every track from the ground up.

This tool is good for recording live, it auto-clones patterns selected in the sequence list, enabling you to jam / record while it is playing;

http://www.renoise.com/tools/auto-clone-patterns (dunno if it auto-updates correctly in version 3.0)

There are also tools like livedive ( http://www.renoise.com/tools/live-dive ), which let you record re-arrangements of tracks on the fly, never used it myself though.

There are different ways to go about this depending on what workflow you prefer. If I have a multi-sampled drumkit instrument, I'll program a beat in one track, than eventually use this tool to automatically divide each hit into a new track (and optionally auto-collect all split tracks in a group);

http://www.renoise.com/tools/split-into-separate-tracks (dunno if it auto-updates correctly to Renoise 3).

As of version 3, you can also set-up fx chains per hit inside the instrument editor, but know that dividing such instrument notes across more than 1 track will give problems (effected notes cutting each other off) because of the way Renoise works internally. If going this route of fx chains set-up in the instrument editor, you're supposed to keep the particular instrument in one track.

I rather separate tracks from the beginning, have a kick, snare, hats etcetera track and apply effects per track.

how do you stop a pattern without it automatically going back to the top? really irritating trying to use the spacebar to start and stop.

I changed some behavior in the settings so spacebar is used to toggle record on/off, stopping a pattern where the cursor resides (old fasttracker behavior). I think on default installation esc button is used for this?

i like a lot of things about renoise, like the fact that it is a sampler sequencer. but its starting to give me the FL Studio sort of vibe being 'yes you can do it, but theres only a fraction of a way to do it.' i really want to understand this program, but i feel like a landscape painter, coming from the wide open country where you can see for miles and trying to paint a landscape looking through the window of a moving subway car. so far, its like riding a skateboard for transportation rather than a bicycle (the up part of those hills...)

i mean, anything could be a DAW, i could use punch-cards too yknow?

You need more time, and than still certain tools will do things better than others, especially if you're already used to achieving a sound using the other tool. Redux will be good for those wanting to track beats inside a piano-roll environment.

Piano roll inside Renoise would just make a mess imo.

there are some tools trying to get a piano-roll vibe, dunno if it is a limitation in the Lua scripting engine or the scripters ability, but I rather see a good full-fledged pianoroll tool dealing with this than a native tab.

Guest skibby

shameless bump,

does anyone use version 3 or do you still use older versions?

also, if you have bought renoise, how often do secret updates happen? also whats backstage like?

Archived