IGNORED

Live Acid

Guest ACIDBAT

Guest ACIDBAT

just lookin for more heads who focus on live hardware setups.. what do you use, whats your approach? i base my sets on loosely planned ideas, usually write all new patterns for each show, recycle some but rework them live, do alot of live programming and such…

I have a live electronic band with two friends, I guess our problematic in live playing is different as performing solo as we've six hands instead of two, but we use a Korg Electribe SX for the beats + some mono synth loops, a Yamaha DX9 and a MIDI keyboard (AKAI something, it has some controllers and a good arpeggiator) controlling some VSTis on Abelton Live. The ESX sends a clock to the computer, which sends it back to the MIDI keyboard through MIDI-OX (so that the arpeggiator of the MIDI kbd is well synced). The Live sessions does a bit of mixing too, but basically we launch MIDI-OX, Abelton Live and then we're ready to go.

This setup is quite funny to play with but if I was the only one to decide I'd get rid of Live and use Reaper instead (we had a problem with it regarding the MIDI kbd dealing with VSTis but I'm sure there's a solution, didn't take the time to look at it so far). I also recently bought a Yamaha CS1X and believe we could replace the MIDI keyboard with it but I don't think my friends would like it. We still need to discuss several points about this config anyway.

I never played live for my own music because I never figured out (or really took the time to do it) how I could translate my tracks (which can be pretty complicated) in a live configuration. I don't want to play the tracks and move my ass to it while turning some knobs randomly. I think I could export a lot of sample from my tracks, run them through the Electribe and reprogram simpler beats, then trigger some recorded synth parts above it and play some other parts live with some knob twiddling, but I don't know how to bring all those things together.

I always feel like I don't take enough time to make music and every time I do I prefer to work on a new track rather than thinking about a live config and re-writing stuff for it...

so what about your config ?

oh, I just figured out you could ask exclusively for acid music. Well there's some acid in this band project but I guess that's not especially the focus, sorry if I've been out of topic...

just lookin for more heads who focus on live hardware setups.. what do you use, whats your approach? i base my sets on loosely planned ideas, usually write all new patterns for each show, recycle some but rework them live, do alot of live programming and such…

my favorite approach for 'acid' specifically is to use a sequencer which works well for improvisation as the main live element i'm doing during this kind of set. specifically the Frostwave fat controller, which has 16 faders and sends out MIDI or cv. The nice thing about this sequencer for me is that improvising a sequence on the fly is very easy and usually sounds pretty good once you get the hang of it. I'm personally not a fan of creating preset patterns as the entire basis for hardware based sets, to me it's almost like using abelton loops to construct a set, almost defeating the purpose of the interactivity and immediacy of hardware. But that's just me, whenever i bring actual hardware/gear to a show, at least 1/3rd of it is entirely done on the fly

recently thoiugh i've been using a combination of software based acid synths and sequencers from reaktor in sync with hardware sequencers with an analog4 and small modular system.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played out but I regularly jam with numerology and a launchpad controlling hardware. It's all run through a mixer with sends and a couple of feedback loops through gear for some interesting textures. Then I trigger patterns and play the mixer.

Guest Hanratty

recently thoiugh i've been using a combination of software based acid synths and sequencers from reaktor in sync with hardware sequencers with an analog4 and small modular system.

If you don't mind me asking, what Reaktor sequencers do you like to use? I was just figuring out how to get Reaktor sequencers to control my brand new single piece of hardware last night (Minibrute). I was using a sequencer called Nod-e. It's pretty cool.

good question, there are many different options in reaktor. I use one that I relabeled and now i can't figure out what it's officially called, but if you're on the newest build of reaktor I'd happily send it over to you. Its a pretty straight forward 16step sequencer that has a swing control, roll option for each step, random/fwd/bkwd/pingpong play mode, length of sequence control, start/stop point settings, velocity and gate time for each step, and a random note on/off switch for each step with a random range.
very light CPU load too

but if you wanna get weird with it just check out some of the more strange sequencers like Spiral

found it:

http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=userlibrary&type=0&ulbr=1&plview=detail&patchid=8135

pretty much my go to sequencer for live hardware performance within reaktor, i also forgot it has a pretty extensive scale library and can lock any note to a particular scale

1234703518_thumb_8135_StepScaleS.gif

Archived